Dele Alli - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Dele Alli - Player Thread

Alli has gone up a gear since Jose has arrived. Not even you can deny that pj.

He is playing better still not world class . Got 2 goals but missed a few more . Gave the ball away a lot and that pass to Kane was only equalled by Sissoko's poor pass . I am not saying he is not a decent player . All I am saying he is not world class yet and people who compare him to Gazza are way off the mark

It occurred to me yesterday that Dele needs to spend a little more time with the video analyst at the club. I think he needs to be able to visualise the impacts of his decision making. Some of it is fantastic like the Kane goal. A lot of it is wasteful though and he is over complicating things. We know the guy has amazing talent and he is now looking fitter, so perhaps letting him see what we all see might help him adjust.

I do think Dele can be great...I think the main issue is he goes silent for vast stretches of the game...which we can't have. Though to be fair this is true for many players on our team.

I also think his poor play is a direct result of the chaotic, inconsistent, erratic, purely retarded, substandard, un-creative play of the folks around him. (and yeah Dele is also not playing well)

I know everyone knows I am a Lamela fan...but something happened when he came on. Immediately our attack became more direct and we began pressing them and forcing mistakes. Dele became more involved and he improved.

I use Lamela as an example. Bottom line - we need better AMs...guys that are cool and composed on the ball and for the love of God...can actually pass.

If teams are going to continually high press us...and they should...I would...then we need to get MUCH better at passing and making decisions quickly.

I do think Dele can be great...I think the main issue is he goes silent for vast stretches of the game...which we can't have. Though to be fair this is true for many players on our team.

I also think his poor play is a direct result of the chaotic, inconsistent, erratic, purely retarded, substandard, un-creative play of the folks around him. (and yeah Dele is also not playing well)

I know everyone knows I am a Lamela fan...but something happened when he came on. Immediately our attack became more direct and we began pressing them and forcing mistakes. Dele became more involved and he improved.

I use Lamela as an example. Bottom line - we need better AMs...guys that are cool and composed on the ball and for the love of God...can actually pass.

If teams are going to continually high press us...and they should...I would...then we need to get MUCH better at passing and making decisions quickly.

How many times have we said Lamela made a difference ? We know he can do it , it's just his body let's him down....oh for a sustained period of fitness.

At the age of 23 Dele has almost twice the goals and assists of Lampard and Gerrard put together, yes both together. Individually they dont even come close.
He was asked the other day can Jose make him world class and he sniggered. He could have come back with.....were Lampard and Gerrard world class?

At the age of 23 Dele has almost twice the goals and assists of Lampard and Gerrard put together, yes both together. Individually they dont even come close.
He was asked the other day can Jose make him world class and he sniggered. He could have come back with.....were Lampard and Gerrard world class?

Worth mentioning that Gerrard went through a phase where he was over-complicating things and missing all of his key passes. I remember getting massively frustrated with him when watching live for England especially those stupid dinks he used to do. I'm still hoping it's a phase and Dele calibrates over time.

It occurred to me yesterday that Dele needs to spend a little more time with the video analyst at the club. I think he needs to be able to visualise the impacts of his decision making. Some of it is fantastic like the Kane goal. A lot of it is wasteful though and he is over complicating things. We know the guy has amazing talent and he is now looking fitter, so perhaps letting him see what we all see might help him adjust.

It seems to me you are finally coming round to what a few of us have been seeing and saying for a long time. Your idea sounds good in theory, but maybe you haven’t accounted for Alli’s over-inflated ego. A direct upgrade is what we need, who is not ponderous, less wasteful, has a better attitude and doesn’t over complicate things. I think Jose’s idea of making Alli the focal point of the team isn’t right when so many areas of his game are sub-standard. We need a better player to build the team around.

Dele isn't fit to lace either's boots. At club level Gerrard and Lampard were world class.

It seems to me you are finally coming round to what a few of us have been seeing and saying for a long time. Your idea sounds good in theory, but maybe you haven’t accounted for Alli’s over-inflated ego. A direct upgrade is what we need, who is not ponderous, less wasteful, has a better attitude and doesn’t over complicate things. I think Jose’s idea of making Alli the focal point of the team isn’t right when so many areas of his game are sub-standard. We need a better player to build the team around.

An upgrade isn't happening. What he needs is real competition. When Eriksen goes we really don't have anyone else.

I'm not coming round at all. I've always been exactly the same with Dele and still totally back the lad. He's a 23 year old that needs to adjust his game as he moves into his best years. I see him over-complicating things but I don't relate that to ego, arrogance, attitude etc. He's just trying too hard in that no10 position and needs to adjust. Hopefully Jose and the team can take some pressure off of him and help him relax a little on the pitch.

One minor point, we shouldn't be building our team around any single player. That's what we did with Eriksen and every time he didn't play we were awful. Finally he shut down on us and we went into free fall. I want different players stepping up on the creative side and this pressure on Dele removed.

At 23 he has eclipsed their performance , what lays ahead the trend may change of course.

On goals and assists maybe. But in terms of technical ability and the ability to control games at the highest level Dele is nowhere near them at the same age.

When does Dele ever control the game? He doesn't.

Technically Lampard and Gerrard didnt show Alli's level of skill. Think of the recent flick lob and finish to score and his Gazza like flick over the defenders head and goal from a few years ago and.many more subtle finishes etc. The first drew gasps of admiration from ex players who could only dream of doing such things.
It is true Dele does try the audacious but he also can keep it simple with weighted through balls as demonstrated for the Kane penalty and many more before. The fancy stuff is usually when he is surrounded with not many options.

Technically Lampard and Gerrard didnt show Alli's level of skill. Think of the recent flick lob and finish to score and his Gazza like flick over the defenders head and goal from a few years ago and.many more subtle finishes etc. The first drew gasps of admiration from ex players who could only dream of doing such things.
It is true Dele does try the audacious but he also can keep it simple with weighted through balls as demonstrated for the Kane penalty and many more before. The fancy stuff is usually when he is surrounded with not many options.

I'm totally with you on this. At 23 Lamps had only just moved to Chelsea and got 7 goals from 53 games. He was emerging, but not the player he became. At 23 Gerrard was nowhere near controlling the midfield. It was Didi Hammam and Danny Murphy in that engine room with him. In fact Gerrard got a massive 6 goals in this equivalent season even though he played 47 times in a top 4 side.

Dele should not be targeting what Lamps and Gerrard were as 23 year olds as he's already there. It's the next chapter is where he needs to step up a couple of levels to stay with them.

I'm totally with you on this. At 23 Lamps had only just moved to Chelsea and got 7 goals from 53 games. He was emerging, but not the player he became. At 23 Gerrard was nowhere near controlling the midfield. It was Didi Hammam and Danny Murphy in that engine room with him. In fact Gerrard got a massive 6 goals in this equivalent season even though he played 47 times in a top 4 side.

Dele should not be targeting what Lamps and Gerrard were as 23 year olds as he's already there. It's the next chapter is where he needs to step up a couple of levels to stay with them.

I guess its how we see Alli as a contributor to the team. Lampard and Gerrard were leaders who scored a few, Alli scores more and assists more but leads less at the moment. If he can bring that element and maturity to his game he may continue to be compared later in his career. He is compared perhaps unfairly to them and them to him.

He’ll have the competition when the upgrade arrives, if not be prepared for more giving the ball away and going missing.

I can't believe Jose is a total idiot and thinks this over rated chancer is the real thing.

I'm hoping Jose sees right through the clown but just has him a bit further down the hit list so is talking crap to keep him sweet, I'm sure FO Alli's chavlike ego will swallow it.