Dele Alli - Player Thread | Vital Football

Dele Alli - Player Thread

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
Noticed his profile is building. Driving along the M4 and A4 in London. Billboards with him on advertising various stuff. Also his new goal celebration salute doing the rounds....can you do it ?
He seems to have hit the ground running this season , not just on the pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan, Alli, Christian all not signed... Has Levy taken his eye of the football side of things....

Like it or not and forwhatever reason, there are clubs who are financially much much bigger than us, who can double/triple wages and every player that picks up the accolades of playing in a team that's over-performed will be being told by their agent of interest and bigger deals that are beyond us....

The same way when agents acting for us identifies players we can buy.

It's a dog eats dog business and always will be.

Like it or not and forwhatever reason, there are clubs who are financially much much bigger than us, who can double/triple wages and every player that picks up the accolades of playing in a team that's over-performed will be being told by their agent of interest and bigger deals that are beyond us....

The same way when agents acting for us identifies players we can buy.

It's a dog eats dog business and always will be.

Personally would like to see our transfer "war chest" used on these 3

Personally would like to see our transfer "war chest" used on these 3

So would I, but seriously agents when they do upgrade deals get far less than when they make a move happen and so it all depends on the player/his advisors and what they want career wise to happen.

I wish I could publish a whatsapp thread of a transfer dialogue/negotiation here as an example of how agents/players/clubs behave - most fans would be disgusted at it.

There are huge tax implications over how 'golden hello's are paid - so to you and me we might just say 'pay Toby a 10 mill bonus and another 10 mill to his agent and keep him on board' but as he is employed by us it would be impossible to avoid 45% on that money.

Pay the same at a new club (even better if it's abroad) and the nominal tax rate because it will be wrapped up in buying his marketing rights via his holding company and the tax paid is likely to be nil.....

Signed his new 6 year deal today.

"It's an honour for me to sign a new contract at this club that's done so much for me so far and yeah, hopefully, many more great memories to come," Alli said in a video posted on Twitter.

And, writing on Twitter, he said: "Delighted to have signed a new contract until 2024. Would like to say a big thank you to the chairman, manager, all my teammates and the fans for their constant support. I've loved my time at [Tottenham] so far and I'm very excited to see what the future holds!"

Great news.......come on Christian, you know it makes sense !!!

If Christian and Toby sign that will be great however we can't allow new deals to paper over the cracks.

If Christian and Toby sign that will be great however we can't allow new deals to paper over the cracks.

My view on it is that there is nothing that we can do or say that will change the last transfer window. Whilst acknowledging the mis-execution, that's looking backwards.

All we can do is get our players signed to long term deals and get going again in the next transfer windows. We're about to see our first major churn of players for a while and we need to sign the right replacements. Yes, like a lot of fans.......I'm nervous !!!

However, when a 22 year old with the talent of Dele signs a 6 year deal.......I'm chuffed to bits !!!

Spurs related, that's the best news we have had for a while.

With Dembele, Wana looking finished, he must step up now, it's his time to become our best midfielder. If we do not sign a CM he should be dropped deeper.

Spurs related, that's the best news we have had for a while.

With Dembele, Wana looking finished, he must step up now, it's his time to become our best midfielder. If we do not sign a CM he should be dropped deeper.
I've posted before I think that's his best position, he works hard and is tenacious. We've also missed those late runs into the box, Winks and Alli could be superb for us. But for that to work we need a more mobile holding player in the Kante mould IMO, maybe Barios or Ndombele would fit that role.

not his most destructive performance today but still key to first two goals - a little fortune with both but he connects the attacking player better than anyone.

So, as many of us have said, last season was a lack lustre one where he appeared to many of us to go backwards...it seems he knows it too...

Dele Alli: I have a lot to prove this season
Tottenham star is targeting a big campaign for Spurs and England after a run of injuries, writes Paul Hirst in Shanghai
Paul Hirst
July 24 2019, 12:01am, The Times

The gym was placed at such an angle that the windows looked out on to the first-team training pitches. The theory was that those players undertaking their rehabilitation would be inspired and motivated to return to action. For Dele Alli, that gym was his second home for much of last season. The 23-year-old spent 14 weeks out of action thanks to hand, thigh and hamstring injuries. He missed 22 matches of the club’s most exciting season in a generation and it is not something he wants to repeat any time soon.

“It was the most injuries I’ve had in a season and it’s tough not just physically but mentally as well,” Alli said. “We had a great season as a team but individually I was disappointed to get the injuries. I’ve got to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

Speak to those who work with Alli at Spurs and they will tell you that the England midfielder is someone who has a positive outlook on life. That is why he was happy to give up an hour of his time to have a kickabout with 100 local schoolchildren in Shanghai yesterday despite searing temperatures.

Alli has several other reasons to be cheerful. He performed superbly in the opening match of Tottenham’s tour to Asia — a 3-2 win over Juventus on Sunday. He has a chance to improve his form, which dipped last season, and win a place in Gareth Southgate’s England team for Euro 2020. “For England, we’re heading in the right direction as well. It’s very similar to here at Tottenham,” Alli said. “There’s a massive tournament coming up and we’ve got to keep making sure we prove we deserve to be in the team.”

The good news for Alli is that Tottenham’s record signing could help him rediscover the deadly attacking form of three years ago when he scored 23 goals in all competitions.

Spurs managed to beat other clubs to the £54 million signing of Tanguy Ndombélé, the France midfielder, from Lyons, and judging by his performance in Singapore, his purchase looks a wise one. Quite often last season Alli had to play deeper, leaving the attacking to Christian Eriksen, Son Heung-min and Lucas Moura, who would play behind Harry Kane.

Ndombélé’s role will be to cover the defence, which should give Alli more chance to attack.

“He looks comfortable and he’s a great player,” Alli said. “It’s always nice to know you have people behind you and you don’t have to worry about defending.”

Injuries: It's why a full preseason is so critical these days when you play a high press game, as the season wears on - factually, more and more injuries occur now of the type he suffered - add that to not enough time to recover between them/games and you have a recipe for a decline...

Last year he had no preseason.

I hope he's had a decent rest and didn't use too much energy in his now renewed personal relationship, which also took a toll when they split last year.

Last edited:
We need him back , fit , and playing in his most effective position , making those killing runs into the heart of the opposition defence.
If Not Dembélé can spot and use those runs , it could be a great season

Quite a few of our players had lack lustre seasons. Kane scored 27 goals, season before 52. Tripps fell from grace, Dier had his problems, Eriksen fell away latter half. Each had different reasons but some in common, in particular WC fatigue and subsequent injuries.

Dele had fatigue, injuries, personal instability, playing a different role among possible reasons. I don't think it's rocket science or insightful identifying he performed under par.

I am confident he will come good.