Current Squad: June 2020 | Page 14 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

This is where we stand against the 22-man squad requirement:

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Ross, Walsh (15)

U21:
Adebayo-Smith, Bradley, Eyoma, Roughan, Scully (5)

Update following the arrival of Remy Howarth:

Goalkeepers: (1)
Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021)

Defenders: (7)
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half
Max Melbourne, 21 (June 2022) Left-back
Aaron Lewis, 22 (June 2021) Right-back
Adam Jackson, 26 (unknown) Centre-half
Joe Walsh, 28 (unknown)
Centre-half
TJ Eyoma, 20 (season loan from Spurs) Right-back / centre half

Ben Coker, 31 (June 2021) Left-back On season loan at Stevenage

Central Midfielders: (6)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022)
Liam Bridcutt, 31 (unknown)
Jorge Grant, 25 (unknown)
Alex Bradley, 21 (unknown)
Conor McGrandles, 24 (unknown)

Wingers: (4)
Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal')
Harry Anderson, 23 (unknown, extension signed in July 2019)
Theo Archibald, 22 (unknown)
Remy Howarth, 22 (June 2021)

Strikers: (3)
Tom Hopper, 26 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)
Jordan Adebayo-Smith, 19 (June 2021)

Total: 21
Contracted: 21
In on loan: 1
Out on loan: 1

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 3 months
(excluding players out on loan)

Current average ages in each department (excluding Ben Coker):

Goalkeeper: 23 years 3 months

Defence: 22 years 6 months

Central midfield: 24 years 10 months

Wingers: 22 years 7 months

Strikers: 22 years 4 months

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Howarth, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Ross, Walsh (16)

U21:
Adebayo-Smith, Bradley, Eyoma, Roughan, Scully (5)

Update following the arrival of Alex Palmer and Callum Morton:

Goalkeepers: (2)
Alex Palmer, 24 (season loan from WBA)
Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021)

Defenders: (7)
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half
Max Melbourne, 21 (June 2022) Left-back
Aaron Lewis, 22 (June 2021) Right-back
Adam Jackson, 26 (unknown) Centre-half
Joe Walsh, 28 (unknown)
Centre-half
TJ Eyoma, 20 (season loan from Spurs) Right-back / centre half

Ben Coker, 31 (June 2021) Left-back On season loan at Stevenage

Central Midfielders: (6)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022)
Liam Bridcutt, 31 (unknown)
Jorge Grant, 25 (unknown)
Alex Bradley, 21 (unknown)
Conor McGrandles, 24 (unknown)

Wingers: (4)
Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal')
Harry Anderson, 23 (unknown, extension signed in July 2019)
Theo Archibald, 22 (unknown)
Remy Howarth, 22 (June 2021)

Strikers: (3)
Tom Hopper, 26 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)
Jordan Adebayo-Smith, 19 (June 2021)

Callum Morton, 20 (season loan from WBA)

Total: 23
Contracted: 21
In on loan: 3
Out on loan: 1

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 1 month
(excluding players out on loan)

Goalkeeper: 23 years 6 months

Strikers: 21 years 11 months

21+:
Anderson, Archibald, Bridcutt, Edun, Elbouzedi, Grant, Hopper, Howarth, Jackson, Jones, Lewis, McGrandles, Melbourne, Montsma, Palmer, Ross, Walsh (17)

U21:
Adebayo-Smith, Bradley, Eyoma, Morton, Roughan, Scully (6)

If we count players with squad numbers (3 more scholars but not JAS) must be the youngest squad we’ve ever had?
Probably, certainly in my 50 years watching.

Furthermore, is it my imagination, or does this look the most balanced squad we have had in a long time?

Probably, certainly in my 50 years watching.

Furthermore, is it my imagination, or does this look the most balanced squad we have had in a long time?

Well there certainly can't be any pointy fingers over too many central midfielders now ( not that there should have been this time last year in all reality)

I must say, it's probably the squad with the most potential we've had for a quite a while. Potential is always a dangerous word but with the likes of Lewis, Edun, Roughlan, Scully, Jones and, albeit on loan, Palmer and Morton it should be exciting if nothing else. I started watching Lincoln in 2002 (young pup, me...) and I can't remember a squad with a younger average age?

My main concern going back a few weeks was the experience in the squad and whether we'd be too young/inexperienced but if you look through the spine of the team, in Palmer (L2 GK of the Year, Plymouth Player of the Year, most clean sheets), Jackson (L1 promotion), Bridcutt (spent most of his career in the Championship) and Hopper (bags of L1 experience) we've made sure that we have a pretty solid spine.

My other concern was a lack of height/physicality i.e. doing a Notts County a couple of seasons back, but with Palmer (who looks huge!) and a back four of TJ, Jackson, Walsh, Melbourne (I'm guessing that's probably our strongest backline) there's decent height there and McGrandles and Jones are far taller than I thought they were. Throw in Hopper and Montsma, the power of Anderson, the tenacity of Scully and Bridcutt and if feels like we've got players who could given a decent account of themselves regardless of how the games pan out. At L2 and NL level, it always felt it was one or the other - physical or technical - but we, or I, are probably seeing now that at L1, players have both.

Nothing will go perfect, don't get me wrong, but I think we've put together a squad as best that we could have done. It's doesn't feel particularly light in any areas and it doesn't feel like it lacks any particular attributes either. Well, not yet anyway. We'll soon find out...

Room for a couple more loan players in if required and probably a few younger ones out once the injuries are cleared up.

MA also highlighted the importance of versatility in building the squad, stretching resources further in what will be a strange and demanding season.
I think MA has been very clever in building this squad: by
- removing the Danny Cowley hangover;
- reducing the wage bill;
- drastically reducing the average age
- adding versatility in terms of positional fluidity;
- transforming an ageing squad from one that could not have coped with the intensive match schedule into one that can;
- contracting young players with a sell-on value in place of ageing players with none;
- building connections with senior clubs able to supply outstanding players for L1;
- signing a squad of players that can excite the fans by its football, rather than by its ability to win games at any cost.

The proof of the pudding will be in its eating. Spoons at the ready!

The thing that excites me is that almost all the squad is ‘our own’ with only three (albeit important) loan signings. 👏👏

Goalkeeper: 23 years 6 months

Strikers: 21 years 11 months

That’s amazing data. Someone normally produces a squad age infographic - we must be right up there with the youngest squad.

I think MA has been very clever in building this squad: by
- removing the Danny Cowley hangover;
- reducing the wage bill;
- drastically reducing the average age
- adding versatility in terms of positional fluidity;
- transforming an ageing squad from one that could not have coped with the intensive match schedule into one that can;
- contracting young players with a sell-on value in place of ageing players with none;
- building connections with senior clubs able to supply outstanding players for L1;
- signing a squad of players that can excite the fans by its football, rather than by its ability to win games at any cost.

The proof of the pudding will be in its eating. Spoons at the ready!

You were spot on until your last point...

Few fans get excited about their team losing, not in a positive way, anyhow.

The appetite for winning "at any cost" was evident from the Cowley era...

and quite right too

the point is after all to beat the other team, anyway you can, within the rules as decided by the referee.

It's what makes sport sport

It's not "Strictly Come Dancing" where someones opinion of how good and pretty your movements were, decides the winner.

It's about scoring more goals than the opposition, nothing else.

I think Sincilbanks has a phrase for it..

You were spot on until your last point...

Few fans get excited about their team losing, not in a positive way, anyhow.

The appetite for winning "at any cost" was evident from the Cowley era...

and quite right too

the point is after all to beat the other team, anyway you can, within the rules as decided by the referee.

It's what makes sport sport

It's not "Strictly Come Dancing" where someones opinion of how good and pretty your movements were, decides the winner.

It's about scoring more goals than the opposition, nothing else.

I think Sincilbanks has a phrase for it..
Where I would slightly disagree is we’re now at our highest level for 60 years. Hopefully not a single person expects us to be Champions as we have been in the two divisions below.
So if we’re more likely to be mid-table say, then the quality of the product is going to have an influence on the attendance.
That said, if you offer me a win at all costs campaign in L1 like 2017 or 2019 I would bite your hand off.