Current Squad: June 2020 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Now the season has been concluded and the retained list takes effect, this is what we have with ages and contract dates. Some positions are fluid - what is Melbourne's best position, and is Grant really a winger?

Goalkeepers: (0)

Defenders: (4)
Max Melbourne, 21 (June 2022)
Ben Coker, 31 (June 2021)
Cian Bolger, 28 (June 2021)
Aaron Lewis, 22 (June 2021)

Central Midfielders: (4)
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022)
Jack Payne, 25 (June 2021)
Jorge Grant, 25 (unknown)
Alex Bradley, 21 (unknown)

Ellis Chapman,19 (out of contract)

Wingers: (2)
Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal')
Harry Anderson, 23 (unknown, extension signed in July 2019)

Strikers: (3)
Tom Hopper, 26 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)
Jordan Adebayo-Smith, 19 (June 2021)

Total: 13
Contracted: 13
On loan: 0
Out of contract: 1

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 10 months (excluding Ellis Chapman)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Lewis was announced as an 18 month deal when he signed his contract Christmas time

Other than the obvious lack of a goalkeeper, and another central defender there's still a very decent first XI at the club

GK TBA
RB Lewis
CB Bolger
CB TBA
LB Melbourne
RW Anderson
CM Edun
CM Payne
LW Grant
ST Scully
ST Hopper

Possibly a bit lightweight in the middle of the park but still not a bad start at all

A skilful looking core to the squad but short of keepers and monsters. MApp will no doubt find some bargains to slot in, players will want to play for him and in front of our great support.

Always positive before a season begins, so it looks like we should be capable of a playoff position, me thinks.

If the choice came to whether Bossie wanted to play for a team in Div 2 or Div 1 I think Bossie would choose Div 1 with City.
For all we know they have probably had a chat between them both over Bossie returning.

Hope you are right, seems Mansfield are very interested.

Mansfield are interesting as I'm not convinced their Chairman was as dedicated to the cause even before Covid so if they do sign Bossie it would be a signal of renewed intent on his part.

Mansfield are interesting as I'm not convinced their Chairman was as dedicated to the cause even before Covid so if they do sign Bossie it would be a signal of renewed intent on his part.

Haven't they moved to Portugal, or something?

Perhaps they've realised that pissing away millions on a small club from one of the "less fashionable" areas of the East Midlands wasn't as much fun as they'd hoped.

I am sure there will be enough clubs that will still spend a sh1t load in the attempt to try and buy their way up the leagues!

Haven't they moved to Portugal, or something?

Perhaps they've realised that pissing away millions on a small club from one of the "less fashionable" areas of the East Midlands wasn't as much fun as they'd hoped.

They've been in Portugal quite a while and their internal management replacement for Flitcroft was a very cheap option albeit the Bristol Rovers replacement for him would have cost a bit more. I don't seem to recall the big signings last/this season either. Admittedly they had a few off field distractions and apparent bad eggs in the camp which can't have helped.

I am sure there will be enough clubs that will still spend a sh1t load in the attempt to try and buy their way up the leagues!

More than usual I would have thought - the gambling types will be thinking that most of their rivals will be trying to make cut backs so the fast lane to success might be a bit clearer.

The next transfer window is really going to show the new landscape of which clubs have survived better than others. There are only a handful of really well run clubs in Leagues 1/2, only a few truly big clubs with significant fan bases and only a few with seemingly bottomless rich benefactors. Even some of the clubs in those three categories are likely to suffer and have to restock. The well run clubs will have been stalled by Covid, the big clubs will have the potential over time to recover but may take a bigger initial hit and the benefactors for the third group may have other business interests which are problematic.

The reports suggest that 'Mansfield are prepared to spend big' to try and get their promotion, hence the link with Bossie. However this so called big spending could be difficult if the proposed/suggested EFL Salary Caps come in.