Current Squad: June 2020 | Page 11 | Vital Football

Current Squad: June 2020

Watch out for the red bus from Manchester full of loanees or failing that the Baggies !
How much connection does MA still have at Manure? He's been away from there an awful long time. I would imagine the West Brom angle is likelier which isn't such a bad thing as he will know their players and I believe they have been highly thought of at U23s level.

Update following the arrival of Timothy Eyoma:

Goalkeepers: (1)
Ethan Ross, 23 (June 2021)

Defenders: (7)
Lewis Montsma, 22 (June 2023) Centre-half
Sean Roughan, 17 (June 2023) Centre-half
Max Melbourne, 21 (June 2022) Left-back

Ben Coker, 31 (June 2021) Left-back On season loan at Stevenage
Cian Bolger, 28 (June 2021) Centre-half
Aaron Lewis, 22 (June 2021) Right-back

TJ Eyoma, 20 (season loan from Spurs) Right-back / centre half

Central Midfielders: (6)
James Jones, 24 (June 2023)
Tayo Edun, 22 (June 2022)
Liam Bridcutt, 31 (unknown)
Jorge Grant, 25 (unknown)
Alex Bradley, 21 (unknown)
Conor McGrandles, 24 (unknown)

Wingers: (2)
Zack Elbouzedi, 22 (unknown, 'long-term deal')
Harry Anderson, 23 (unknown, extension signed in July 2019)

Strikers: (3)
Tom Hopper, 26 (June 2023)
Anthony Scully, 21 (June 2021)
Jordan Adebayo-Smith, 19 (June 2021)

Total: 18
Contracted: 18
In on loan: 1
Out on loan: 1

Average age at 30 June 2020: 23 years 2 months
(excluding players out on loan)

Current average ages in each department (excluding Ben Coker):

Goalkeeper: 23 years 3 months

Defence: 21 years 11 months

Central midfield: 24 years 10 months

Wingers: 22 years 9 months

Strikers: 22 years 4 months

Why are people so sure that Lewis Montsma isn't good enough?

I don't think anyone thinks he's not good enough. It is, however, a gamble to take a young lad from Dutch League 2 and slot him into the middle of the defence in League 1 and have no alternative to playing him if he sinks rather than swims early on. He has less than 50 first class appearance to his name in his entire career?

If only because he will have to adapt to many, many things apart from the football and that alone would be a substantial challenge. New country to adapt to, away from family and friends and all the other things that make picking up your things and dropping them in another country a challenge.

It could easily be 6 months to a year before we see the best of him.

I hope that's not the case,I hope he hits the ground running and becomes someone we can sell on for a huge profit in a short period of time and a new club legend but it's asking an awful lot of the young lad to achieve that...

I really like how the squad is shaping up. We have lots of young hungry and exciting prospects. There will be lots of ups and downs with a young team but wow I am looking forward to see how it develops.

We are going to have a very athletic, mobile, quick and technically adept team. Nobody knows how this season will pan out and what teams clubs will be able to put out but I think we have far more to be excited about rather than worry about as a lot of other clubs do at this stage.

Everybody else is just green,
Have you seen the chart?
It's a hell of a start,
It could be made into a monster,
If we all pull together as a team.

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it "Riding The Gravy Train".

© Roger Waters

Come in here dear boy and Have a Cigar after that little rendition.

One experienced cb and one quick athletic youngster could work. Currently the question for me: is Bolger capable of the bridcutt-type experienced head role in central defence?

I find the optimism on here unsettling. I am preparing for a relegation battle and hoping a significant number of clubs have a worse financial situation than us and poorer coaches.

I find the optimism on here unsettling. I am preparing for a relegation battle and hoping a significant number of clubs have a worse financial situation than us and poorer coaches.

Why would you feel that?? We're building a good young squad, I feel we'll be midtable knocking on the door to the top half.

We have our first game on Saturday away to Peterborough, two 75-minute halves.

Peterborough are way ahead of us fitness-wise, they have already played four pre-season games (and won all four by 1-0, 4-2, 8-0 and 2-0 today at Mansfield).

I always expect relegation. Except under the Cowleys when I expected lower mid table.