#COVID19 | Page 393 | Vital Football

#COVID19

2013 I think.
Big changes since. We're working over there with the current boss :) They kicked all the white industry guys out a few years ago and are having to beg borrow and steal talent

I actually find the local Zimbabwean talent (guys above 35) to be the best HR there probably is in the whole of Africa.

Not sure if that will be replicated by the younger generation as Mugabe decimated the education system.

It isn't remotely accurate and never can be.

I don't know about unconscious bias but it's all guess work.

If a student comes to me wanting AAA and the best test evidence I have is BCC they aren't going to get what they want no matter what their heritage.

If they come to me for AAA and they are on ABB (maybe even a little less) and teachers are telling met there is real sign of steady progress then I'm going to give them that, especially if they honestly believe they'll get it.

That's the problem with making predicted grades 6-9 months before exams; there is a hell of a long way to go, the most important work hasn't been done yet and if you are going to do justice and change lives you have to speculate a bit and believe in them.

In fairness, I know people who do similar roles to me who are much more robotic and by the book than I am, far less idealistic and maybe unconscious bias comes in there..
I feel sorry for your Mrs because what they are getting from us, especially at the lower end is dodgy as hell. But the universities respond with hardly any courses offering below BCC. So what else are we supposed to do with a student predicted CDD? You believe in their chance of improving, you aim to generate an offer for them and hope it gets them motivated. Both sides are playing the game. The unis are desperate for students at the end of the day and what they are accepting on results day is a joke compared to their up front requirements.

One problem with doing applications after as well is that I suspect you are going to lose a lot of disadvantaged students and especially boys, many if whom are simply not as good at seeing the bigger picture and working to very long term goals. Far too many boys I work with, in the face of hard work and pressure will just think "fuck it, I'll just apply to a bottom tier uni if I don't get the grades". Under the current system they have an offer and the horror of not getting that place and having to go somewhere random through clearing gets them working.

Some great points.
Predictions are so wildy at the mercy of hormones and environment too. Change those variables and the predictions are upside down. So the prediction is an 'if all other variables are aligned for a few years'one. In those cases id imagine almost every child has the same potential?

I actually find the local Zimbabwean talent (guys above 35) to be the best HR there probably is in the whole of Africa.

Not sure if that will be replicated by the younger generation as Mugabe decimated the education system.
South Africa legalised cannabis across the board. i.e you can use publically. So attracting so much existing farming talent from across the borders.
Cannabis IS the future crop there, in parts of Africa, hence a few other countries joining. Great environment, efficient.
With tobacco Zimbabwe was one of biggest globally, but they were duped. Making a penny on a tonne, then ciggarette companies adding 1000x the value. This time around it has to be wise!

South Africa legalised cannabis across the board. i.e you can use publically. So attracting so much existing farming talent from across the borders.
Cannabis IS the future crop there, in parts of Africa, hence a few other countries joining. Great environment, efficient.
With tobacco Zimbabwe was one of biggest globally, but they were duped. Making a penny on a tonne, then ciggarette companies adding 1000x the value. This time around it has to be wise!

Zambia benefited a bit when they offered free land to evicted white Zimbabwean farmers, but life in Zim is quite difficult. I even know black farmers there who are looking to leave.

Legalising the growth of cannabis for export makes a lot of sense for a lot of economic sense. Legalising it for internal use there is an argument either way but a lot of African leaders would be reluctant to do this for religious/ moral reasons, unless there is something in it for them and unfortunately for many African leaders, there is no such thing as religion or morals where money is concerned.

Zambia benefited a bit when they offered free land to evicted white Zimbabwean farmers, but life in Zim is quite difficult. I even know black farmers there who are looking to leave.

Legalising the growth of cannabis for export makes a lot of sense for a lot of economic sense. Legalising it for internal use there is an argument either way but a lot of African leaders would be reluctant to do this for religious/ moral reasons, unless there is something in it for them and unfortunately for many African leaders, there is no such thing as religion or morals where money is concerned.

Many white farmers also left for west africa for similar inducements. Mugabe has all but destroyed the bread basket of africa and the people remain in despair. As much as i like cannabis it is not a basis for economic recovery. Restarting the farms would be.

Many white farmers also left for west africa for similar inducements. Mugabe has all but destroyed the bread basket of africa and the people remain in despair. As much as i like cannabis it is not a basis for economic recovery. Restarting the farms would be.

No, cannabis has never helped me to recover anything but it would add a lot of much needed tax revenue for many of these African countries simply due to the fact that it is a low-cost, high-value crop which is a dynamic that you usually don't get in agriculture, so extremely profitable.

I do know a white Zimbabwean farmer who was MD for a large agro firm in Uganda who quit his job the day Mugabe came out of power. I couldn't help but think if he was acting too hastily.

Look at what the EU's CAP does to Africa

No, cannabis has never helped me to recover anything but it would add a lot of much needed tax revenue for many of these African countries simply due to the fact that it is a low-cost, high-value crop which is a dynamic that you usually don't get in agriculture, so extremely profitable.

I do know a white Zimbabwean farmer who was MD for a large agro firm in Uganda who quit his job the day Mugabe came out of power. I couldn't help but think if he was acting too hastily.

Assuming they could sell it, which they couldnt, zim needs a total economic overhaul. Inflation, basic commodities etc etc. They had an excellent all round economy based on farming- they need to get it back.

I know the west of uganda very well. Excellent for growing tea and coffee and just about anything else. Never seen such a fertile place.

Assuming they could sell it, which they couldnt, zim needs a total economic overhaul. Inflation, basic commodities etc etc. They had an excellent all round economy based on farming- they need to get it back.

I know the west of uganda very well. Excellent for growing tea and coffee and just about anything else. Never seen such a fertile place.

This chap was in to wheat and in the north.

Spike continues to increase in Leics. as I reported a couple of days ago R rate in EM is low but a spike is showing in Leics. oadby and Winston is showing 1.7 and LeicCity under 1 but some wards like Evington are markedly up. Nothing to get too worried about but be aware. Charnwood and closer to Notts are still in the 0.5 and below.

Difficult on the racism thing because I can't say I have seen it.

Reality is that poverty and parental culture are the biggest factors. Asian and particularly Indian parents tend to be extremely ambitious for their children, which leads to ambitious and ridiculously hard working students, even where they come from very deprived backgrounds.

This is typical sterotyping. The evidence is simply not there to back up the claim that Black parents do not push their children or ambitious.

There is evidence that is available from individual LEAs for many years that has tended to show that the relative performance of Black Caribbean pupils begins very high, top in several LEAs and starts to decline in Key Stage 2, tails off badly in Key Stage 3 and is below that of most other ethnic groups at Key Stage 4. In principle, they've going from the near top to near bottom during secondary schooling.

The question is why? Poverty and parental factors, remember these same parents whose children were top at KS2, alone is not the answer. A simialr trend is starting to appear for children of Black African heritage

The reasons for the underachievement of Black Caribbean pupils are wide‐ranging and complex. Four main schools related factors have emerged: stereotyping (a la Popes quoted post); teachers’ low expectations; exclusions and Headteachers’ poor leadership on equality issues.

This educational disadvantage has led to various other experiences of inequality. DfE data shows Black Caribbean pupils are three times more likely to be permanently excluded from school than their White peers.

Before the DfE starts another new initiative to increase the number of Black children going to university they sholud first implement the actions that were identified many years ago regarding the sharp decline during secondary schooling.

This is typical sterotyping. The evidence is simply not there to back up the claim that Black parents do not push their children or ambitious.

There is evidence that is available from individual LEAs for many years that has tended to show that the relative performance of Black Caribbean pupils begins very high, top in several LEAs and starts to decline in Key Stage 2, tails off badly in Key Stage 3 and is below that of most other ethnic groups at Key Stage 4. In principle, they've going from the near top to near bottom during secondary schooling.

The question is why? Poverty and parental factors, remember these same parents whose children were top at KS2, alone is not the answer. A simialr trend is starting to appear for children of Black African heritage

The reasons for the underachievement of Black Caribbean pupils are wide‐ranging and complex. Four main schools related factors have emerged: stereotyping (a la Popes quoted post); teachers’ low expectations; exclusions and Headteachers’ poor leadership on equality issues.

This educational disadvantage has led to various other experiences of inequality. DfE data shows Black Caribbean pupils are three times more likely to be permanently excluded from school than their White peers.

Before the DfE starts another new initiative to increase the number of Black children going to university they sholud first implement the actions that were identified many years ago regarding the sharp decline during secondary schooling.

That's all very nice, but i'm.not trying to stereotype.

It's posts like yours that make it impossible to relay any kind of personal experiences without being labeled a racist.

If you quoted my entire original post you will see that I clearly stated that poverty is the defining factor. Poverty in my experience affects black and white working class families in much the same way. In my experience it does not always affect asian families in the same way.

If you were in my office for the number of times students have quoted "Muslim parents/ Asian parents" (their words to me) as their motivation for certain actions, maybe you wouldn't just quote statistics at me in a thinly veiled accusation of racism.

The reasons for the underachievement of Black Caribbean pupils are wide‐ranging and complex. Four main schools related factors have emerged: stereotyping (a la Popes quoted post); teachers’ low expectations; exclusions and Headteachers’ poor leadership on equality

This again really annoys me, as it is someone simply quoting DFE stats to imply institutional racism within schools. And as is the problem with this discourse at the moment, there is absolutely no rebuttal to this I can give that would not result in you accusing me of racism in one way or another.

Let's put it this way, I have a fair bit of experience and have my own views on at least three of these. But what is the point? People such as yourself have decided a politically correct account of what is happening. Any divergence from this is racism.

It's not the government's fault, it's not the parents fault, its the teachers fault. Got it. Cheers.

That's all very nice, but i'm.not trying to stereotype.

It's posts like yours that make it impossible to relay any kind of personal experiences without being labeled a racist.

If you quoted my entire original post you will see that I clearly stated that poverty is the defining factor. Poverty in my experience affects black and white working class families in much the same way. In my experience it does not always affect asian families in the same way.

If you were in my office for the number of times students have quoted "Muslim parents/ Asian parents" (their words to me) as their motivation for certain actions, maybe you wouldn't just quote statistics at me in a thinly veiled accusation of racism.

This again really annoys me, as it is someone simply quoting DFE stats to imply institutional racism within schools. And as is the problem with this discourse at the moment, there is absolutely no rebuttal to this I can give that would not result in you accusing me of racism in one way or another.

Let's put it this way, I have a fair bit of experience and have my own views on at least three of these. But what is the point? People such as yourself have decided a politically correct account of what is happening. Any divergence from this is racism.

It's not the government's fault, it's not the parents fault, its the teachers fault. Got it. Cheers.

Wow. Getting a bit defensive are we not? Huddersfield could have used your skills yesterday.

Who called you a racist? And you are a bit liberal with throwing old race card about.

Where did my post mention institutional racism? Instituational racism is in the same report that I have referenced. If you have a problem with this then take it up with your employer.

Wow. Getting a bit defensive are we not? Huddersfield could have used your skills yesterday.

Who called you a racist? And you are a bit liberal with throwing old race card about.

Where did my post mention institutional racism? Instituational racism is in the same report that I have referenced. If you have a problem with this then take it up with your employer.
Of course I'm getting defensive.

Someone from outside of my profession is using a report, drawn up at least in part from people also outside of the profession, to insinuate that my personal reflections are incorrect and that, in fact, schools (and by extension myself) are institutionally racist.

Given that I neither want to be racist, nor be considered racist then it's no surprise to see me getting defensive. By all means explain how I am liberal in throwing around the race card. Calling out one pretty unwise post by DF and advising him to delete it is hardly throwing the race card about.

Of course I'm getting defensive.

Someone from outside of my profession is using a report, drawn up at least in part from people also outside of the profession, to insinuate that my personal reflections are incorrect and that, in fact, schools (and by extension myself) are institutionally racist.

Given that I neither want to be racist, nor be considered racist then it's no surprise to see me getting defensive. By all means explain how I am liberal in throwing around the race card. Calling out one pretty unwise post by DF and advising him to delete it is hardly throwing the race card about.

I have not got a clue what you're talking about wrt to DF but at no point in my post did I allude to you being a racist but your response was laden with such accusations.

By default you appear not to be good at taking any form of opinion from the outside your opinion, even if it improves your abilities in your chosen profession. In my field such insular thinking cost 350 lives last year when two planes crashed within months. Lessons from outside my profession help keep planes in the sky. You better hope there are more who think like me than you.

Just because you do not agree, doesn't mean it is wrong.

I may well be from outside your profession but I've witnessed you profession first hand and have relatives going through the system at all levels and when we talk there's seems to be little change.

I also have relatives who are teachers, black and white, and they tend to avoid the staffroom like the plague. I can see why.

We're done.

I have not got a clue what you're talking about wrt to DF but at no point in my post did I allude to you being a racist but your response was laden with such accusations.

By default you appear not to be good at taking any form of opinion from the outside your opinion, even if it improves your abilities in your chosen profession. In my field such insular thinking cost 350 lives last year when two planes crashed within months. Lessons from outside my profession help keep planes in the sky. You better hope there are more who think like me than you.

Just because you do not agree, doesn't mean it is wrong.

I may well be from outside your profession but I've witnessed you profession first hand and have relatives going through the system at all levels and when we talk there's seems to be little change.

I also have relatives who are teachers, black and white, and they tend to avoid the staffroom like the plague. I can see why.

We're done.
Oh I see. Now who is defensive?

You have been through the system, you know a teacher, you have googled a report and so you are entitled to an equal weight of opinion. And now you are picking up your ball and going home.

I don't actually have any problem with you holding an alternative opinion at all. This could have been an interesting debate

The problem comes for two reasons. Firstly, you make it clear that you have absolutely zero interest in anything I might have to say on the subject. You drop a post based on a report, summarise it in a way laden with implied allegations, then walk away..

The second problem is the way you have put it. I'm sure you think you are entitled to say whatever the fuck you like how you like, others be damned; but you could have phrased your entire post in a much more constructive way, not selectively quoting and in such a way as to allow some discussion. But you weren't interested in that.

You wanted to put me and other teachers in our place and that was it

I spend a hell of a lot of time when i'm not at work reflecting on what I have done, how I could have done it better, etc. I reflect a lot on whether I have been biased, racist, dismissive, or prejudicial. Goodness knows how many decisions I have to make each day. I do my best to get as many of them right as I can, but I can't nail them all.

What bothers me most is that people don't actually want to ask us for what we think is happening or what things are like on the ground.