#COVID19 | Page 688 | Vital Football

#COVID19

The percentage of ICU beds occupied in England on December 20th was lower than this time last year in every region of NHS England.

Nightingale Hospitals are still empty.

This may change with the new strain, hopefully not and these measures look like a logical contingency if this happens, but looking at the raw data it's no worse than normal 'winter pessures'

This is a fact, how these are interpreted is crucial; BTW I am not advocating a different course of action (yet)

View attachment 44638
Firstly, Nightingales are a shocking waste of £220m of taxpayers money; they were there for propaganda only because, after a decade of the Tories running down the NHS, there was never the staff available to run them. That is why they are unoccupied, not because of lack of need.

You also need to remember that the entire country is under some form of lockdown and has been since November, with around 20m living under stay at home rules.

People aren't getting pissed at the weekend anywhere. They aren't getting paralytic and getting into fights. The number of people out is less, so the number getting hit by cars is going to be significantly less. In fact, there are all sorts of everyday accidents/incidents that might see people in an ICU that are not going to be happening with the same frequency under lockdown.

And yet, ICUs are very close to capacity because of COVID.

If you ease lockdown, not only will you get increased transmission of COVID and even more patients (hardly matters what age) but you will also see your normal, accident/incident related ICU patients on top of that

Firstly, Nightingales are a shocking waste of £220m of taxpayers money; they were there for propaganda only because, after a decade of the Tories running down the NHS, there was never the staff available to run them. That is why they are unoccupied, not because of lack of need.

You also need to remember that the entire country is under some form of lockdown and has been since November, with around 20m living under stay at home rules.

People aren't getting pissed at the weekend anywhere. They aren't getting paralytic and getting into fights. The number of people out is less, so the number getting hit by cars is going to be significantly less. In fact, there are all sorts of everyday accidents/incidents that might see people in an ICU that are not going to be happening with the same frequency under lockdown.

And yet, ICUs are very close to capacity because of COVID.

If you ease lockdown, not only will you get increased transmission of COVID and even more patients (hardly matters what age) but you will also see your normal, accident/incident related ICU patients on top of that

Your ICU 'close to capacity because of COVID' is incorrect.

From weekly latest NHS data as of 22nd Dec.

Total Mechanical Ventilation beds occupied in England is 3,693 of which 1,339 are by confirmed COVID-19 patients.

Total beds in England is 113,058 of which 18,063 are confirmed COVID-19 patients.

Total Mechanical Ventilation beds occupied in England is 3,693 of which 1,339 are by confirmed COVID-19 patients.

Total beds in England is 113,058 of which 18,063 are confirmed COVID-19 patients.
It's irrelevant whether they are all COVID patients. If they are being used they are being used.

Look at this; too full for comfort, especially given there will be yet another surge over the next fortnight

https://data.spectator.co.uk/city/nhs

Just been given the figures for up to the 28th December and these have risen from 18,063 to 20,426 total beds and from 1339 to 1,641 total Mechanical Ventilation beds.

I've shown you that they are no nearer capacity than any other year.
And this shows you that that is only because capacity has been increased because of COVID.

I've also pointed out that we are closer than is comfortable to capacity even in the midst of lockdown measures. What do you imagine will happen if lockdowns were eased significantly, on top of the Christmas transmission and with the consequential return to a normal accident/incident rate?

And this shows you that that is only because capacity has been increased because of COVID.

I've also pointed out that we are closer than is comfortable to capacity even in the midst of lockdown measures. What do you imagine will happen if lockdowns were eased significantly, on top of the Christmas transmission and with the consequential return to a normal accident/incident rate?

As I stated in the first comment this morning, I am not calling for easing of restrictions (yet) and they are climbing.

There is no agenda from me with the facts I have posted, if you have read into it that there is, then it has been done accidently.

There is a narrative by some in the media that suggests breaking point, but if you remember the 2017/18 flu pandemic with patients being treated in ambulances and corridors because of too few beds, then we are not close to that yet.
Mrs. Strett was on the front line then and we are definitely not close.

You do realise how hard hospitals, councils, care providers, nursing & residential homes plus the families & charities are working to get people out of hospital beds as well don’t you?

You do realise how hard hospitals, councils, care providers, nursing & residential homes plus the families & charities are working to get people out of hospital beds as well don’t you?

Yes. Being at home is conducive to quicker recovery.
Hospitals are places the vulnerable don't want to be as they are riddled with infections.

As I stated in the first comment this morning, I am not calling for easing of restrictions (yet) and they are climbing.

There is no agenda from me with the facts I have posted, if you have read into it that there is, then it has been done accidently.

There is a narrative by some in the media that suggests breaking point, but if you remember the 2017/18 flu pandemic with patients being treated in ambulances and corridors because of too few beds, then we are not close to that yet.
Mrs. Strett was on the front line then and we are definitely not close.
And what is this doctor's media agenda?

It is simply wishful thinking to talk this down. I know you have already done your dance with COVID and come out ok. So I can appreciate that for people in that position (not talking about you specifically) there might be an element of "what's the big deal".

But there is a big deal

And what is this doctor's media agenda?

It is simply wishful thinking to talk this down. I know you have already done your dance with COVID and come out ok. So I can appreciate that for people in that position (not talking about you specifically) there might be an element of "what's the big deal".

But there is a big deal

I agree, they are bad, as all winters are.
If the infections carry on rising at a similar rate we will be in trouble.
But as you say other requirements are down because of lockdown so will hopefully keep a lid on this.

But this isn't bad "as all winters are", this is a new kind of bad.

At least you have started to acknowledge the rate of change. The car crash is on its way, sadly.

Also, I am glad to see you are not (yet) advocating a change of plan but there will have to be one, and not in the direction you want to see. You have been consistent in your arguments against restrictions. Barrington, etc.
Seems you're going along with what we have, for now?

But this isn't bad "as all winters are", this is a new kind of bad.

At least you have started to acknowledge the rate of change. The car crash is on its way, sadly.

Also, I am glad to see you are not (yet) advocating a change of plan but there will have to be one, and not in the direction you want to see. You have been consistent in your arguments against restrictions. Barrington, etc.
Seems you're going along with what we have, for now?

I have, as I still in the grand scheme of things think collateral damage from lockdowns will be huge.
We have gone down this path, as many other governments have, so we must continue; I will argue for a different path when, as Van Tam stated, the vulnerable have been vaccinated thus cutting deaths by 99%.

I have, as I still in the grand scheme of things think collateral damage from lockdowns will be huge.
We have gone down this path, as many other governments have, so we must continue; I will argue for a different path when, as Van Tam stated, the vulnerable have been vaccinated thus cutting deaths by 99%.
Err... ok! Not sure you will be alone in that.

Who will be arguing for lockdown when no one is any longer at risk of serious illness?

Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine approved by medicines regulator. The UK has ordered 100 million doses from the manufacturer AstraZeneca, enough to vaccinate 50 million people.

Come on Mrs Strett, what you waiting for? I'll want updates later.

Looking like the science and administration systems based in this little shit hole of a country may very well have saved the world.