#COVID19 | Page 687 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Sage saying to close schools!
Yes, and we all know how it will go from now on.

SAGE says to close schools

Government plays the bagpipes about life chances (as if they give a shit) and schools needing to stay open.

Government ignores SAGE, keeps schools open for a few days

Numbers start looking scary (regardless of whether schools are contributing to that)

Government U-Turns and closes secondaries, with extremely little notice, but with some sort of awful sting in the tail for teachers that will have us scrabbling to jump through hoops at short notice, and the government can't even provide the hoops to jump through.

Media starts talking about exams needing to be cancelled/ changed.

Government says exams absolutely will not be cancelled/changed

Daily Telegraph, worried about its middle class parent readers, calls for exams to be cancelled/changed

Exams are cancelled/changed, but with some sort of awful sting in the tail for teachers that will have us scrabbling to jump through hoops at short notice, and the government can't even provide the hoops to jump through.

What worries me the most is how little discussion there has been of universities going back amidst all of this. In the middle of a wave as bad as the first one, 2 million university students migrating around the country again is like a small nuclear device going off.

I can't believe how little has been discussed around this; forget the secondary schools, we absolutely have to stop the uni students going back IMO

Yes, and we all know how it will go from now on.

SAGE says to close schools

Government plays the bagpipes about life chances (as if they give a shit) and schools needing to stay open.

Government ignores SAGE, keeps schools open for a few days

Numbers start looking scary (regardless of whether schools are contributing to that)

Government U-Turns and closes secondaries, with extremely little notice, but with some sort of awful sting in the tail for teachers that will have us scrabbling to jump through hoops at short notice, and the government can't even provide the hoops to jump through.

Media starts talking about exams needing to be cancelled/ changed.

Government says exams absolutely will not be cancelled/changed

Daily Telegraph, worried about its middle class parent readers, calls for exams to be cancelled/changed

Exams are cancelled/changed, but with some sort of awful sting in the tail for teachers that will have us scrabbling to jump through hoops at short notice, and the government can't even provide the hoops to jump through.

What worries me the most is how little discussion there has been of universities going back amidst all of this. In the middle of a wave as bad as the first one, 2 million university students migrating around the country again is like a small nuclear device going off.

I can't believe how little has been discussed around this; forget the secondary schools, we absolutely have to stop the uni students going back IMO

Its not as glamerous as education or health but there are also gonna be monumental issues with hmrc. Poor old accountants have had a different system every month, ltd companies have been given an extension to file accounts (which we largely dont need) but your average joe who has earned fuck all has to file their accounts in January. Estimates are put at 3-4m late repoters. That will cause one heck of a mess.

Its not flashy but these details really matter since without accountants and the paye system millions of people would be redundant. Problem is this govt doesnt exactly have a head for details. Time to see what sunak is actually made of now he isnt handing out billions to his mates from the uk magic money tree. Tax receipts will be way way down on forecasts now everyone is carrying debts. A massive new set of non tariff obstacles to trade because of brexit is just what we need.

I'm in tier 2 and our hospitals are near capacity, we have a huge percentage of people over 70 things could about to get really ugly because we are in a lower tier a lot just don't seem to think we have a problem. Everyone will be tier 4 soon but is that having any real effect, people still leaving tier4 to get to a lower one to do what they can't where they are.

Its not as glamerous as education or health but there are also gonna be monumental issues with hmrc. Poor old accountants have had a different system every month, ltd companies have been given an extension to file accounts (which we largely dont need) but your average joe who has earned fuck all has to file their accounts in January. Estimates are put at 3-4m late repoters. That will cause one heck of a mess.

Its not flashy but these details really matter since without accountants and the paye system millions of people would be redundant. Problem is this govt doesnt exactly have a head for details. Time to see what sunak is actually made of now he isnt handing out billions to his mates from the uk magic money tree. Tax receipts will be way way down on forecasts now everyone is carrying debts. A massive new set of non tariff obstacles to trade because of brexit is just what we need.
I used to work for HMRC and I remember the late January and early February chaos.

I got mine in!

I'm in tier 2 and our hospitals are near capacity, we have a huge percentage of people over 70 things could about to get really ugly because we are in a lower tier a lot just don't seem to think we have a problem. Everyone will be tier 4 soon but is that having any real effect, people still leaving tier4 to get to a lower one to do what they can't where they are.
The frightening thing is that the price we have to pay for the Christmas easing of restrictions is still a fortnight away

This is peak daily mail.

On the one hand, accuse teaching unions (and effectively teachers) of wanting schools to shut and claiming they give a shit about children.

On the other hand, the referring to "jail hell" and showing incredulity that bail is refused for a woman accused of grooming underage girls for a paedophile.

View attachment 44586

You've scarred me for life!

I'll never be able to unsee that front page.

I did once see a classic back in the 1970s, after the BBC (Panorama?) aired a programme suggesting maybe cannabis wasn't so bad. The Home Secretary, Robert Carr, felt the need to make a statement condemning such talk, and the Mail headline was

CARR WARNS JUNKIES

I kid you not.

You've scarred me for life!

I'll never be able to unsee that front page.

I did once see a classic back in the 1970s, after the BBC (Panorama?) aired a programme suggesting maybe cannabis wasn't so bad. The Home Secretary, Robert Carr, felt the need to make a statement condemning such talk, and the Mail headline was

CARR WARNS JUNKIES

I kid you not.

Is Carr in this forum under a pseudonym?

Just 388 people under the age of 60 with no underlying health conditions have died of coronavirus in England, NHS data has revealed.
For comparison, during the whole of 2019, 955 under-60s died on England’s roads

Yet the Governments are trashing the economy for their futures.

I think this period will not be looked back upon favourably.

Just 388 people under the age of 60 with no underlying health conditions have died of coronavirus in England, NHS data has revealed.
For comparison, during the whole of 2019, 955 under-60s died on England’s roads

Yet the Governments are trashing the economy for their futures.

I think this period will not be looked back upon favourably.
That had been comprehensively debunked.

"Underlying health conditions" on those stats included a huge variety of things that have no bearing on vulnerability to COVID, including almost any diagnosed mental health issue or disorder. Autism for instance.

Just over 7000 working age people have apparently died. I don't know what proportion had underlying conditions; it is likely to be a lot of them. And the bulk of those will be in the 45-64 bracket.

"Underlying health conditions" on those stats included a huge variety of things that have no bearing on vulnerability to COVID, including almost any diagnosed mental health issue or disorder. Autism for instance.

Just over 7000 working age people have apparently died. I don't know what proportion had underlying conditions; it is likely to be a lot of them. And the bulk of those will be in the 45-64 bracket.

This was reported last night.

Of these, only 388 were between 40 and 59, 44 were between the ages of 20 and 39, and only six were younger than 19.

These are NHS figures, who is debunking the official data?

Of these, only 388 were between 40 and 59, 44 were between the ages of 20 and 39, and only six were younger than 19.

These are NHS figures, who is debunking the official data?
Not the data, the interpretation of it.

Download the spreadsheet and then look at tab 4, which describes what they are considering as underlying conditions. Then you'll smell the rat.

A lot of those underlying conditions are no such thing.

This has been going round Twitter for a few days now.

Besides, if the hospitals are full and they are running out of oxygen (as one trust is) then that is the situation, and that is already in lockdown. We can't possibly take courses of action that are going to make that worse on the basis that it "only" affects older people. The medical system can't cope now, not after 10 years of Tory mismanagement

Not the data, the interpretation of it.

Download the spreadsheet and then look at tab 4, which describes what they are considering as underlying conditions. Then you'll smell the rat.

A lot of those underlying conditions are no such thing.

This has been going round Twitter for a few days now.

Besides, if the hospitals are full and they are running out of oxygen (as one trust is) then that is the situation, and that is already in lockdown. We can't possibly take courses of action that are going to make that worse on the basis that it "only" affects older people. The medical system can't cope now, not after 10 years of Tory mismanagement

The percentage of ICU beds occupied in England on December 20th was lower than this time last year in every region of NHS England.

Nightingale Hospitals are still empty.

This may change with the new strain, hopefully not and these measures look like a logical contingency if this happens, but looking at the raw data it's no worse than normal 'winter pessures'

This is a fact, how these are interpreted is crucial; BTW I am not advocating a different course of action (yet)

1609235069510.png