#COVID19 | Page 689 | Vital Football

#COVID19

The news of this vaccine is just fantastic. But along with the primary cohorts receiving it I believe that teachers should also now be vaccinated to ensure we keep schools open; so protecting our children who have suffered enough already.

The news of this vaccine is just fantastic. But along with the primary cohorts receiving it I believe that teachers should also now be vaccinated to ensure we keep schools open; so protecting our children who have suffered enough already.
NHS workers must be given it NOW.

Sorry, forget the over 80s at the moment. NHS are on their knees, staff absence is having a huge effect and we need to protect the people we need to protect everyone else.

No one should be asked to vaccinate the vulnerable who has not been vaccinated themselves.

God knows what he is going to say about schools today. Some form of muddled closure. Guardian reporting that many year groups will just be given next week off with remote learning of only Y11 and 13.

I don't understand that. We could do remote learning of all year groups from Monday. Around 20-30% of our students have no access to computers at home so would miss out until we can get work packs to them- which with the post as it is will probably be the week after. That's the trade off.

But unless they are asking something bizarre of us next week I don't see the need to call another week of holiday for any students.

Personally I'd prefer to stick to just coming back for everyone but i'm not there with the science.

Vaccinating people only protects the person vaccinated from being seriously ill. My daughter works for test and trace, and they have been told that anyone who has been vaccinated who comes into contact with Covid still has to isolate. No proof as yet that it stops people spreading it either.

Need to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable first, as the government plan.

Last edited:

Sorry, forget the over 80s at the moment. NHS are on their knees, staff absence is having a huge effect and we need to protect the people we need to protect everyone else.

No one should be asked to vaccinate the vulnerable who has not been vaccinated themselves.

God knows what he is going to say about schools today. Some form of muddled closure. Guardian reporting that many year groups will just be given next week off with remote learning of only Y11 and 13.

I don't understand that. We could do remote learning of all year groups from Monday. Around 20-30% of our students have no access to computers at home so would miss out until we can get work packs to them- which with the post as it is will probably be the week after. That's the trade off.

But unless they are asking something bizarre of us next week I don't see the need to call another week of holiday for any students.

Personally I'd prefer to stick to just coming back for everyone but i'm not there with the science.

Pretty sure Stret says they have been, and if he says so...

Working age 1st in my opinion. Retired should be taking their chance. Anyone worried should have the common sense to self isolate.

The elderly can't just cut themselves off from the World though. Sounds great in theory, but what if you're in a care home, hospital, or live in a family with workers ? Even if you don't shop, you have to go and collect food, as it was almost impossible to get deliveries, and many elderly don't even use the internet. That's before counting the effects on mental health from being locked up for nearly a year.

The elderly can't just cut themselves off from the World though. Sounds great in theory, but what if you're in a care home, hospital, or live in a family with workers ? Even if you don't shop, you have to go and collect food, as it was almost impossible to get deliveries, and many elderly don't even use the internet. That's before counting the effects on mental health from being locked up for nearly a year.
I said in a previous post that my thoughts on the subject were absolutely a selfish opinion based on the experience of me and the wife coming through it ok. The government is taking the only course of action that is moraly acceptable. You are quite right.

Most front line NHS workers have had their first dose, but this is where it now becomes a bit messy.
The Pfizer one is on order so these need using (phase 6 in this area) and these will be used in preference to the Oxford one.
The Oxford one will be sent to practices first in preference to the pop up centres and Hospitals due to ease of storage.

Vaccinating people only protects the person vaccinated from being seriously ill. My daughter works for test and trace, and they have been told that anyone who has been vaccinated who comes into contact with Covid still has to isolate. No proof as yet that it stops people spreading it either.

Need to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable first, as the government plan.

That’s because generally only the first dose has been administered and also herd immunity needs to be reached for the vaccine to be fully population effective; this is why it’s important to have the vaccine when offered.

I said in a previous post that my thoughts on the subject were absolutely a selfish opinion based on the experience of me and the wife coming through it ok. The government is taking the only course of action that is moraly acceptable. You are quite right.

Also natural immunity will play a role along with immunity derived from these vaccines. We are seeing large numbers of positive cases ATM which, counterintuitively, may be beneficial along with the vaccine to get towards herd immunity.

That’s because generally only the first dose has been administered and also herd immunity needs to be reached for the vaccine to be fully population effective; this is why it’s important to have the vaccine when offered.
People on here who think i am a bit right wing would be very interested in my thoughts on what the course of action should be with those who refuse the vacination.

Not disagreeing with that, but even after a second jab (and I believe the oxford vaccine is the same) the INDIVIDUAL is protected from serious illness (I believe no one on the Oxford one has been admitted to hospital). As yet there is no proof that it stops you carrying the illness. Wouldn't really reduce teacher/NHS absence for staff, as they still have to isolate. Obviously any vulnerable staff should be vaccinated in the top priority groups, as they should be in other face to face jobs.

Most front line NHS workers have had their first dose, but this is where it now becomes a bit messy.
The Pfizer one is on order so these need using (phase 6 in this area) and these will be used in preference to the Oxford one.
The Oxford one will be sent to practices first in preference to the pop up centres and Hospitals due to ease of storage.

Update, lol. Listening to the Mrs this has now been revised, the Oxford one will go to hospitals first as they can vaccinate patients and staff quickly as they are already there, practices have to get people in to vaccinate them.
Also only this morning a team of folks were awaiting a delivery of the full batch of Pfizer ones to take to care homes, but it never arrived!! Piss up/ brewery springs to mind sometimes.

Update, lol. Listening to the Mrs this has now been revised, the Oxford one will go to hospitals first as they can vaccinate patients and staff quickly as they are already there, practices have to get people in to vaccinate them.
Also only this morning a team of folks were awaiting a delivery of the full batch of Pfizer ones to take to care homes, but it never arrived!! Piss up/ brewery springs to mind sometimes.

Not easy to get things right. Even the German rollout came to a bit of a halt when temperature failures were detected in some of the Pfizer vaccinations.

Not disagreeing with that, but even after a second jab (and I believe the oxford vaccine is the same) the INDIVIDUAL is protected from serious illness (I believe no one on the Oxford one has been admitted to hospital). As yet there is no proof that it stops you carrying the illness. Wouldn't really reduce teacher/NHS absence for staff, as they still have to isolate. Obviously any vulnerable staff should be vaccinated in the top priority groups, as they should be in other face to face jobs.

This is the same for all viruses. The individual is immune and can still test positive but will not be ill/as ill as un-vaccinated individuals.
We’ve seen an increase in measles after that twonk incorrectly suggested a link between MMR/autism so the vaccination uptake was reduced and herd immunity was compromised.
If only 1 in 1000 people had the measles jab, we’d see an epidemic.