#COVID19 | Page 686 | Vital Football

#COVID19

“ Our generation trying to wriggle out of”

give me a break, I have paid tens of thousands in taxes and never claimed benefits. My children were privately educated I had private healthcare so what were my taxes used for? The magic money tree?

Where did those private medical people train? Or the teachers in your private school? Did you have your own well and make your own electricity as well. So many people who the state never did anything for...

Its a bit like insurance, you/we take out insurance against future mishaps. If the unthinkable happens then you are covered by your policy in this case your taxes which has been paid in full to the government.

I still stand by my post that states as I am a pensioner I am entitled to enjoy the benefits of my retirement.

60 years of working hard= 60 years of paying taxes which have gone up over the years by my rough calculations result in me paying taxes of100k over 60 years of work. Think about that, so for all you young 'uns who are winging about us pensioners you haven't lived yet so get off your high pedestal and try to put your views over us pensioners in more constructive manner.
We have done our bit now do yours. Thanks.

Problem is your bit has fooked everyone else, the environment being the obvious. Yes old people do need to pay, we wont retire untill we are 68.

I think Corbyn's greatest downfall was being in a bubble that agreed with him too much. He simultaneously lost the working man and the moderates in his own party.

Starmer needs to reconnect with both, and somehow not alienate the left even further.

Good luck with that lol
Starmer can keep the vote of most left people (probably not including those who do nothing but hate on him constantly). He will have my vote unless he does something really daft, but i'll probably criticise him alot because I'd prefer a leftie Labour.
Doesn't mean i want him to fail or that i hate him.
At the moment he's quite visibly trying to appeal to as many people as possible except for the left, but i hope that changes when it comes to making policy. Maybe it will.

Starmer can keep the vote of most left people (probably not including those who do nothing but hate on him constantly). He will have my vote unless he does something really daft, but i'll probably criticise him alot because I'd prefer a leftie Labour.
Doesn't mean i want him to fail or that i hate him.
At the moment he's quite visibly trying to appeal to as many people as possible except for the left, but i hope that changes when it comes to making policy. Maybe it will.

I've no issue with constructive criticism and debate, it's incredibly healthy. The other stuff coming from sections of the left (just as it did from parts of the centre under JC) is incredibly destructive and does the work for the Tories.

This is also disturbing:

"I'm not into raiding their wealth (although, by God, is a lot of it hoarded with your generation) either."

Well, I'm glad to hear you wouldn't go as far as stealing people's life savings. But what is it with this anti-boomer shit?

I don't know what age range you're accusing, but I doubt whether we're the worst hoarders of wealth in recent times.

If younger people are hard done to over the past ten years, it's because voters have elected rubbish governments. It's not because scheming 60-somethings have hoarded wealth. Nor have we cynically paid into the NHS in order to have it there for us in later life, in some kind of unfair way. That was the point of the NHS, for everyone.

I agree that post-pandemic we need to make radical changes to ensure that the young don't spend decades paying for the crisis. Writing off debts and moving to a universal wage would be a start. This isn't something that requires older people to parade through the streets whipping themselves - it requires governments and the super-rich to accept that their game won't survive without some rule changes.

Agree with that but it would take older people to make it happen.

In truth not sure what legacy the boomer generation has right now. If the implemented half of that last paragraph the could claim something.

Maybe you're scared of a gerontocracy (?!) - as medical advances prolong life, governments might pander to the old in order to win enough votes to stay in power, while increasing numbers of elderly place an intolerable care burden on the young.

But older people don't all vote conservative. There's no reason someone can't organise a proper rainbow party which seeks change for the whole world and draws in older members along the way. I'd expect younger people to maybe start the ball rolling, with all their drive and youthful idealism.

And lack of experience and resources...

Sick of all this disappointment chap. Know what you mean, though. I was born in the second generation of boomers (the dissapointed generation according to some chroniclers who dress up ideology as historical commentary), just in time to see the death of hippie ideals and the counterculture go tits-up with its revolutionary aspirations.

Three-day week nonsense, then coming of age in winter of discontent, just in time for the right-wing jackbootery to kick-in and start redefining itself and its pernicious undermining of the human soul right up until today.

Gotta wait till I'm 66 till state pension kicks in, and because I'm self-employed, never had personal pension topped up by an employer. Bah, fiery humbugs. Still, I live in hope that upcoming generations will get it right. And that Forest will get a decent owner, philsophy and all that good stuff.

Next vaccine to be approved soon & volunteers to administer it in village halls the gammons will be wanking themselves into a coma as all their dads army fantasies come true.

Sick of all this disappointment chap. Know what you mean, though. I was born in the second generation of boomers (the dissapointed generation according to some chroniclers who dress up ideology as historical commentary), just in time to see the death of hippie ideals and the counterculture go tits-up with its revolutionary aspirations.

Three-day week nonsense, then coming of age in winter of discontent, just in time for the right-wing jackbootery to kick-in and start redefining itself and its pernicious undermining of the human soul right up until today.

Gotta wait till I'm 66 till state pension kicks in, and because I'm self-employed, never had personal pension topped up by an employer. Bah, fiery humbugs. Still, I live in hope that upcoming generations will get it right. And that Forest will get a decent owner, philsophy and all that good stuff.

There we go, thats the Will cornflake loves.

Good to have you back.