#COVID19 | Page 4 | Vital Football

#COVID19

Premier league considering banning all 70+ year olds from football for the rest of the season. Can they do that? They sold them a ticket. Is that ageist? Are they going to ban people with asthma, heart condition or respiratory condition?

Premier league considering banning all 70+ year olds from football for the rest of the season. Can they do that? They sold them a ticket. Is that ageist? Are they going to ban people with asthma, heart condition or respiratory condition?
Does that mean as an older person I can't go to a PL game but can still go to EFL game.

This is starting to get scary.

A quarter of the Italian population now in quarantine.

According to the times, exam boards are drawing up plans to delay GCSEs and A levels. Apparently exam boards will offer special consideration to students who miss exams/revision time due to Corona Virus or their school being shut. "Special consideration" by exam boards tends to be no more than 1%-2% though.

The Times is also claiming that schools are preparing online classes for students if they are closed. That isn't true of any school I am aware of. I have absolutely no idea how that would be done. You couldn't ensure everyone turned up, and what would it be? Me talking for an hour by Skype? No school has a textbook per student and if they aren't there they can't get photocopies. I suppose you could email some stuff, but it does smack of a government trying to sound more "on it" than they are.

Last edited:

According to the times, exam boards are drawing up plans to delay GCSEs and A levels. Apparently exam boards will offer special consideration to students who miss exams/revision time due to Corona Virus or their school being shut. "Special consideration" by exam boards tends to be no more than 1%-2% though.

The Times is also claiming that schools are preparing online classes for students if they are closed. That isn't true of any school I am aware of. I have absolutely no idea how that would be done. You couldn't ensure everyone turned up, and what would it be? Me talking for an hour by Skype? No school has a textbook per student and if they aren't there they can't get photocopies. I suppose you could email some stuff, but it does smack of a government trying to sound more "on it" than they are.
It's probably just the wording Pope.My 15 year old daughter has been informed to be prepared to set up a password in order to receive online work at home if schools are closed.So it does just sound like sending some homework as you implied.

Unless a vaccine is found asap, we r in deep shit.
The civilised world is making public all figures, within reason, the third world isn't equipped to deal with something like this. Do anyone believe the figures given by the Chinese? What about Africa and South America...? ... the global economy is going to get a hit worst then any recession, comparable to a World War.
People will be afraid to mix up with others, but at the end if the day , no matter how much supplies you stock, these will finish nd you need to go out to buy more.
Worst thing is that we cannot afford to have an above average of absenteeism in , police, doctors, military etc ... if not it will be mayhem...

The US is going to be horribly under reported.

No sick pay for a few days. No free healthcare. Lots of elderly. Not enough testing kits. People will carry on as normal and it will spread like wildfire.

Over here, major firms are modeling projected absenteeism but also that, say, 2 in 5 of your team might be dealing with a bereavement in the family. Serious consequences.

Last edited:

Most of my teaching is recorded anyway. Every year. Often makes me wonder why I turn up each time when they could just watch /listen online!

A fair bit of sense there Malta, the vaccine is reputed to be a good many months away, figures for Africa, S. America, and most other third world countries are not available and those that are are suspect. And some of those countries are not taking proper precautions either, I've just been listening to our news and there's an item regarding Bali and the fact that they're still letting cruise ships dock and passengers to mix with the locals regardless. What a mess, this is one way how the virus gets spread. And Australia is already in a mess with its economy following on with drought and bush fires, Mr Trump is also busy miss leading his nation again. World leaders, I've shit 'em.
This is a long way from over and one way or another it's all got to be paid for.

The US is going to be horribly under reported.

No sick pay for a few days. No free healthcare. Lots of elderly. Not enough testing kits. People will carry on as normal and it will spread like wildfire.

Over here, major firms are modeling projected absenteeism but also that, say, 2 in 5 of your team might be dealing with a bereavement in the family. Serious consequences.
I keep thinking that this could be the thing that topples Trump in the next election.

He must be shitting himself.

He has already lied and pretended it's not a big deal. Fine, his supporters will doublethink that away like they always do.

But when Americans start getting sick but can't afford to see a doctor; when Americans die because they don't dare get in the debt an ICU stay will incur... That is when the democrat message of Medicare for all (Trump currently plans to cut Medicare) will resonate and for once, the buck will have to stop with Trump himself.

Trump's entire presidency has been based on fantasy; his appeal to conservative America that 2+2= whatever Trump wants it to be. That is what he has sold them.

No matter what Trump says, with Corona Virus 2+2=4 and the fantasy world of fabrication he builds will not survive the real world of infection.

As for the last paragraph... Wow. Just... Wow

I keep thinking that this could be the thing that topples Trump in the next election.

He must be shitting himself.

He has already lied and pretended it's not a big deal. Fine, his supporters will doublethink that away like they always do.

But when Americans start getting sick but can't afford to see a doctor; when Americans die because they don't dare get in the debt an ICU stay will incur... That is when the democrat message of Medicare for all (Trump currently plans to cut Medicare) will resonate and for once, the buck will have to stop with Trump himself.

Trump's entire presidency has been based on fantasy; his appeal to conservative America that 2+2= whatever Trump wants it to be. That is what he has sold them.

No matter what Trump says, with Corona Virus 2+2=4 and the fantasy world of fabrication he builds will not survive the real world of infection.

As for the last paragraph... Wow. Just... Wow
Yes, while it is super useful for Brexiters (all economic downturn is a result of covid19 and not the worst policy in living memory), it really couldn't have come at a worse time for Trump.

Re last paragraph, don't take the specific numbers I quoted to heart but that is certainly the type of planning that is taking place. Understandably, people tend to take a little time off when a parent dies and the elderly are at serious enhanced risk this winter /spring. A guy responsible for these things on his organisation told me similar numbers last night, but only for illustrative purposes. And they are dividing their entire workforce into two teams that won't see each other for a month. (Not quite sure how they expect that to work when exposure is probably more likely to come from outside the company.)

I also hear that the NHS are currently planning for the peak to be in 7 weeks. Everyone getting fit tested for masks and if they can't be made to fit properly then the full hazard suit will be used. Many staff redeployed from less essential, or critically urgent, services.
Timings are all quite fluid, of course.

All though serious, the problem is we don’t know too much about convid 19 ( to be sung to dexy’s midnight runners, Come on Eileen). It is quite a fragile virus and could die out or diminish with in weeks. Everyone is taking worse case scenario’s, like the fore-mentioned millennium bug. Before panicking and going for extreme measures remember that common flu kills 17,000 in U.K. every year, some years more. Also 27,000 are killed/SI in Rita’s, on our roads in U.K. each year. No one is suggesting we never cross roads. Death is the only thing certain in life and it gets all of us. Precautions yes but if it as virulent as worse case scenario suggest, we will all get it whatever. Fear will stop you doing anything. Look after Granny.

All though serious, the problem is we don’t know too much about convid 19 ( to be sung to dexy’s midnight runners, Come on Eileen). It is quite a fragile virus and could die out or diminish with in weeks. Everyone is taking worse case scenario’s, like the fore-mentioned millennium bug. Before panicking and going for extreme measures remember that common flu kills 17,000 in U.K. every year, some years more. Also 27,000 are killed/SI in Rita’s, on our roads in U.K. each year. No one is suggesting we never cross roads. Death is the only thing certain in life and it gets all of us. Precautions yes but if it as virulent as worse case scenario suggest, we will all get it whatever. Fear will stop you doing anything. Look after Granny.
Keep this so someone can re-use it at your funeral ;)

On a serious note though, it isn't the actual getting it that worries me at all.

It's the reactions of other people and the consequences of that which terrify me.

The idea that we might close schools. Seriously?

We are meant to go on a short break in the Easter holidays. Can we? I am taking my wife to see a show in London for her 40th in April. Will it be on?

The panic buying is already happening. The people buying 27 loads of hand sanitizer don't seem to realise that I need it as well for them to be protected.

The racism against Chinese people has already been underway for weeks. This is done by the stupidest, least educated (and least interested in being educated) in our country. Good luck getting them to listen to reason

No wonder the virus is doing so well, it's taken the threat of a pandemic to get people to buy dispensable soap! I can almost forgive the stupidity of panic buying hand gel but wtf is going on with soap?! Didn't these people already wash their hands?! Mingers.

The Chinese government have likely kept the scale of the problem quiet and so undermined global efforts to control the outbreak. Hopefully anyone that thinks this makes it ok to be racist gets a good dose themselves.

There's no stopping the virus so the sensible move is to ensure there are no huge spikes in cases. Basically best to avoid doing nothing or a full lockdown (we'd simply get a huge spike as soon as measure were lifted).

Some of you said this might be bad news for Trump but the even worse news is the Democrats will run Bernie or Biden.

Steady down Polly, if you lived in the middle of Africa you might modify your point of view. Here in Oz it's pretty near the start of our Flu season and the vaccine which is administered free of charge is not likely to be available for another month or so, it could easily work out that some of us could be in trouble in the next month or thereabouts. One alternative to your view is perhaps to listen to Trump letting the USA know that there's nothing to fear. Until it happens of course. In the meantime there's no sign yet of it going away and some folk are still dying so why not take the serious approach. I don't think fear comes into it, more like being sensible to me.

If one lived in Africa seasonal flu would hit the elderly and certain disabled groups very hard. All I am arguing is that at present all we have is a very virulent strain that we know little about. The fear factor being thrown around far out ways the evidence. Many of the people that will die will have died of flu over the next year anyway. If 17,000 people die of this disease this year in U.K. the probability is that many would have succumbed to flu. It’s not flu that kills it is pneumonia or toxicity.
The downturn in economies, resulting in less expenditure and reduction of services will inadvertently kill more. Particularly in third world economies. Be precautionary but be realistic. Fighting over toilet rolls isn’t useful.

Whilst racism to people of Asian origin is unacceptable, it is very difficult to say anything positive about the Chinese government. They have continuously turned a blind eye to illegal wildlife trafficking that has been the cause for this and other similar outbreaks historically.

Moreover, you then have to look at some of their policies like the social points system, ethnic cleansing of the Uighur, state sponsored surveillance, complete disregard for global intellectual property laws, state sponsored corruption and exploitation of resources in developing countries, irresponsible lending to developing countries and the fact that the majority of their citizens are brainwashed by the state that they think all of this shit is great.

Horrible government that is a massive destructive force for the world.