Covid 19 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Covid 19

My insurance have said they will pay out if cancelled as I booked so long ago. Those who booked March or later won't be so lucky as far as I can tell.
Interesting to hear Madrid's thoughts about the islands, I just assumed it stood for all of Spain (including Canaries) but you never know.
Will have to do some digging 👌

Think you might have misunderstood me, Nobby. It's the bit about things getting worse in autumn which is just my opinion.

With regard to the islands, those aren't my thoughts, that's confirmed. Official advice is to avoid all non-essential travel to mainland Spain. There's no advice against travelling to the islands, but you would still have to quarantine for 14 days on your return (as things currently stand).

Think you might have misunderstood me, Nobby. It's the bit about things getting worse in autumn which is just my opinion.

With regard to the islands, those aren't my thoughts, that's confirmed. Official advice is to avoid all non-essential travel to mainland Spain. There's no advice against travelling to the islands, but you would still have to quarantine for 14 days on your return (as things currently stand).
Ah, OK. Still not a problem as I can work from home for 14 days (see above). Makes sense re travel advice as I understand the islands infection rate is still very low.
Cheers for that 👍

Ah, OK. Still not a problem as I can work from home for 14 days (see above). Makes sense re travel advice as I understand the islands infection rate is still very low.
Cheers for that 👍

The infection rate in much of mainland Spain is pretty low, the biggest problems are in Catalonia and Aragon. Belgium for example has banned travel to those specific regions, not sure why the UK has generalised and applied it to all of mainland Spain.

My daughter and grandkids are due over in just over a week's time. Her travel insurance won't cover them, maybe because it's very recently been taken out.
Worse still , she has to ask her boss at work about the self isolating period when they return , and whether they will allow it.

The infection rate in much of mainland Spain is pretty low, the biggest problems are in Catalonia and Aragon. Belgium for example has banned travel to those specific regions, not sure why the UK has generalised and applied it to all of mainland Spain.
Knee jerk arse covering i reckon. The Govt were heavily criticised for bringing the quarantine rules in so late so are making sure they react better this time, if they hadn't, some would say they are being slow again, especially if we get a spike as a direct result. People will be pissed off either way.
I read somewhere that the local restrictions are only due to be in fir about two weeks so hopefully won't have too much of an impact

It appears the governments of the Balaerics and The Canaries are trying to appeal the UKs decision stating “The Islands have a cumulative incidence of eight cases diagnosed per 100,000 inhabitants in the last 14 days, while in the United Kingdom this incidence is 14.1 and in Spain as a whole, 37.9."
Makes sense, if they are happy to allow us in, with a higher infection rate, we should reciprocate.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/ar...e-canary-islands-ibiza-majorca-uk-news-latest

It appears the governments of the Balaerics and The Canaries are trying to appeal the UKs decision stating “The Islands have a cumulative incidence of eight cases diagnosed per 100,000 inhabitants in the last 14 days, while in the United Kingdom this incidence is 14.1 and in Spain as a whole, 37.9."
Makes sense, if they are happy to allow us in, with a higher infection rate, we should reciprocate.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/ar...e-canary-islands-ibiza-majorca-uk-news-latest

It's been announced in last hour or so , the Govt of the Communidad Valencia are appealing the same thing.
The main outbreaks are within 'certain communities' so why should it affect the Costas , the Canaries or Balearics ?

Who are they appealing to, the U.K. government ?
One of the many complaints here has been the government flip flopping and changing their mind on a weekly basis.
I’d say make a decision and stick to it.
I’m actually amazed that any country would want U.K. tourists.

If someone were to fly from Alicante, how do you know where they started their journey.
You often meet people flying from Gatwick, who started their journey up north, or even Ireland.

Who are they appealing to, the U.K. government ?
One of the many complaints here has been the government flip flopping and changing their mind on a weekly basis.
I’d say make a decision and stick to it.
I’m actually amazed that any country would want U.K. tourists.

Yes , the boss of the regional govt , met with the British Consulate this afternoon.

If someone were to fly from Alicante, how do you know where they started their journey.
You often meet people flying from Gatwick, who started their journey up north, or even Ireland.
I was thinking similar, there's no controlling where people go once they reach mainland Spain. Same could be said for the islands I suppose, there are plenty of internal flights and ferries. Its all a bit if a minefield.
We marvel at how easy it is to travel the world now but it brings it's own problems at a time like this.

“The Islands have a cumulative incidence of eight cases diagnosed per 100,000 inhabitants in the last 14 days, while in the United Kingdom this incidence is 14.1 and in Spain as a whole, 37.9."

I know when you compare the figure of 37.9 with the UK, it's a fair bit higher, but just putting things into context - 37.9/100,000 people, that's 3.79 per 10,000. In other words, it's the equivalent in a packed Priestfield of around 4 people having been infected in the last 14 days. That's 2 people per week. Around 100 people per year. So for the virus to spread through a population of 10,000 people, unless my maths have gone wrong somewhere, you're talking somewhere close to 100 years.

As for the point about the islands, it's true that there's strictly speaking nothing to stop people from travelling from the mainland out to the islands and then back to the UK, generally I'd say it's fairly unlikely though. On mainland Spain though, I'd imagine there are plenty of people that must travel around a fair bit, that's impossible to control, so unfair as it may be, I'm not sure I fancy the Comunidad Valenciana's chances of joining the islands in gaining exemption from the quarantine rules.

I know when you compare the figure of 37.9 with the UK, it's a fair bit higher, but just putting things into context - 37.9/100,000 people, that's 3.79 per 10,000. In other words, it's the equivalent in a packed Priestfield of around 4 people having been infected in the last 14 days. That's 2 people per week. Around 100 people per year. So for the virus to spread through a population of 10,000 people, unless my maths have gone wrong somewhere, you're talking somewhere close to 100 years.

As for the point about the islands, it's true that there's strictly speaking nothing to stop people from travelling from the mainland out to the islands and then back to the UK, generally I'd say it's fairly unlikely though. On mainland Spain though, I'd imagine there are plenty of people that must travel around a fair bit, that's impossible to control, so unfair as it may be, I'm not sure I fancy the Comunidad Valenciana's chances of joining the islands in gaining exemption from the quarantine rules.
I agree re the "island hopping" idea but I presume they work on the fact that by quarantining everyone, it negates any tiny risk of that happening. Belt and braces and all that. With those low infection rates, I can't see any other reason for including the islands. As I said earlier, massive arse covering is at play IMO.

I think winning the lottery was said to be a 14 million to one shot, yet people still believed they could win it, 10 thousand to four sounds small in comparison.

Having helped my daughter, recently, with her maths homework, I would say that exponentionally speaking your maths are wrong ....

Having helped my daughter, recently, with her maths homework, I would say that exponentionally speaking your maths are wrong ....

Having not yet got on to such matters with my sons' homework, I don't know, maybe you're right.

I think winning the lottery was said to be a 14 million to one shot, yet people still believed they could win it, 10 thousand to four sounds small in comparison.

A quick Google shows in 2018, 25,511 people were seriously injured on the roads in Britain. That amounts to about 1 in every 2500 people.

There are an estimated 367,000 new cases of cancer diagnosed in the UK every year. That's about 1 in every 180 people.

There are any number of things out there that can bring our time on this planet to an end. This is just another one of them. My point is simply that sometimes, watching the news and reading the papers, you can get the impression that this virus is absolutely everywhere. It doesn't hurt sometimes to stop and think just how unlikely it is that it's going to affect you, put things into perspective a little. And yes, of course, I know that for those who are (severely) affected by it, and for their families, it's a tragedy, but so is any death, from any cause.

I agree re the "island hopping" idea but I presume they work on the fact that by quarantining everyone, it negates any tiny risk of that happening. Belt and braces and all that. With those low infection rates, I can't see any other reason for including the islands. As I said earlier, massive arse covering is at play IMO.

But if you're going to think like that, what's to stop people travelling via France? Or even Italy (a flight from Madrid to Rome is quicker than Madrid to Lanzarote)? After all, if it's OK for Stanley Johnson to travel to Greece via Bulgaria...

There are any number of things out there that can bring our time on this planet to an end. This is just another one of them. My point is simply that sometimes, watching the news and reading the papers, you can get the impression that this virus is absolutely everywhere. It doesn't hurt sometimes to stop and think just how unlikely it is that it's going to affect you, put things into perspective a little. And yes, of course, I know that for those who are (severely) affected by it, and for their families, it's a tragedy, but so is any death, from any cause.

That's exactly the way I look at it.
When pointed out to our now departed WK , we all saw what that led to.