Chairmans Chat... | Page 7 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

I wonder what this weeks chat will be about. I think the anticipation is better than the outcome most weeks but gives us something to talk about in the absence of a game .

I’d like to hear his thoughts on the most active Gills forum, where he is generally well supported.

Cream tea !!!
Contentious issue that.
I like Jam first but my Devon born wife says that’s sacrilege. 😁
They get very defensive about it, for some inexplicable reason.

Seems to have started a culinary wrangle, just glad i didn`t mention Pasties. However, whilst i`m here, does a Devon Pasty have more crimps and is it better than the product from down the road ? Come to think of it, even up the road do a decent job, if the pasties at Bristol Rovers are anything to go by !!

Maybe we should have a thread on the topic of GFC "culinary away days - the snack/meal you associate with different away game places/venues"

Our favourite Devon pastie comes from a bakers called Samfords although Blackwells is an acceptable alternative.
The difference really is the pastry.
Devon pastie tends to be flakey as opposed to the short pastry on the Cornish one.
The cream tea and the pasty were both invented in Devon no matter what the lot across the border say. They’ve even nicked St. Petroc from Devon.
Having said all that, Devon people still have an affinity with those down the road.
A bit like Medway folk secretly loving the Isle of Sheppey.

The cream tea and the pasty were both invented in Devon no matter what the lot across the border say. They’ve even nicked St. Petroc from Devon.
Having said all that, Devon people still have an affinity with those down the road.
A bit like Medway folk secretly loving the Isle of Sheppey.

Not sure about the cream tea but in the case of the pasty, I understood that the crimped part originated from miners in tin mines needing to hold it by that section and then throw that part away due to the natural arsenic that attached to their fingers.

Were there many tin mines in Devon?

You would prefer a hole in a doughnut rather than jam?

What has this world come to.

And a jammie dodger with no jam. Well that’s just a dodger.
I don’t mind a normal ringed doughnut as long as it’s not wrinkled and the icing is good. But inject chocolate or Nutella in a doughnut and you have a good’un.

In general I don’t like fruits invading cakes, chocolates and biscuits.

Not sure about the cream tea but in the case of the pasty, I understood that the crimped part originated from miners in tin mines needing to hold it by that section and then throw that part away due to the natural arsenic that attached to their fingers.

Were there many tin mines in Devon?
Treacle mines mate.
Devon is famous for mining treacle.
Where do you think treacle comes from?

Treacle mines mate.
Devon is famous for mining treacle.
Where do you think treacle comes from?
Suffolk well and large amount of sugar is grown in these parts. I would think they use some of that to produce the treacle which is also I think produced in Suffolk. I am sure there is far more links with treacle here than in Devon.

Suffolk well and large amount of sugar is grown in these parts. I would think they use some of that to produce the treacle which is also I think produced in Suffolk. I am sure there is far more links with treacle here than in Devon.
Your treacle is surface treacle.
It’s vastly inferior to deep mined treacle.
You can lick the walls.