Chairmans Chat... | Page 6 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

The question no one seems to ask is why would any football club be in financial difficulties if it was as easy as they suggest to attract investment ? Surely every club would have a route to instant success. Just say the club is up for sale, sit back, and wait for all the offers to roll in. That’s how it works isn’t it ?

Waldo it depends on the deal being offeredin exchange. It really is that simple.

If the deal is unattractive then no one would be interested.

There are people out there interested I backing lower league clubs. Peterborough, Lincoln, Ipswich were all in our league when they did.

Wrexham in the non league just did.

My conclusion is our deal on the table isn't Attractive. We will never know as he won't publicise what it is, perhaps understandably so

The fact is lower league clubs do attract investors. We haven't despite his 25 years of trying.

In a normal business I'd suggest we'd have changed the person pitching the deal by now.

If you can pay all the club's bills with the income and pay yourself around a quarter of a million a year i see that as an attractive proposition.

The only type of investor to make an offer would want:

a. Total control.
b. No to pay anybody else 250k a year.

That's why PDPS is still here - he wants a 250k yearly salary.

The club will not progress all the time he retains control.

You do know this board is social media right solent ? 😉

Although it does a lot of damage it also does a lot of good. I occasionally flick through twitter and there was an older lady who was clearly lonely and she tweeted could someone say hello on twitter as she hadn't had a conversation with anyone for weeks. Within minutes she had hundreds of replies and all sorts of conversations about gardening with photos of gardens being shared, she was a keen gardener.

Social media does a lot of harm but it also does a lot of good. Particularly during lockdiwn when people living alone were at risk of being truly isolated.

The one thing this club needs badly is someboby PR savvy, personally,I like the majority of fans on this board love the club, I also think Mr Scally is doing his best, we have a very good management team but Scally should stop talking he puts in foot in it,

I dont think there is anything to entice me back to Priestfield? Not been to a home game since March 2015!
You are definitely not a Gills fan then. There have been some fantastic games since 2015, that some of my casual Gills mates wouldn't have missed for anything!

You are definitely not a Gills fan then. There have been some fantastic games since 2015, that some of my casual Gills mates wouldn't have missed for anything!

Gillingham had my complete support from the age of 8 (1972/73 season) until 2015! I havent lived local since 2004 and I work alternate weekends! I am sure some of the football has been decent and I am sure after the dross we put up with between the good spells we appreciated the good times more!
Although I chose not to travel the 130 miles each way to Gillingham from my home doesnt make me not care about the club! Born in Canada House, cant get anymore Gillingham than that!!

Gillingham had my complete support from the age of 8 (1972/73 season) until 2015! I havent lived local since 2004 and I work alternate weekends! I am sure some of the football has been decent and I am sure after the dross we put up with between the good spells we appreciated the good times more!
Although I chose not to travel the 130 miles each way to Gillingham from my home doesnt make me not care about the club! Born in Canada House, cant get anymore Gillingham than that!!

The age old (well actually recent) question -do you hang on to the football team from your home town or invest your money and emotions in the team where you now live? In the old days, you changed because we didn't travel the same way. Today legging it around the country is doable (for now!). If Dad hadn't shifted from Bradford PA to Gills when he moved south to Medway in 1960 I wouldn't have been raised proper. Some say why choose, you can have two football mistresses. I laugh.

The age old (well actually recent) question -do you hang on to the football team from your home town or invest your money and emotions in the team where you now live? In the old days, you changed because we didn't travel the same way. Today legging it around the country is doable (for now!). If Dad hadn't shifted from Bradford PA to Gills when he moved south to Medway in 1960 I wouldn't have been raised proper. Some say why choose, you can have two football mistresses. I laugh.
It’s impossible to really, really enjoy a game of football if ‘your’ team isn’t in it.
It lacks tension and emotion.
The first year I was down here in carrot cruncher land, I went to the local derby Bideford v Barnstaple.
I enjoyed it because of the rivalry and it was great to see that the fans of each team were so passionate.
Beer at the pitch side was good and I got a bus each way so that I didn’t have to worry about driving.
But, it wasn’t as good as the worst Gills match as far as I was concerned.

Gillingham will always be my team, but it is ok i think to watch a more local team to where you live! Where I am in Buckingham, I have Oxford, MK Dons and Northampton not far away! Going down to Forest Green which I do about 8 times a season isnt too far on timescale! Just a bus to oxford, then the fast train to Stroud via Didcot and Swindon

It’s impossible to really, really enjoy a game of football if ‘your’ team isn’t in it.
The first year I was down here in carrot cruncher land, I went to the local derby Bideford v Barnstaple.
I enjoyed it because of the rivalry and it was great to see that the fans of each team were so passionate.
Beer at the pitch side was good and I got a bus each way so that I didn’t have to worry about driving.

Pre season I went to watch Berkhamsted v Hemel Hempstead! Short train journey from MK, £5 entry fee, and same as you beer pitch side! Only a friendly, but enough rivalry of 2 clubs a couple of miles apart!

I think we are in agreement, gentlemen. Enjoy the games of other, less happier, clubs, but the voodoo only kicks in with our own.

I like a once a season trip to Walsall! Not the most glamorous venue at the Bescot, but with an advance train ticket can do it for £8 from MK!

I am not Scally's biggest critic. Nor am I one of his biggest fans.But given the current circumstances.i believe he has done as much as he can to give us a fighting chance. I always felt this season would be a struggle I have never said otherwise. We have had a tough start with Covid, the embargo and injuries. Evans appears to have underestimated what he would need as looking at the squad comparison yesterday we have vastly more than we used last season in midfield. Especially when you consider that we included Woods and Willock both of whom hardly played .And up till yesterday not nearly enough in attack or defence.
On a very positive note given we were prevented from buying anyone at least we kept Oliver ,Tucker and Dempsey. Although we definitely appear to have been approached for Dempsey.
Scally needs to work to get them embargo lifted ASAP as we need to be able to sell and replace a player in January if it is deemed necessary.
For Evans he needs to prove that this squad is worthy of the shirt .They need to fight a lot harder and win the right to play in the opposition half more often .I believe we have some fighters in the side.
Perhaps the most worrying position now is left back and to a lesser degree right back given Jackson's continued injury problems.Evans must have seen something in Tutonda he liked .Last season wasn't a good one for the lad or for Ehmer for that matter. Now Ehmer appears to have settled back in a little perhaps he can help David as he clearly did Tucker two years ago.Tutonda needs to grow up fast he may have been thrown a extra few games with Jackson's latest set back .We definitely need him to be at the races against the divisions finest teams .
Getting anyone else worth having now will be difficult to say the least.But at least the business yesterday was positive.
MESSAGE TO AKINDIE:

YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO STAY NOW PROVE TO US YOU ARE WORTH SELECTING.DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO PROVE YOU ARE A LEAGUE ONE PLAYER. IT IS NOT TOO LATE IF YOU APPLY YOURSELF. IT STARTS NOW OR THE ALTERNATIVE IS A NON LEAGUE CAREER AT BEST FROM NOW ON.

I`m not so sure about that, Shotshy, though there is a rider, and you allude to it with your next five words: "It lacks tension and emotion"

I often enjoy watching an AFC Fylde game but then - watching them isn`t as tension-filled as watching the Gills. In a sense, watching a game that doesn`t involve "your team" can be more enjoyable as the result isn`t so important.

There might come a time when I find travelling long distances to watch the Gills a bit too much; that could mean me watching alternative "closer" teams more often than watching the Gills - unless the EFL can come up with a live HD TV package that allows me, as a non-Kent resident, to purchase every Gills game on-line ! I could then watch GFC TV whilst tucking into a Manchester Tart. You could do similar with a fine Cream Tea - all very civilised and not a murmur from "Scally Out" shouters - all very civilised !

Cream tea !!!
Contentious issue that.
I like Jam first but my Devon born wife says that’s sacrilege. 😁
They get very defensive about it, for some inexplicable reason.

Gillingham will always be my team, but it is ok i think to watch a more local team to where you live! Where I am in Buckingham, I have Oxford, MK Dons and Northampton not far away! Going down to Forest Green which I do about 8 times a season isnt too far on timescale! Just a bus to oxford, then the fast train to Stroud via Didcot and Swindon
Still a bit confused by this Mozzer. You say Gills will always be your team, and I can understand you popping in to watch MK, Northampton or Oxford as they're on your doorstep, rather than make the long journey to Priestfield. But then you say you make an even longer journey to see Forest Green around 8 times a season. Hmmm

Still a bit confused by this Mozzer. You say Gills will always be your team, and I can understand you popping in to watch MK, Northampton or Oxford as they're on your doorstep, rather than make the long journey to Priestfield. But then you say you make an even longer journey to see Forest Green around 8 times a season. Hmmm

Buckingham to Gillingham 110 miles
Buckingham to Nailsworth 68 miles

If you read it again I don’t say its a longer journey, I say its not far on timescale!!