Chairmans Chat... | Page 9 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

For those of us old enough to remember the days before social media , videoed 'Chats with the Chairman' , interviews with the players , manager etc didn't exist. And somehow we managed to soldier on.
The current , voracious demand for fans to be kept up to date , brings with it , its own set of problems.

I was glued to Ceefax on a match day when we were playing away.

For those of us old enough to remember the days before social media , videoed 'Chats with the Chairman' , interviews with the players , manager etc didn't exist. And somehow we managed to soldier on.
The current , voracious demand for fans to be kept up to date , brings with it , its own set of problems.

Absolutely we did, however, the chairman stated he was gonna do a Chairman chat and now seems to have given up after around a month? I also remember Scally saying he was gonna set up a twitter account which he never did. I don't particularly blame him, mind.

Got to feel sorry for the guy on the communications...

...a complete lack of communication and lots of people (rightly) get pissed off.

Then he communicates regularly and people take the piss out of him:
- for promoting revenue generating opportunities
- for moving the meeting by a couple of days
- for criticising ‘fans’ who jump in to the directors’ box to abuse him
- for not answering every fan’s specific question on every topic
- for some of the cringiness when roping in BFSE and sponsors to explain the damage that the moaners are doing.

Honestly, these people are just on a wind-up. Their dislike of PS is so strong that they are blinded when he actually does something good.

You make some good points but to be honest if a football club is promoting a Whitney Houston night, they are gonna come in for criticism. I think football fans would be more geared up for tribute acts like the Rolling Stones or Oasis personally but that's just my opinion. I agree some of the abuse towards Scally is over the top but if he starts having a go at supporters who made the trip to Shrewsbury within 40 seconds of the Chairman chat then he's bound to come in for some criticism.

I've heard some of the chants from Gills fans at Shrewsbury or Burton Albion and while I wouldn't chant that after minute one, those that have travelled have been labelled "not real supporters" which is silly, there's a balance somewhere inbetween the two mate.

I think anyone that travels that kind of distance is a proper Gillingham supporter but they may share a difference in opinion whether they are Scally in or not. Its insulting to suggest they are not Gills fans.

For the record I'm not shouting for Scally to leave and to be honest I'm grateful just to have a club to support post covid.

You make some good points but to be honest if a football club is promoting a Whitney Houston night, they are gonna come in for criticism. I think football fans would be more geared up for tribute acts like the Rolling Stones or Oasis personally but that's just my opinion.

Maybe the club is trying to appeal to a wider audience than just the average guy who goes to football. On a side note, the 20-30 or so nurses at my other half's workplace have just bought tickets for a (presumably different) Whitney Houston tribute act. On a hunch, I think the venue doing the gig wouldn't get 20-30 of all the people in the office signing up for an Oasis tribute act in comparision.

Maybe the club is trying to appeal to a wider audience than just the average guy who goes to football. On a side note, the 20-30 or so nurses at my other half's workplace have just bought tickets for a (presumably different) Whitney Houston tribute act. On a hunch, I think the venue doing the gig wouldn't get 20-30 of all the people in the office signing up for an Oasis tribute act in comparision.

Don’t think anyone has a problem with that. But is it too difficult to arrange the stones, oasis sort of gigs for match days? When there are likely to be a willing 500 punters happy to mill about after the match to watch and listen. Hopefully spending cash on food and drink whilst waiting.

Then the Whitney events could be scheduled for non match days to try and encourage the 20/30 nurses (plus others) on a evening when the factory would normally be shut.

Don’t think anyone has a problem with that. But is it too difficult to arrange the stones, oasis sort of gigs for match days? When there are likely to be a willing 500 punters happy to mill about after the match to watch and listen. Hopefully spending cash on food and drink whilst waiting.

Maybe you should email Scally and ask him to arrange an Oasis tribute band gig. Better still, what about Rolling Stones opening for Oasis?

Chairman mentions he's coming after certain 'fans' both individually and collectively as a group.
I wonder if he reads this board ?
Would anyone on here be 'at risk' ?

Chairman mentions he's coming after certain 'fans' both individually and collectively as a group.
I wonder if he reads this board ?
Would anyone on here be 'at risk' ?
I’ve already warned one of the posters on the GITBTV Facebook site who repeated the guff about Scally paying himself an additional £46k (that Scally addressed specifically) that he might like to get himself a solicitor !

I’ve already warned one of the posters on the GITBTV Facebook site who repeated the guff about Scally paying himself an additional £46k (that Scally addressed specifically) that he might like to get himself a solicitor !

The 'don't shout for scally to go' thread got 500+ posts.
Most will just be 'I don't like him' posts versus various degrees of support.
Without trawling back through , we're there any libelous comments made ?

The 'don't shout for scally to go' thread got 500+ posts.
Most will just be 'I don't like him' posts versus various degrees of support.
Without trawling back through , we're there any libelous comments made ?
Nah!
Not on this forum.
I don’t think so.
The people he is talking about will know who they are and will probably be receiving a recorded delivery letter shortly.

I do like Chairman’s chat. He is very open, honest and passionate about the Gills. And, like he said, you wouldn’t get the same level of engagement from the Glazers, Levy et al.

But I wish that the editing were better. PS went on for about 15 minutes about negativity and damage that some ‘fans’ are doing with false allegations. It only needed to be said once and after that it was a bit nauseating. The media guy should have edited the rest out.

Good to see him address some of the false allegations directly such as the consultancy fee issue. I’d previously said that £200k (of whatever it is) would have expenses deducted from it - and he confirmed that a chunk of it was indeed used to pay off staff whilst he was in Dubai.

I really think that Chairman’s Chat can be weaponised by Scally. If he takes the time to succinctly address each of these false allegations in his Chairman’s Chat, it’ll really expose certain people as trouble makers who are spreading falsehoods. I think that is better PR than saying that you’re going after certain individuals. This is his platform to get his message across.

Nah!
Not on this forum.
I don’t think so.
The people he is talking about will know who they are and will probably be receiving a recorded delivery letter shortly.

We’re reasonably well behaved and it feels like we have a diverse range of opinions so a lot of the shite gets exposed for what it is. Compare that with some of the other forums that are simply echo chambers for ScallyOut campaign!

But I wish that the editing were better. PS went on for about 15 minutes about negativity and damage that some ‘fans’ are doing with false allegations. It only needed to be said once and after that it was a bit nauseating. The media guy should have edited the rest out.

I think it was edited, at least partially - I noticed at least 2 cuts during that section.

I'm glad he did another chat. Some good bits and many less good bits.

I think he spent far too long on the whole fans and social media things. He should have said "I'm not happy with it and will be taking action", now onto positive things happening at the club ...................

The most interesting thing he said was he took a 50% cut during the covid year. Had he said that last year (as Evans did) he would have got a lot of support and a lot more of the fans respect and appreciation that he craves.

The update on the factory was interesting but what I wanted to hear was more of :

- this is what we are doing to try and get more fans in
- these are the promotions we have coming
- this is how you get a question to me

He brushed the lower gates of as due to COVID, no acknowledgement that we may not have got the ticketing policy right or any discussion on trying different things

He said multiple times that he wanted to focus on the positives. I agree that's what he should have done, instead he focussed on the negatives of social media for the fans for the bulk of it.

As I said I'm glad he did it, just wish it left me feeling more informed on the positive things we are going to try to do progress as a club. Just my view.