Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm | Page 32 | Vital Football

Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm

Against Liverpool, everything we hit finished up in the net somehow. That was Burnley last night. Two of theirs trickled in just beyond every stretching leg /finger. It just happens. I don't think there are big lessons here - luck is a factor in football and we lacked it last night.
just need to be totally ruthless in front of goal

Ollie is still learning, and so will Wes be when he finally returns, I know I’ve said it before, but I’d love Giroud or a player of that ilk to take Ollie under their wing for a season...what a player we’d have then.

Ollie is still learning, and so will Wes be when he finally returns, I know I’ve said it before, but I’d love Giroud or a player of that ilk to take Ollie under their wing for a season...what a player we’d have then.
I see Chelsea's new man put him straight back in the team and left out Tammy and Mason Grealish

Pre-season I probably would have taken that, but after the start we had and the way others have under performed, a European spot is still up for grabs
I am just thankful that we had that start, because as tight as the defence has been we still persist with the zonal marking that sees the smallest defenders picking up the tallest forwards.
We are half way through the season and it shows no sign of altering despite continuing to cost us goals.
With Mings and Konsa we should be able to deal with aerial threats that most teams pose, but like last night we ended up with, I think, Targett pitted against their biggest forward.

Their goalkeeper was pretty good.
Sometimes games are won by the inferior team.
Sheffield United beat Man U last night with 24% possession.
News to me BBJ, I switched off and read a book as soon as the final whistle went.
The Ole out brigade will be in full voice again this morning.

Last edited:
"Shooting straight at the keeper" - exactly my thoughts and it's what happened in the home game against them. We have seen some superb running with the ball from Jack ending up saved as he takes it too close to goal on his left - he is a hell of player though.

The Giroud call I agree with, he's the one name I'd love to come on loan here for the rest of the season.

Oh give over. Fans have been moaning for years about Bruce-ball and boring football.

We finally have an exciting team to watch and now their too cocky.

No pleasing some people.

Facts are we massively outplayed them first half.

We outplayed them by a small margin 2nd half.

We defended badly for the 1st goal. That happens to all teams, it's no arrogance, it's football.

2nd goal was a complete fluke.

3rd goal was a sublime finish.

I didn't see any let up in desire, skill or determination. I didn't see any arrogance. I just saw a game of football. These things happen. As well as a team plays it only takes a second for the opposition to score a goal and you're never gonna stop them all.

I for one hope we play on Saturday like we played last night, as if we do chances are we'll win.
This 1000 times over. The result was an aberration. It happens in football. That's why it's so exciting.

Just because it was a header and it was Burnley, don't underestimate what a worldy their third goal was.

Just noticed that every match we lost his season, when the opponent scores, they score a couple....and they seem to score them in quick succession:
Leeds 55, 67, 74 mins
Saints 20, 33, 45 mins
Burnley 76, 79 mins
it's like we panic once the opposition scores and just capitulate. A sense of "what do we do now? "

For the Newcastle game, we were coasting, werent in any trouble at all and deano made 2 subs in the 65th min.... last night, after the second goal there should have been changes. 80 mins is too late. Unfortunately it looked like Davis has magnets in his boots to try and attract the ball... but the magnets were facing the wrong way and just repelling it anytime it went near him.

Thought tarkowski could have been sent off for the tackle from behind on ollie. There were a few good balls played into space that we ran onto and looked decent, goals came from low crosses from out wide, thought we tried to play through the middle too often and play through a crowded box.

Corners really need to be worked on, especially for teams like Burnley who scored the majority of their goals from set plays. Don't have McGinn and Luiz marking the centre backs and have mings marking space.... space doesnt score goals, players do.

I dont think we shoot at the keeper ggs, I think they just hit the bloody thing as hard as they can with little or no thought as to placement.

Yeah I agree. I'm not suggesting they purposely do it, its usually a case of thump it as hard as you can without picking a spot. Ollie's one on one last night was just poor control to begin with, the ball seemed to get stuck between his feet and put him out of his stride

A few thoughts on last night. I'm still none the wiser how we failed to win that match.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/burnley-have-the-wood-over-us-again-but-how/
"In terms of individuals, it is bizarrely in vogue at the moment to throw pelters in the general direction of Tyrone Mings, but I’m not having that. Everyone has a mistake in them during a match and last season, mistakes were routinely punished. This season, not so much, and I would much rather Mings was showing for the ball and trying to play football than hacking it upfield or into the proverbial Row Z"
Not sure where this idea of throwing pelters at Mings is coming from.
I have critcised his annoying and dangerous habit of playing football in inapropreate places and feel it is a valid criticism.
It is very noticeable that he has, in the last few games started to put the ball out when 1on1 at the back. Has he been told?
The one time last night he chose not to play it out he got caught in possesion.
He has the makings of a good defender but there is room for improvement in his game.
If criticism is constuctive or warranted I dont see why it shouldnt be aired in these pages.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. I'm not suggesting they purposely do it, its usually a case of thump it as hard as you can without picking a spot. Ollie's one on one last night was just poor control to begin with, the ball seemed to get stuck between his feet and put him out of his stride
He never looked like he was confident in that 1 on 1 from the very start, thought he went across the defender hoping for a touch for the penalty.

Read back through the match threads on here, and across social media more widely - it seems to be his fault every time we concede a goal, even though that stats show that errors by him have led to precisely NO goals conceded.

If criticism is constuctive or warranted I dont see why it shouldnt be aired in these pages.
Quite rightly so :clap:

In terms of individuals, it is bizarrely in vogue at the moment to throw pelters in the general direction of Tyrone Mings, but I’m not having that. Everyone has a mistake in them during a match and last season, mistakes were routinely punished. This season, not so much, and I would much rather Mings was showing for the ball and trying to play football than hacking it upfield or into the proverbial Row Z
I have critcised his annoying and dangerous habit of playing football in inapropreate places and feel it is a valid criticism.
It is very noticeable that he has, in the last few games started to put the ball out when 1on1 at the back. Has he been told?
The one time last night he chose not to play it out he got caught in possesion.
He has the makings of a good defender but there is room for improvement in his game.

I do think Tyrone is being singled out a bit recently and his mistakes are being highlighted far more than others. I mentioned on Saturday about Konsa losing the ball on the halfway line and putting us in danger, yet it barely gets a mention by anyone. Mings does overplay it at times, but he's nowhere near as bad as some are making out.
As long as I can remember we've always seemed to make a scapegoat in the team that needs replacing, Mings is just the latest and as soon as he is replaced we will move on to someone else.

Read back through the match threads on here, and across social media more widely - it seems to be his fault every time we concede a goal, even though that stats show that errors by him have led to precisely NO goals conceded.

Quite rightly so :clap:
This is the closest I get to social media JPA.
Its both poisonous and juvenile and from the little I have seen copied on to these pages I can well do without it in my life.