Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm | Page 30 | Vital Football

Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm

Burnley 0.48 Villa 2.61 on expected goals on MoD. Must be one of the biggest margins of expected victory to end up in galling defeat.

I've still no idea how Xgoals is supposed to work lol Such a meaningless new media statistic that never works.

Burnley 0.48 Villa 2.61 on expected goals on MoD. Must be one of the biggest margins of expected victory to end up in galling defeat.
Even harder to take when we were the better side, If it's any consolation we have been the better side in a lot of games and come away with nothing this season, so i take that as a massive improvement on what we are used to watching, we have no fear of anybody anymore,when was the last time we thought that?

Altho I agree, and the double miss of Watkins 1v1 and Barkley hitting the crossbar was the finest of margins. It is an embarrassment to let a team who have scored so few manage 3 against us.

All of them are on management's doorstep. The first goal was horrendous. How does that happen? How do we end up with two towering CBs on Luiz?

The canary in the coalmine watching it back si their chance on the 65th minute that Martinez does excellently to save. That chance again came down our right side. I think going up and getting a goal right after it clouded Deans judgment. Traore should have been off before they took tip off.

Our goal didnt change the momentum of the game they still came at us like it was 1-1. That goal changed nthing for them. They had the confidence that they could shut us down and compete. Whatever tweaks and team talk Dyche had it worked and fair play to him. Dyche won that game.

Sadly for us, Dyche's HT talk I can only imagine was easy psychologically.

You should be 5-0 down, they've embarrassed you but they can't score, you're better than this - get out there and show it. If they get a second, you can still get more...dig in.

Ours sadly would've been (understandably) keep doing what you're doing and that second will come. You're in control, they have no threat blah blah = but it's not as if we were even complacent really, they did just get lucky.

Looking at the first goal it looks to me like Barkley was assigned as one of the "blockers" to the centre-backs and he just stood there and watched Mee run past him. Two things to this. 1) This zonal marking from set-pieces has caused so many goals-against that surely it has to be changed. Teams know if they keep it away from a static Mings/Konsa who are defending the space in front of Martinez, then they will get a free header. There are many ways to execute a zonal marking system at set-pieces, but the way we do it simply doesn't work. 2) Barkley should be nowhere near our own box when defending set-pieces. He has proven throughout his career that he's passive defensively, hence why he was a perennial substitute/60-minute player at Chelsea under four different managers (watch him when he's near a potential 50/50 block tackle to see his unwillingness to do that side of the game).

Sadly for us, Dyche's HT talk I can only imagine was easy psychologically.

You should be 5-0 down, they've embarrassed you but they can't score, you're better than this - get out there and show it. If they get a second, you can still get more...dig in.

Ours sadly would've been (understandably) keep doing what you're doing and that second will come. You're in control, they have no threat blah blah = but it's not as if we were even complacent really, they did just get lucky.
I just watched Dyche's post-match interview. Spot on mate....

Sanson nailed on to get a game at the weekend in place of Barkley. I think Dean Smith knew that when he bought him. I wonder if Barkley was taken on loan because there were doubts about him. It was a shame that he got injured as he has struggled since but that has been the whole of his career. If he wants to get into England for the Euros he needs to seriously up his game as he was bang average tonight.

Since returning from injury he has been rubbish. I will give him some more games before I make a final judgement on him.

It’s one half mate.....really disappointing yes and frustrating but even though we lost,we played some terrific football. Think of Watford, Leicester, Saints, Bournemouth away last year...lost them all and were worse than useless. Absolutely no comparison to where we are now. Think we’re also 14 points better off at present compared to the same number of games last season. We won’t get it right all of the time every single game and can’t let one disappointing half cloud what’s been a cracking season so far.

I understand we are doing much better than expected and this defeat has taught us 2 lessons:

A. In the prem, you have to convert as many chances created as possible. There can be no excuses for not winning a game where you create 27 chances !

B. Use our subs effectively and in a timely manner.

PS: Still pissed !!

Down to earth with a bump!

You don’t go from being gash to great in one leap, so all this talk of Europe etc is nice to dream but we got a crushing reminder last night that our real ambition is to go from gash to being good, and give us a platform for next season.

Deano has done well this season but results like these prove he’s not perfect and has development needs of his own. He’ll have to show his mettle and get them back to winning ways, COVID or no COVID.