Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm | Page 33 | Vital Football

Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm

I do think Tyrone is being singled out a bit recently and his mistakes are being highlighted far more than others. I mentioned on Saturday about Konsa losing the ball on the halfway line and putting us in danger, yet it barely gets a mention by anyone. Mings does overplay it at times, but he's nowhere near as bad as some are making out.
As long as I can remember we've always seemed to make a scapegoat in the team that needs replacing, Mings is just the latest and as soon as he is replaced we will move on to someone else.
I think the problem is people start to consciously or sub consciously spot or look for these things once highlighted.
I also think a lot of it started with his post re his comments about Villa fans on Twitter and El Ghazi.

Any blame should be directed to them all for the different aspects that failed last night. And that's from our coaching staff down to the players.

If Mings was out injured I wouldn't be surprised to see people say we badly miss him and we need him back in the heart of the defense ASAP.

Football has always stirred peoples opinions and nothing will change any day soon:thumbup:

I take a different view to some on here regarding the shooting. I prefer to see players hit the target hard rather than trying to place every shot, particularly in crowded penalty areas like yesterday. I get more infuriated when they try and curl it in and miss the post by a metre or so. We belted a few on target and more often than not they will go in if not directly then by a deflection. So no criticism there from me. Yes Ollie lost some control of the ball on the 1-1 but his first goal was class finishing. And maybe some credit to the keeper on the evening? We scored 2 goals which not many have there but let 3 in. Do we have to I score 4 to win a match?
I’m afraid we lost due to basic defensive errors as Dean said. There were 2 free headers and a somewhat freak goal but even there we didn’t get tight enough to try to stop the shot/cross or whatever it was. We do have this Achilles heel in us as per Leeds and Southampton at home and it must be sorted.

I take a different view to some on here regarding the shooting. I prefer to see players hit the target hard rather than trying to place every shot, particularly in crowded penalty areas like yesterday. I get more infuriated when they try and curl it in and miss the post by a metre or so. We belted a few on target and more often than not they will go in if not directly then by a deflection. So no criticism there from me. Yes Ollie lost some control of the ball on the 1-1 but his first goal was class finishing. And maybe some credit to the keeper on the evening? We scored 2 goals which not many have there but let 3 in. Do we have to I score 4 to win a match?
I’m afraid we lost due to basic defensive errors as Dean said. There were 2 free headers and a somewhat freak goal but even there we didn’t get tight enough to try to stop the shot/cross or whatever it was. We do have this Achilles heel in us as per Leeds and Southampton at home and it must be sorted.

Last night I thought unlike usual we weren't blasting it over the bar. Like they'd decided to at least keep them on target. But it's Pope and he just saved them all.

I'm still very upset, worse than any previous game...because I think this game shows we are headed for the top of the bottom half this season. I know any higher was going to be greedy....But look how we've played at times!

But sitting here today I thought of something. The people that wanted Smith as manager (includes me) wanted to see the attacking swagger of Brentford. Well we've got it. BUT why did Brentford never top their league or even get close?
Now we know maybe?

Last night I thought unlike usual we weren't blasting it over the bar. Like they'd decided to at least keep them on target. But it's Pope and he just saved them all.

I'm still very upset, worse than any previous game...because I think this game shows we are headed for the top of the bottom half this season. I know any higher was going to be greedy....But look how we've played at times!

But sitting here today I thought of something. The people that wanted Smith as manager (includes me) wanted to see the attacking swagger of Brentford. Well we've got it. BUT why did Brentford never top their league or even get close?
Now we know maybe?

I think last night we all thought at HT we couldn't lose this and Smith would have been the same even if he wouldn't say such a thing but the players were very overconfident second half and all of a sudden we'd lost the plot in the last 15 mins . In hindsight at 2-1 we should have shut up shop brought on Marv for Ross, Elmo for Bert but it was never going to happen it's just not our style is it.

Now we know maybe?
Well I didnt want him, but now we have him I like what he has done with this team.
I am under no illusions with regard to Europe this season, never thought it was going to happen and still dont.
But for the first time in a long long time I look forward to watching us play, warts and all.
You make a good point re Brentford.

I think last night we all thought at HT we couldn't lose this and Smith would have been the same even if he wouldn't say such a thing but the players were very overconfident second half and all of a sudden we'd lost the plot in the last 15 mins . In hindsight at 2-1 we should have shut up shop brought on Marv for Ross, Elmo for Bert but it was never going to happen it's just not our style is it.
Also, I havent seen a Villa team in many years that can shut up shop.

Agree, second half Dean probably should have changed it earlier after taking the lead but hindsight is a wonderful thing. If he’d done that and Burnley had gone onto draw/win he’d have then been criticised for shutting up shop too early and not going for the killer third goal. Fine margins.

Agree, second half Dean probably should have changed it earlier after taking the lead but hindsight is a wonderful thing. If he’d done that and Burnley had gone onto draw/win he’d have then been criticised for shutting up shop too early and not going for the killer third goal. Fine margins.
Yep a hell of a lot of our opinion is based on Hindsight, change it when you are winning is a brave decision and as soon as Burnely went in front that was it 11 man defence

First half was joyous, Everything you could want. Great to be alive. Missed some but they have a great goalie....easy win second half.

Second half....Villa of last season. We scraped back to 2-1 but even then old Villa chucks it away.

It's like my joy was a glowing horseshoe that was quenched in a bucket of icy water.

Do you get awards for the best metaphor?

I agree mate, with regard to shooting, Harry Kane blasts the ball into the corners, he's an exceptional striker though. If he can just have to get a shot in he bladders it but given time he bladders it inside the post.
Bert has sidefooted a couple in but still with pace. Gary Shaw and Platty were probably some of the last great finishers I can think of always a knack of finding the inside of the post

If we hold Man City’ performances as a long term goal for us then they shut up shop through their passing. We can play some scintillating football on the break but struggle to play it out of defence. We make it look difficult, try a few passes, then invariably pass it back to Emi to hoof up the field. When pressurised our defence panics and if I were an opposing manager, like Dyche, I’d get at us there.
Love the attacking football though and Dean is well ahead on this season’s journey. And we have Morgan to press a claim in overall improvement too.

I agree mate, with regard to shooting, Harry Kane blasts the ball into the corners, he's an exceptional striker though. If he can just have to get a shot in he bladders it but given time he bladders it inside the post.
Bert has sidefooted a couple in but still with pace. Gary Shaw and Platty were probably some of the last great finishers I can think of always a knack of finding the inside of the post
Was watching a championship match last season with mick McCarthy doing commentary... he said he used to play with someone named Alan Clarke at Barnsley who was the best finisher he ever seen and that always passed the ball into the goal, never put his laces through it.... very rarely missed. I thought this was a brilliant soundbite..... but mainly cos my name is Alan Clarke too so was able to rewind and record it and pass it off that I'm the best player Mick McCarthy has ever seen..

I think we were just playing an in form team with a very good coach and we took out foot off the pedal after cruising through the first half. I was in disbelief when the second went in, shocked after the third. When we went behind the players heads dropped, the game was lost, Jack was furious and rushing everything he tried to do.

It's a poor game and a real shame because a win would have kept us on target for a european spot. I was already checking the table at half time, absolutely gutted.

Life goes on, maybe we can rob something against Southampton and West Ham and all of this will fade away into a non issue.

. Gary Shaw and Platty were probably some of the last great finishers I can think of always a knack of finding the inside of the post
You can add He Who Walks On Water to that list Villan57.

Was watching a championship match last season with mick McCarthy doing commentary... he said he used to play with someone named Alan Clarke at Barnsley who was the best finisher he ever seen and that always passed the ball into the goal, never put his laces through it.... very rarely missed. I thought this was a brilliant soundbite..... but mainly cos my name is Alan Clarke too so was able to rewind and record it and pass it off that I'm the best player Mick McCarthy has ever seen..
I take it this is the same Alan Clarke that was at Leeds in their brilliant 1970 title winning team.
I can agree that he was one of the finest strikers I have ever seen.
He was clinical and had that strikers knack of knowing where the ball was going to end up.

I seem to remember having seen this leg-breaking, filthy and nasty challenge from behind at Burnley last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's part of the training under that gobshite Dyche.

I am really confused here.
Is this the tackle that he allowed play to go on and then went back to book him, but we didnt come out of the incident with the ball, so why no foul given?