Brewers vs Suppers | Page 5 | Vital Football

Brewers vs Suppers

We started brilliantly and Burton couldn't get near us but it seemed like we got to a certain point in the first half and lost our shape and composure and went back to hoofing it. The wing backs stopped getting foward, Keane and Lang were too high to link up the midfield and we left Naylor and Power out numbered in midfield and we started losing all the second balls. We started lumping it to an isolated Magennis up front on his own and we just started playing completely against our strengths and into Burton's. It was like the Accy game in reverse. I'm sure the bad pitch and weather played a big part in that but at times we played a couple of passes together we looked so much better but then we'd go back to the ineffective long balls on a tiny pitch and losing posession nearly every time. We were also making so many individual errors all over the park - we battled and worked hard as always but we just weren't at our usual levels tonight.

Tactically I think the issue was getting out numbered in midfield and it was disappointing we made no attempt to rectify it. I think we desperately needed Shinnie on in the second half to start winning second balls and giving us more link up. For me the subs didn't make any difference as they didn't do anything to help us win or keep the ball.

Bennett is a good full back and has good delivery but he generally doesn't get forward enough to be a wing back - not sure if it's his age and legs or fitness but he can't constantly get up and down the way a wing back needs to. We had zero threat down the left, I'd have liked to have seen Pearce come on to try and give us some energy and pace down the left.

Burton were very limited but I think they were probably more on top after our good opening 20 or so mins for the resr of the game and created more chances. We can complain about Magennis not scoring but at least the keeper had to save that - they had a few gilt edge chances that were a certain goal if they hit the target and they completely missed. The only one they didnt miss Watt's performed heroics. So we got some serious let offs tonight.

Overall it's obviously a disappointment as a win would've all but sealed the deal with Rotherham losing heavily. But it's still a valuable point when we could have easily lost that - and if we did I don't think we could really moan. We let Burton drag us into their game and struggled against a team far better suited to hoof ball.

Maybe a bit of complacency creeping in, a collective off night, bad conditions, tactical mistakes or maybe a bit of all of them but whatever it was I think the players will probably come away frustrated in the performance. But we're still in an excellent position, it's still another point on the board and we just have to ensure we bounce back on Saturday at home and get back to doing what we do well.
I think we see the game in the same way. Pearce and Shinnie could’ve given us more balance tonight, Keane couldn’t get involved as there was no space.

I think Leam is quite poor with the use of substitutions .
I actually agree with this, for me it's his weakest area. Far too late to act whenever a game is in the balance like tonight. I've also have issues with him in the past not taking players off who need a rest during a busy schedule when games are clearly won, increasing the likelihood of injuries/fatigue. I put both down to lack of experience.

It's a strange one, because his tactical adjustments in game are normally good. God knows how he's going to cope with five subs to play with next season!

I understand why he doesn’t change things too much as Keane sometimes plays shite but then scores. No players have let us down this season but I do think a few haven’t had enough chances to impress.
That said either Kerr or Watts would’ve come off for us to change formation tonight and between them they earned us a point tonight with their great defending at the end of the game.

I actually agree with this, for me it's his weakest area. Far too late to act whenever a game is in the balance like tonight. I've also have issues with him in the past not taking players off who need a rest during a busy schedule when games are clearly won, increasing the likelihood of injuries/fatigue. I put both down to lack of experience.

It's a strange one, because his tactical adjustments in game are normally good. God knows how he's going to cope with five subs to play with next season!
Agree with this.

I think generally Leam’s trust is quite hard to win over. We have a core XI that he trusts but beyond that I think he lacks confidence in the remaining squad (or perhaps is more conservative with his approach to bedding players in). I think this would explain why players like Hump/Shinnie/McGrath rarely get a start despite looking good and putting in some good performances and also explains why subs are often made so late in the game.

Think there are definite benefits to this approach and this is exemplified by how comfortable Kerr now looks in the starting XI but it can definitely be frustrating at times.

Fingers crossed we’ll be saying the same about Hump, Thelo and McGrath in the champ next year!

We need to be able to change things quicker if we go up. We’ll be under the cosh a lot more but are more than capable of staying up if we get it right. It will be the test of whether Leam is a good manager next season if we go up. Some have done well with a lack of resources but the right tactics in the championship.

We need to be able to change things quicker if we go up. We’ll be under the cosh a lot more but are more than capable of staying up if we get it right. It will be the test of whether Leam is a good manager next season if we go up. Some have done well with a lack of resources but the right tactics in the championship.
Positive thoughts only, if we go up there's nowt stopping a good go at the play offs at least next season.

Who’s living in fear? Staying indoors when I’ve got it doesn’t help me in the slightest, but it does help others. It’s about not acting like a selfish prick such as yourself and adhering to governmental advice to protect others.
That's 2 so have 1 back - it helps no one you dick - suppose you're still wearing a mask as well 🙈

Could have won, could have lost. Awful pitch (even though it looked decent). Bobbling all over .... certainly not conducive to a tight passing game. Massive crown on it too.

Seen a pic of Talal on the terracing ..... brilliant ..... (lazy bastard me was sat down).

Can't remember last 0-0 I saw.

Constant long ball on a narrow pitch in terrible conditions but hey let's not play to our strengths with a pass n move on the deck. Not many stand out players tonight & possibly Max's worst game for us, wrong decision after wrong decision, plenty of misplaced passes & indecision, a game he'll prob want to forget. Such a shame we couldn't capitalise on Rotherams defeat n go even more clear...
I agree about Max but think Naylor was shocking, by far and away is worst game for us.

Could have won, could have lost. Awful pitch (even though it looked decent). Bobbling all over .... certainly not conducive to a tight passing game. Massive crown on it too.

Seen a pic of Talal on the terracing ..... brilliant ..... (lazy bastard me was sat down).

Can't remember last 0-0 I saw.
Nothing wrong with Burtons pass and move, opened us up countless times and only last ditch defending and their poor final balls stopped us getting well beaten.

Nothing wrong with Burtons pass and move, opened us up countless times and only last ditch defending and their poor final balls stopped us getting well beaten.
It seemed to me (from row B) that most of their openings came from our mistakes ... certainly first half. Second half was at t' other end of t' pitch, so couldn't always tell,......but certainly their late chance(s) was/were.

It seemed to me (from row B) that most of their openings came from our mistakes ... certainly first half. Second half was at t' other end of t' pitch, so couldn't always tell,......but certainly their late chance(s) was/were.

Have you told me that you watched from row 'b' so you had a better view, well I can trump you 1 was on row -A, in the disabled section, not so many wheelchairs and mobility scooters at an away game before, it was like a 'cripples firm' had turned out.

Ps before anyone gets on their high horses about my terminology I am a fully paid up member myself now.

That's 2 so have 1 back - it helps no one you dick - suppose you're still wearing a mask as well 🙈

You never answered the question. So I’ll rephrase it - explain how I am living in fear if I have covid and I am not going out to avoid infecting others? And explain how it helps no one if I’m remaining indoors thus limiting its spread? You have spent too much time with like minded fuckwits, obsessing over covid conspiracy theories I’m afraid.

A poor game and a poor performance.

Second half didn’t change much and the tactics with the wing backs were very ineffective on a small pudding of a pitch. Clearly the outstanding moment of the match was in injury time. Excellent challenge from Kerr when that lad was through and a brilliant goal line clearance on the follow up from Watts. Every credit to keep switched on. Given that, the context of the game and our league position it’s definitely a point gained so I’ll take that.
Leam got it wrong tonight Burton dictated our midfield two, the ineffectual Keane should have been replace with Shinnie.

One last thing tonight before bed, the journey home was a nightmare, road closures and detours galore, add that to the gridlock at the ground, good grief there was only 3500 or so on, wonder what it would be like with double figures.

Have you told me that you watched from row 'b' so you had a better view, well I can trump you 1 was on row -A, in the disabled section, not so many wheelchairs and mobility scooters at an away game before, it was like a 'cripples firm' had turned out.

Ps before anyone gets on their high horses about my terminology I am a fully paid up member myself now.
I was admitting that the view from my seat wasn't great .....especially in the 2nd half, when they were attacking the other end ....seat 4, so right in the corner!!!

You never answered the question. So I’ll rephrase it - explain how I am living in fear if I have covid and I am not going out to avoid infecting others? And explain how it helps no one if I’m remaining indoors thus limiting its spread? You have spent too much time with like minded fuckwits, obsessing over covid conspiracy theories I’m afraid.
Absolute bollocks fella - it's done and you are hiding fm something which is no longer dangerous.
The "at risk" are fully protected the rest are not affected - stop your fear and live your life - you are continuing to peddle a fear that's no longer a thing - according to the latest official advice.
Your either Chris Whitty in disguise or a slacker dodging work - feckin man up

One last thing tonight before bed, the journey home was a nightmare, road closures and detours galore, add that to the gridlock at the ground, good grief there was only 3500 or so on, wonder what it would be like with double figures.

Ditto with the journey back....we thot we'd dine well to avoid traffic going past ground by doing a left on the stadium roundabout.....going great till we got to our supposed M6 North junction, it was shut & we were sent a detour southbound to next junction...16 mile detour. Followed by loads of lane closures back up north, not great after a depressing nil nil draw.

Agree re the journey, but got away fine (parked on the grass verge on Derby Rd).

The M6 was a joke too ...first, loads of signs warning of a reduction to one lane ....which didn't happen, yet slowed down the traffic for miles, then the opposite, where 4 lanes went to 1 with zero warning.

Also, the Derbyshire council need to invest in some bloody cats eyes for the A50. Bloody awful.

Absolute bollocks fella - it's done and you are hiding fm something which is no longer dangerous.
The "at risk" are fully protected the rest are not affected - stop your fear and live your life - you are continuing to peddle a fear that's no longer a thing - according to the latest official advice.
Your either Chris Whitty in disguise or a slacker dodging work - feckin man up

Think you are a bit disingenuous there Hampton not all "at risk" are fully protected or in my late Dad's case were fully protected as he passed away with covid despite 3 Jabs. So if anyone feels they want to isolate / don't isolate then that's surely down to them & not to be derided surely.