Boxing thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Boxing thread

Smith’s either got his tactics wrong or is overawed by the opponent. Too slow on his feet to get out after the jab and he’s clearly taking more punches.

Last edited:
Smith was embarrassing what a shithouse.

I’m annoyed I stayed up for it and annoyed he stayed on his feet as had money on Canelo KO too at good odds 2/1

You were bang on about the time to prepare, in a lockdown in 4 weeks to prepare against a world class opponent was in hindsight ambitious. I just think him and his team have done himself a massive injustice he was that bad. He’s thrown the highest ever number of punches for a fighter in the weight (800 odd) yet threw probably a third of that last night and landed hardly any of them.

I get he has to take the big fights when they come but that was just all wrong. I was excited by it as I thought he had an outside chance but it was like watching Canelo in training or sparring by the end of it

I’m annoyed I stayed up for it and annoyed he stayed on his feet as had money on Canelo KO too at good odds 2/1

You were bang on about the time to prepare, in a lockdown in 4 weeks to prepare against a world class opponent was in hindsight ambitious. I just think him and his team have done himself a massive injustice he was that bad. He’s thrown the highest ever number of punches for a fighter in the weight (800 odd) yet threw probably a third of that last night and landed hardly any of them.

I get he has to take the big fights when they come but that was just all wrong. I was excited by it as I thought he had an outside chance but it was like watching Canelo in training or sparring by the end of it

I'm actually more pleased about my view on how Smith struggles with the shorter guy who can fight up close. It wasn't really picked up in a lot of the punditry. This was his biggest short coming, his jab isn't actually that good against a guy who makes you think before throwing and Smith absolutely has no clue about distance and how to optimise his natural length.

When you see a tall guy actively negating his height by constantly leaning in and negating his arm length by fighting up close then you know that tall guy is on to a loser.

Smith's tactics were awful but again, you could see the massive difference in levels. Canelo, as much as I hate him, is a great fighter at this stage, Smith is just an average super middle in the scheme of things, world level because the division isn't very strong.

High time we stop hyping up British fighters, very few of them are actually any good. Fury is the only genuinely exceptional boxer on this island.

I'm actually more pleased about my view on how Smith struggles with the shorter guy who can fight up close. It wasn't really picked up in a lot of the punditry. This was his biggest short coming, his jab isn't actually that good against a guy who makes you think before throwing and Smith absolutely has no clue about distance and how to optimise his natural length.

When you see a tall guy actively negating his height by constantly leaning in and negating his arm length by fighting up close then you know that tall guy is on to a loser.

Smith's tactics were awful but again, you could see the massive difference in levels. Canelo, as much as I hate him, is a great fighter at this stage, Smith is just an average super middle in the scheme of things, world level because the division isn't very strong.

High time we stop hyping up British fighters, very few of them are actually any good.

Fair play, you you know you’re stuff I only noticed it last night about the hunching in, and giving away that height advantage.

I couldn’t get over how bad he is on his feet, he’s planted to the ground most of the time. He didn’t seem to ever get onto the balls of his feet to spring in and out. He should’ve tried to jab Canelo from range as that was the only way he was going to win but he was caught in no mans lands like a punch bag.

His first round was good if slow, he threw as many punches and kept his distance, next two rounds were as though he was just told to take it easy and stay in the fight. Then round 4 you’re thinking he’s going to up the levels, then round 7 when he had to if he was going to do anything - but didn’t. How he got three rounds off two judges I don’t know.

Completey agree about overhyping British fighters, it’s embarrassing the levels of difference sometimes when you’re telling the nation of Mexico he’s the English warrior or stuff like that, but then he did have a belt so of course they want to over hype it. Over to Billy Joe then...

Fair play, you you know you’re stuff I only noticed it last night about the hunching in, and giving away that height advantage.

I couldn’t get over how bad he is on his feet, he’s planted to the ground most of the time. He didn’t seem to ever get onto the balls of his feet to spring in and out. He should’ve tried to jab Canelo from range as that was the only way he was going to win but he was caught in no mans lands like a punch bag.

His first round was good if slow, he threw as many punches and kept his distance, next two rounds were as though he was just told to take it easy and stay in the fight. Then round 4 you’re thinking he’s going to up the levels, then round 7 when he had to if he was going to do anything - but didn’t. How he got three rounds off two judges I don’t know.

Completey agree about overhyping British fighters, it’s embarrassing the levels of difference sometimes when you’re telling the nation of Mexico he’s the English warrior or stuff like that, but then he did have a belt so of course they want to over hype it. Over to Billy Joe then...
Haha yep, Billy Joe, Canelo will give him an absolute pasting. Billy Joe is an absolute myth of a fighter who hypes himself up for beating Golovkin's left overs in a less impressive fashion. Billy Joe Fraudster as I like to call him.

Agree with all of the above. Nice breakdowns.
Fury in my opinion is head and shoulders above anyone in the world. He is just too good. He has had fights where he hasnt looked so amazing but so did Mayweather and M.Ali. Thats just boxing.
He really is a very special fighter.
As for the other British hype trains i have to agree. National and even European level they look great. When they get to world class opponents they are exposed.
For me, AJ is lucky to have fought the opponents he has and at certain points in their career that make them not at peak performance levels.

For me, AJ is lucky to have fought the opponents he has and at certain points in their career that make them not at peak performance levels.

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw Lennox Lewis on some daytime programme - when you factor in he reached the top of the sport nearly 20 years where conditioning, diets, training etc has all evolved - I think Lewis is superior to AJ on like-for-like timeframes.

AJ has hit the top of the sport with a few contenders, just at the time the king of the hills from Ukraine were retiring and looking for big pay days. Even Fury - who is undoubtably a top heavyweight with the natural skill and top movement for a big man that he has - doesn’t have the power some former heavyweights had.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this the other day when I saw Lennox Lewis on some daytime programme - when you factor in he reached the top of the sport nearly 20 years where conditioning, diets, training etc has all evolved - I think is superior to AJ on like-for-lile timeframes.

AJ has hit the top of the sport with a few contenders, just at the time the king of the hills from Ukraine were retiring and looking for big pay days. Even Fury - who is undoubtably a top heavyweight with the natural skill and top movement for a big man that he has - doesn’t have the power some former heavyweights had.
I would have loved to have seen Tyson vs iron mike, hollyfield, lennox, Vitali at peak et al. FURY has an iron chin when vs modern heavyweights but the heavy weights of the 90s hit way way way much harder. So be interesting to see if he could cope. We will never know.
Fury doesnt need a huge KO punch the way he fights... but i think with his new/old coach Kronk back in play that is something they will be working on. I have never seen a heavyweight move like Tyson though, for a monster of a bloke it really is insane.
Obviously you had Cassius Clay but he was way before my time.

I'd pick Lewis and Vitali (who is one of the best heavyweights I've ever seen in his prime) to beat Fury prime for prime. I'd pick Fury over Mike Tyson and Holyfield. Riddick Bowe in his pomp (which didn't last that long) could have possibly beaten Fury IMO.

I'd pick Lewis and Vitali (who is one of the best heavyweights I've ever seen in his prime) to beat Fury prime for prime. I'd pick Fury over Mike Tyson and Holyfield. Riddick Bowe in his pomp (which didn't last that long) could have possibly beaten Fury IMO.
Its a tough one. Every time i make a case for one... the other fighter pops in my head and i change my mind. Its a very difficult one to call. Imagine how much those fights would be worth in todays market?

Not meaning to derail.

But Fury has again been incredibly honest on the subject of mental health on Wossy's show tonight. Really has gone up in my mind from the bellend I thought he was.
He's a proper decent family man but really struggles at times must be awful