Boxing thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

Boxing thread

Thought BJS was fighting well, I gave him the first round and 2 later on. Canelo was probably one up on the score cards given judge bias at the time but BJS was finding the angles and combinations, and would’ve won more rounds.

The pace and power of Canelo is another level, I think it startled BJS at the start but he did settle into the fight really well.

I also gave BJS 3 rounds but it was a pea shooter against a tank, BJS has no power and landed nothing of substance, pecking away with a jab isn't enough.

Anyway the myth of BJS as this great skillster is hopefully well and truly over, he was dining out to win over a very average Lemieux for years, never bothered stepping up to the elite end of the division and as soon as he does he gets properly shown up.

I also gave BJS 3 rounds but it was a pea shooter against a tank, BJS has no power and landed nothing of substance, pecking away with a jab isn't enough.

Anyway the myth of BJS as this great skillster is hopefully well and truly over, he was dining out to win over a very average Lemieux for years, never bothered stepping up to the elite end of the division and as soon as he does he gets properly shown up.

I do think he’s a born natural fighter and in perspective of the profession, a good one. I think he’s the best of the U.K. fighter at that weight, perhaps Callum Smith might arguably out score him though if Canelo is the benchmark then BJS wins, and he’s proven he’s better than Eubank Jnr (who I can’t stand).

Having a belt or two at one weight is something, Canelo needs to become an octopus to hold all those belts at different levels.

This is what BJS said after Dubois vs Joyce LOL

“Fighters get in that ring and we know what’s on the line. Every fighter needs to understand and the fans need to understand that. In the past, we’ve seen a lot of tragedies in boxing, deaths in the ring. Before I go on one knee I’d like to go out on my back with my pulse stopped," Dubois told DAZN's AK & Barak show.

“Everyone has their own thought process in the ring and what went on in the ring I don’t know. He obviously felt he could not continue. You look at the greats, the eyes, the face, we get through that. That’s the path in life we choose for a living. We punch people in the face and get punched in the face.

If my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse. I don’t agree with a man taking the knee and letting the ref count him out.”

I do think he’s a born natural fighter and in perspective of the profession, a good one. I think he’s the best of the U.K. fighter at that weight, perhaps Callum Smith might arguably out score him though if Canelo is the benchmark then BJS wins, and he’s proven he’s better than Eubank Jnr (who I can’t stand).

Having a belt or two at one weight is something, Canelo needs to become an octopus to hold all those belts at different levels.
I just think he's average. If that makes him the best at his weight in the UK then fair enough. His best wins like Andy Lee and Lemieux. Not saying a lot IMO.

I just think he's average. If that makes him the best at his weight in the UK then fair enough. His best wins like Andy Lee and Lemieux. Not saying a lot IMO.

He hasn’t had enough big fights that for sure, a good record on paper but not enough names

Although on paper Billy won a few rounds it was just box ticking.
Canelo was just watching, looking for gaps, sussing him out. Canelo could have won at any moment. He was just treading carefully for the first part but his quality was a million miles apart from BJS. Canelo is a class act.

Although on paper Billy won a few rounds it was just box ticking.
Canelo was just watching, looking for gaps, sussing him out. Canelo could have won at any moment. He was just treading carefully for the first part but his quality was a million miles apart from BJS. Canelo is a class act.
I think he's unbeatable at the weight at this stage. I thought Golovkin won their first fight and arguably their second but he's too long in the tooth now at 39 and Canelo is better fighter now than in those fights anyway.

Andrade wants to fight but he's another who may take 3-4 rounds but ultimately lose and possibly by stoppage. Charlo would be easy work as well. The only way I see him losing is if he goes back to light heavy and fights Beterbiev or Bivol. Plant and Benavidez at super middle would also be interesting fights IMO.

Tyson Fury says his world heavyweight title showdown with Anthony Joshua will take place in Saudi Arabia on 14 August.

The all-British bout has been billed as one of the biggest in heavyweight boxing for decades and the winner will become undisputed champion. Joshua, 31, holds the WBA, WBO and IBF belts, while Fury, 32, is WBC champion.

The fight will see all four belts contested in a heavyweight bout for the first time in history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56754526

Tyson Fury says his world heavyweight title showdown with Anthony Joshua will take place in Saudi Arabia on 14 August.

The all-British bout has been billed as one of the biggest in heavyweight boxing for decades and the winner will become undisputed champion. Joshua, 31, holds the WBA, WBO and IBF belts, while Fury, 32, is WBC champion.

The fight will see all four belts contested in a heavyweight bout for the first time in history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56754526

Where’s the “don’t like” button when you need it!

Well yes this should be held in the UK really. But it also deserves a sell out crowd. This is a 2 fight deal... So I am hoping hoping hoping that the first will be in Saudi to get that done then the second fight will be a packed Wembley stadium once restrictions are lifted. That's what I am hoping. I would definitely go.
But then again, we are talking about Eddie hearn and Bob arum who will just go where the money is unfortunately. I fear that the Saudi wonga will trump the loyalty to the British fans. Massive injustice in my opinion. And how bloody dare they.

PS. Rip Joshua.
I predict a landslide points victory or late stoppage in favour of the gypsy king.

What a disgraceful money grab, reflects awfully on all involved. Saudi Arabia is a truly disgusting country.

Neither Joshua nor Fury can ever credibly speak out on discrimination and over societal issues again.

I believe F1 is now holding a race in Saudi so Lewis falls into the same bracket.

After AJ called out black people should boycott white people which I believe only exacerbates the situation, I’ve gone off him completely.

Where I am slightly in two minds, is the chicken and egg of the situation. Can high profile sporting events force a reduction in the inhumane treatment of people, for example they aren’t going to want lots of bad press from stoning women or gays to death in a run up to a big event so perhaps it will drive change. As much as I disagree with what the fighters and Hearn have signed up to, but It didn’t surprise me - I always thought it would be out there.

I believe F1 is now holding a race in Saudi so Lewis falls into the same bracket.

After AJ called out black people should boycott white people which I believe only exacerbates the situation, I’ve gone off him completely.

Where I am slightly in two minds, is the chicken and egg of the situation. Can high profile sporting events force a reduction in the inhumane treatment of people, for example they aren’t going to want lots of bad press from stoning women or gays to death in a run up to a big event so perhaps it will drive change. As much as I disagree with what the fighters and Hearn have signed up to, but It didn’t surprise me - I always thought it would be out there.

That's always the defence but I don't buy it unless they speak out about it.

Don;t think it works, despite -as MF says - it always being the defence. China getting the Olympics hasn't improved the rights for their citizens after-all and if you google the death toll for the poor 'slaves' building stadiums in Qatar for the world cup, I think you'll be shocked at the numbers.

Don;t think it works, despite -as MF says - it always being the defence. China getting the Olympics hasn't improved the rights for their citizens after-all and if you google the death toll for the poor 'slaves' building stadiums in Qatar for the world cup, I think you'll be shocked at the numbers.

It’s etched on my brain that one, something like 1300. It’s all justified though because the death rate of migrants is about average apparently :unsure:

As we’ve rightly pulled up Anothny Joshua for example on this topic, I wonder if Gary Linekar - who is very vocal about immigrants on Twitter - will attend and receive a pay cheque for his apprentice in Qatar? Yes, I thought so too.