Boxing thread | Page 22 | Vital Football

Boxing thread

Saunders wouldnt stand a chance against the elite. Groves would have beaten him. Imagine what froch would have done. Not a fan of the bloke inside or outside the ring.

Froch and Calzaghe would’ve destroyed him in their prime, Froch lacked a bit of personality for me.

I never rated groves that much, I was at the fight where he nearly beat Froch in Manchester, he was never a world class fighter for me but boxed to the best of his ability.

Callum Smith and BJS would be a good fight at super middleweight, big fan if Callum Smith very impressive boxer - saw him in NYC on the AJ undercard, big fan

Froch and Calzaghe would’ve destroyed him in their prime, Froch lacked a bit of personality for me.

I never rated groves that much, I was at the fight where he nearly beat Froch in Manchester, he was never a world class fighter for me but boxed to the best of his ability.

Callum Smith and BJS would be a good fight at super middleweight, big fan if Callum Smith very impressive boxer - saw him in NYC on the AJ undercard, big fan
I actually thought Groves had some really good skills, decent hand speed and some real explosive power let down enormously by a shitty chin and terrible gas tank.

Froch without his chin wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I must admit I really hated him and enjoyed watching Andre Ward completely school him.

Saw the post fight interview of Terri Harper and Natasha Jones. I understand it was a great fight but didnt watch it.
I respect their right to do whatever they please and compete in the sport but personally for me i find it uncomfortable seeing 2 young ladies standing there covered in blood and cuts after knocking hell out of each other.

Last edited:
Why? These women are highly trained and doing what they love. They wont be bothered that they have cuts and bruises.
You should see some of the women ufc fighters. They would DESTROY any untrained man in seconds. They are build differently. Any fighter has a very unique mind set. Its like comparing SAS soldiers to office workers.
On a side note i will be fuming if joshua vs fury is not in the UK.

I get Melon's point but I also take yours Col. It's just one of those things that feels wrong even though I've sat there cheering on Jade Jones and Nicola Adams etc.

Reminds me of that reporter who was slammed by a female fighter/martial arts thing but I can't find the video.

I know it's partially sexist but I love seeing women take men down (I like them lol) but woman on woman I do struggle with, whilst admiring them. If that makes sense?

Why? These women are highly trained and doing what they love. They wont be bothered that they have cuts and bruises.
You should see some of the women ufc fighters. They would DESTROY any untrained man in seconds. They are build differently. Any fighter has a very unique mind set. Its like comparing SAS soldiers to office workers.

That wasn't my point. I certainly appreciate their skill, athleticism and mindset to put themselves into the ring and as I said in my post they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. And I'm sure they are not bothered at all about their injuries or the potential for injury.

As said I just for whatever reason feel uncomfortable watching it and then seeing them afterwards. Like MF I'm not sure I can put my finger on why as I am not taking a sexist view point at all.

Delighted to see Whyte get knocked out cold, total hype job, Povetkin is ancient these days at 40 years old. Never understood why Whyte thought he was entitled to a big fight, done nothing, beat no one.

Delighted to see Whyte get knocked out cold, total hype job, Povetkin is ancient these days at 40 years old. Never understood why Whyte thought he was entitled to a big fight, done nothing, beat no one.
Yeah totally agree. He is just a very lucky brawler. No real genuine boxing skill. No where near as good as he thinks he is.
And im sorry if he wobbled joshua then literally anyone at that level has a chance.
Joshua is the biggest hype train of them all. Zero head movement and a very suspect chin. Fury will make him look like a little boy.
Joshua does have talent, obviously. But he is nowhere near as good as what he is portayed as being.

Just at the point I was thinking I hope Povetkin retires, he was shot, he punched the lights out of the relatively average Whyte.

Love how it ruined the script for the slimeball Eddie Hearn. Then he was interviewed and you could see what a fix boxing is. The mandatory option won't be called by Tyson, for Povetkin, so it might bring the Fury v Joshua fight closer.

I think Fury would wipe the floor with any of them, didn;'t used to have that much respect for him because of what surrounds him, the silly singing etc (I know, I'm a stick in the mud) but grew to really respect how good a boxer he is.

Agreed, fighters are fighters, a different breed, no matter the sex.

Just woke up to see that Lomanchenko has lost his three title belts to Teofimo Lopez by unanimous decision... can’t say I’ve heard of Lopez but he’s sounds like something special, only his 16th professional fight.

Just woke up to see that Lomanchenko has lost his three title belts to Teofimo Lopez by unanimous decision... can’t say I’ve heard of Lopez but he’s sounds like something special, only his 16th professional fight.
I'm pretty shocked about this and will watch it later. Most sources seem to think the win was fair although Julie Lederman (daughter of Harold) only gave Loma one round which seems silly.

Lopez it must be said is a much bigger man and career lightweight where as lightweight is Loma at his limits. At 32 now maybe Loma is on a bit of a slide? I'm not sure if there's a rematch clause in the contract either.

Loma has struggled when he has fought substantially bigger opponents, such as Salido (where he lost) and even Luke Campbell.

I'm pretty shocked about this and will watch it later. Most sources seem to think the win was fair although Julie Lederman (daughter of Harold) only gave Loma one round which seems silly.

Lopez it must be said is a much bigger man and career lightweight where as lightweight is Loma at his limits. At 32 now maybe Loma is on a bit of a slide? I'm not sure if there's a rematch clause in the contract either.

Loma has struggled when he has fought substantially bigger opponents, such as Salido (where he lost) and even Luke Campbell.
He held 3 belts. There would 100 percent be a rematch clause. 100 percent.

He held 3 belts. There would 100 percent be a rematch clause. 100 percent.
It's been suggested there isn't but that seems to come from Lopez himself. When Uncle Bob is involved it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't a clause and he was hoping to cash Lomachenko out.

As you can see Lopez is a lot bigger, played a factor for sure. Lopez has the dimensions and natural size to go up to at least light-welterweight.

Last night was a little bit like the Salido fight, another much bigger opponent. Loma started slow, gave away a big lead and then had a stronger finish. Have to say though, Loma really didn't look very good last night, footwork and hands were a lot slower than I've ever seen.