Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm | Page 11 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm

I grew up in the 90's and our defence was rarely a problem for the mighty Villa. Even into the early 2000's, the defence was always one of our stronger areas.

Seeing this defence with no leaders, no line, no pace, no positional sense, no bottle is hard to watch.

Luckily we are in the championship, we'd be tore a new arsehole in the premier league even by teams like Leicester and West Ham.

Is anyone else worried that Sjm will have had enough of trying to be our whole midfield by the end of the season ? I really am

He'd fit in really well at a club like Burnley or Brighton. Gone are the days where I'd say that as a facetious comment, it would be a step on in the career for SJM to be at a lower-mid table premier league club.

DS will have to give SJM that "give me one more year, and if we are still here I'll promise to sell you" chat.

16 goals with18 games still to play Silhill......he is by no means the finished article but without him this season where would we be? A lot lower than 13th me thinks! If he wasn't scoring your point might be more valid but don't think you can suggest a guy with so many goals to his name is a problem.....conceding 45 goals in 28 games is!
He's a great goal scorer that's obvious . In a good team he will be even better. In a poor team like ours the lack of hold up play isn't a great scenario . Especially when you can't defend and have a one man midfield

16 goals with18 games still to play Silhill......he is by no means the finished article but without him this season where would we be? A lot lower than 13th me thinks! If he wasn't scoring your point might be more valid but don't think you can suggest a guy with so many goals to his name is a problem.....conceding 45 goals in 28 games is!

He’s a striker, what else is he supposed to do? Pretty sure I saw him clearing one away in the first half, he strikes me as very much a team player.

He'd fit in really well at a club like Burnley or Brighton. Gone are the days where I'd say that as a facetious comment, it would be a step on in the career for SJM to be at a lower-mid table premier league club.

DS will have to give SJM that "give me one more year talk, and if we are still here I'll promise to sell you" chat.
Tbh he’d grace any club and give 100% whoever he played for wouldn’t he ? We desperately need more like him , I’m a glass half full guy but I’m really worried about it he villa atm , feel like the rot that set in is taking years to fix , the lion is sleeping tonight , I want it to fucking roar again .

I really don't know where to start and what to say.....

First, I will try and pick out the good bits

McGinn, Tammy were a credit to themselves today - their workrate and commitment to the cause was second gto none - I will also speak about Tammy in the bad bits

The bad - where do you start, that was one of the worst 45 minutes of football I can remember, and have we had some crap over the last few years. Bar the two above, the other 9 looked totally devoid of anything - skill, composure, confidence, hunger just nowt. Then 2nd half he pushe d Bennie further forward and we looked a team. Benny missed another sitter, we scored, it seemed to me Bennie then headed one off the line for them, it was only a matter of time before we got the winner - they just resorted to whack the ball out of play at the first opportunity.

So what does Smith do - takes bloody Bjarnsson off, and we totally lose momentum, another niaive decision of "stick all the forwards on" - after that sub, the game became a scrappy affair and they had as many chances, if not more, than we did.

I feel today you saw the exact issue at the Villa - it is not missing Tuanzabe, it is not missing Grealish - it is missing leaders - have a look at Hull's second goal. Have a look what happens afterwrads. All 11 players just stand there looking at the floor, eventually turning, and all walk back to the centre circle not even looking at each other, never mind an inquest.

As we reached the centre circle, it took a 20yr kid on loan from Chelsea to start shouting at the others.

Where the feck is the leadership ? - where is the responsibilty > - there is none.

In short, I suppose a 2-2 when you are 2-0 down is a blessing, but being blessed with getting a draw against Hull City at home, and being 13th in the Champiosnhip is not my idea of a successful side.

Utterly dreadful 45 mins
Good 25 mins
Dsjointed 20 mins

Motm - McGinn - again

SMith - worrying - yes I will give him time, but ONLY if I can see us build for the future (this season is gone) - Green, OHare, Davis and maybe one or two others deserve a chance - Bolassie and a few others have had theirs and failed.

Agree with your point about leaders, we lack any real leadership on the pitch which emphasises the effect both Snoddy and JT had last year. However to say we haven't missed Jack and Axel is just nonsense and as for criticising Smith for taking off Bjarnason....yes he was better second half but that wasn't difficult after being beyond poor for 45mins.....I'd rather he was hauled off after half an hour, bloody useless!

Tammy was fantastic today. His work rate was up there with SJM. He was the only vocal one. He was telling the wingers to push on and cut out the short ball from the keeper. The should just do that anyway? He was also getting frustrated with being the only one pressing at times. I do wonder if a few know their days are numbered and are just coasting?

Had a few hours to digest that game now. Appalling 1st half. We actually started brightly but from the moment Hourihane tried to beat a man for the first time in his life and miserably failed leading to an incredible goal line clearance we were abject.

By now Kalinic is probably wondering why no one in front of him seems to ever tackle or close anyone down. Defence and midfield, bar John McGinn, was a shambles. Bjarnisson has gone back to what he was when he 1st arrived, barely looking like a professional footballer. Hourihanes stats were probably great again. If it weren't for him being able to take a free kick he'd still be playing back in Ireland.

Adomah can bugger off. So can Bolasie. Kodjia can as well. Can't believe I was concerned at the reports of us selling him a week ago. If some French team is stupid enough to give us 6m for him I'd snap their hand off.

Time to praise a couple of lads. John McGinn, kept that whole team going today. Where others were lethargic he was full of energy and willingness. He deserves better than those around him. The same can be said of Tammy. He ran his socks off today and deserved a goal. If our other loanees, and most of our permanent players showed anywhere near the attitude he did today we'd have very few problems.

I'm 100% behind Dean Smith. He has to be given the chance to get his own players in because most of this current mob are not fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned. The only concern is the total unwillingness to even try some of the academy lads. I'm assuming whelan was injured today? We had no central midfielders on the bench. No JDH or O'Hare. The O'Hare one particularly baffles me. He was on the bench from the blues game right up to when Jack got injured then dissappeared. I cannot believe that either of the 2 players mentioned can be worse than Bjarnisson was today.

Last edited:
Don't get any criticism of Tammy at all. He was 2nd only to Mcginn today as our best player. Thought he had a good game.

Mcginn is an example for all players today. Can't credit him enough for his performance. Dragged us through.

A couple of people around me are always slagging him off. I think it's because he's not "our" player. But then they loved snoddy last season. 17 goals and its not even February yet. I think we've bigger problems to be honest.

Last edited:
I think the main reason we miss tuanzabe is because of his ability to bring the ball out of defence. He's decent on the ball and quick as well so it just added an extra dimension. Now we've just got the midfield and defence endlessly exchanging sideways and backwards passes.

Yes I said to MD at half time , it scares me to death when Chester or Elphick try and play football. I know Smith wants ball playing centre halves but those two aren't the players to do it.

I didn't see the game so I can't be 100% on this....I had logged into a betting website and into the villa game.... there was an option to view what was happening ie who had the ball, passing, interceptions and if it was a dangerous attack etc it looked like a game of sensible soccer on the PC in the 90s. Anyway, what I noticed was the distribution from the keeper was quite bad, all goal kicks seemed to go to a hull player. But that could be said for a lot of players. Any passes that villa had were sideways and short. I only started "watching" at 40 mins and didn't see Adomah name featured until he was subbed.

Something else that really grinds my gears is the lack of creativity for corners and free kicks. Every one is the same, no runners, no imagination.

Could do with some fresh faces in this week... but I can't see anyone coming in for our squad players.

If I was Conor Hourihane I would be embarrassed by Mc Ginns performances. I would be thinking I want to play with that commitment and energy and I would try and become like McGinn. He seems to think
that making his money off dead balls is all he needs to do. And Bollasie....receives the ball and then stands there with it for a while ...it’s like he is checking whether their defence is all ready for him before he has a go. Kodja and Adomah are similar in that respect. The flicks and 1 touch stuff I saw Smith overseeing at Brentford and at the start of his villa reign seems to have stopped now. Maybe the injuries have not helped.