Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm

But what if you believe he isn't the calibre to move us forward? Why waste money on another average manager bringing in their average players? It seems to me that DS gets so much support because he is a Villa fan. I worry about the next 12 months, I hope I'm wrong I want him to succeed, as I want any manager to, I just have this feeling of the emporers new clothes.

So if you clearly think Dean Smith is average and not the answer . Suggestions ?

The problem for Smith is that he needs some good results soon otherwise if the fans get on his back it will be very difficult to get them back.
The yardstick for him is the playoffs as that is what Bruce managed and anything less will be considered as failure by many.
The rumbles of discontentment are there already so soon into his tenure and these need to be quelled to avoid the inevitable.

Or the fans could get a grip stop being the epitomy of modern football want it here want it now fans and see it for what it is. Instead of throwing their toys out after the manager has been here for 3 months with no transfer windows

We pride ourselves as being a cut above other clubs fans scoffing at them when they are demanding unreasonable changes at their clubs. Yet lots are no different when it comes down to it. Few fans at the ground and here showing their true colours now things are not going well isn't there?

It's basically an utter shambles left by the previous regime and manager.

I made the point last week that it doesn't matter who out of Barney , Hourihane , Whelan plays and in what position , the result is the same because they are all the same style of player.

The balance of the squad is all wrong.

Watching the MOTD highlights from yesterday, Arsenal pressed as a unit so when one of the midfielders goes to press high up the other midfielders then push up to press to cut the triangle out.

What we have is someone like McGinn will press high but Hourihane doesn’t seem to have the desire to get up, Whelan is outside of his comfort zone and Barney could be anywhere.

Why it works with Jack in the team - and a huge reason why we miss him - is because he has the energy to press - McGinn supports him, and Tammy also works hard from the front. We have regressed from a team learning to press high - we didn’t quite have the fitness for it but gave it a go - to a team that can’t even give it a go.

That (I think) is what DS wants to do but we need a footballer in that hole between defence and midfield who can press, and another body in the squad who wants to and can put a shift in whilst pressing.

We’re linked with Harry Arter today - from what I remember of seeing him play he might be a useful addition.

So if you clearly think Dean Smith is average and not the answer . Suggestions ?

giphy.gif

What happened to Hause yesterday? With the furore around his signing, I was surprised to see him on the bench?
I do believe that Smith will do well once he gets his team playing his way. Brentford are not far behind us and that is by and large his team playing his way. Given the resources he has now at his disposal, he should get us promoted, if not this season, then next.
Keep the faith - Dean Smith is the man to make us great again.

I thought the first touch by Bolasie set the tone for the first half. There was a brief 5 minute flurry when we looked like we meant business then they reverted to tripe, sorry type. A truly awful performance until half time.
Then they came out and looked like they meant it. A switch to 4-4-2 when Kodjia came on made things look a lot more positive.
I won't comment on the poor performances but, for me, the only two who really earned their money and a place in the team next Saturday were McGinn and Abraham.
Question. How long does it take to get a player match fit? If Hause isn't an improvement on Chester or Elphicke why are we paying him a wage?

What happened to Hause yesterday? With the furore around his signing, I was surprised to see him on the bench?
I do believe that Smith will do well once he gets his team playing his way. Brentford are not far behind us and that is by and large his team playing his way. Given the resources he has now at his disposal, he should get us promoted, if not this season, then next.

Yes, strange he'd rather play Chester with a bad knee who is not exactly playing well than risk Hause. Probably protecting Hause from the wrath of the faithful

I don't know if you saw Hause play at Wigan when he came on , but from that 20 mins or so he looked as if he was wearing the same 50 pence shaped boots as Bolasie.

I really do wish they'd do what they are good at and not stand either side of the box at every goal kick. I get every club id trying this Man city nonsense but you really need footballers to play from the back.

We only have one midfielder who can bring the ball out let alone a defender .
Teams trying to copy the very best has been proven time and again to be a fallacy. When I was coaching in the US, the number of times I would hear fellow/opposing coaches talk about "playing the Barcelona style" was insane. I would laugh privately.... Try playing "the Barcelona way" with players who don't have the skill. We aint got Xavi and Iniesta, we've got Whelan and Hourihane!
I'm not saying you can't play attacking football or that everyone has to set up like Pulis or Warnock, but it's horses for courses in football. A centre back's primary job is to defend, not try to attempt what Masherano and Busquets did for Barcelona or what Stones does for Man City, especially when they're clearly not capable of it. Petr Cech just announced his retirement because he can't get into an Arsenal team who want to play out from the GK. So what hope do Chester and Elphick have?

Think Hause is one for the future, in that it'll be a number of matches before he's good enough to start. It's one attempt to move on from ageing, slow and limited CBs. It may or may not work, but worth a shot. In due course.

Think Hause is one for the future, in that it'll be a number of matches before he's good enough to start. It's one attempt to move on from ageing, slow and limited CBs. It may or may not work, but worth a shot. In due course.
Smith said he was working well in training. Ipswich in theory would be a good game for him to get up to match speed, and to look at a new midfield.

Smith said he was working well in training. Ipswich in theory would be a good game for him to get up to match speed, and to look at a new midfield.

Ipswich is an ideal match for all our players to get up to speed.

Given the Lambo factor, if Hause made a hash of things he might not be forgiven.

Its frightening how many goals we have given away with long cross field balls either over or on top of our centre backs. It should be bread and butter for decent defenders. Their chronic lack of pace does not help. Axel excluded.