Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm | Page 9 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm

Too many weak links today, probably too many to go through each of them. One player I will mention though is Bolasie - what a lazy, selfish waste of space. Time to drop him to the bench and use him as an impact player.

I would play JK left and El Ghazi right next even though Green was bright when he came on. I thought we were shading it in the first half till giving the first goal away. We seemed to be pressing higher and with more energy. Hull are a slightly above average championship side. A bit like us without Jack.

I've just seen Bjarnason had a pass accuracy of 55% during the game which for a midfield player you are supposed to be relying on is shocking.

If Hourihane didn't keep on passing sideways for safety in an attempt to keep the crowd off his back I bet he wouldn't be far behind.
Everyone slags Hourihane off, and yes he was poor in the second half, but anyone watching that game must surely realise he is far better than Bjarnasson? 55% pass accuracy, no tackles won, 4 fouls conceded, no shots on target.. it sums him up, he is a poor player

FYI Hourihane had 82% accuracy and completed more passes than anyone else and got an assist- I am not saying he played well but he is far from being our worst player

Awful first half and they just about get some credit for the seconds half but they had to do that because they were so awful first half. So not that impressive is it.

I would have done all 3 subs at half time . This lot need a few home truths and they got some from us in the Holte.

Mcginn carried that team today. And credit Tammy and the subs. The rest were a disgrace to the shirt first half. Can't wait for Smith to clear out and get his own in.

Everyone slags Hourihane off, and yes he was poor in the second half, but anyone watching that game must surely realise he is far better than Bjarnasson? 55% pass accuracy, no tackles won, 4 fouls conceded, no shots on target.. it sums him up, he is a poor player

FYI Hourihane had 82% accuracy and completed more passes than anyone else and got an assist- I am not saying he played well but he is far from being our worst player

Sorry, he was abysmal today.

Watching DS interview and comments after the game, he looks like he’s had enough with some. Commenting on throwing hands up and stopping instead of working hard together as a team. If he can’t sort this bunch out, just get rid.

No midweek match again and Jack nearing fitness. Hopefully fit enough for the bench with bottom side Ipswich in town next week.

Hourihane is getting worse he only ever gets on the ball when it stops and he can take a free kick or a corner or a kick off, The bloke is a con artist, never shows for the ball and yes he got his "assist" to "prove" he is' better than McGinn. He runs Taylor a close as our worst player, pity the ref didn't send him and their bloke off for their handbags in the first half.
As for his passing, I challenge anyone to name a pass of any note he's ever done since he signed for us?

I was saying to a mate how Bowen would easily bag a goal today, player of the month & playing against terrible full backs wish I had a tenner on it.

Watching DS interview and comments after the game, he looks like he’s had enough with some. Commenting on throwing hands up and stopping instead of working hard together as a team. If he can’t sort this bunch out, just get rid.

No midweek match again and Jack nearing fitness. Hopefully fit enough for the bench with bottom side Ipswich in town next week.

I take he means my mate Hourihane as throwing his arms up like a big fanny is all he seems to do

Hourihane is getting worse he only ever gets on the ball when it stops and he can take a free kick or a corner or a kick off, The bloke is a con artist, never shows for the ball and yes he got his "assist" to "prove" he is' better than McGinn. He runs Taylor a close as our worst player, pity the ref didn't send him and their bloke off for their handbags in the first half.
As for his passing, I challenge anyone to name a pass of any note he's ever done since he signed for us?
Hourihane another player that moves to Villa for the ££££. Average player that could maybe be ok as a squad player or coming off the bench.

And I can tell you who he was referencing about throwing their arms up. Definitely Mr Stats and probably Barney and Adomah.

Last edited:
Barney came in to the club as a headless chicken with bundles of energy who wasn't really given a chance to show what he can do.

I wanted him to be given a chance - he's finally got it, but he can't do the job.

He doesn't use his energy in the right way, which is a massive shame. Technically, he's ok and his engine is good. But he has no footballing brain and it's almost like watching a child play sometimes with him.

I always considered Hourihane a player who might get us out of this league on the pitch but when we get to the prem is a squad player (i.e. on the bench). He's become a squad player in this league.

Axel was marmite on here before he was injured, hopefully it’s put to bed actually who vital he is to our defence - our only leader at the back.

We were shipping plenty when he wasn't injured for a while - we had one of the worst defences then and still do now.
It seems he's getting 'better' every week he's sat on his arse.

So much to sort out you'd think we'd be making progress all over the pitch by now instead of leaping to our old excuses of just needs his own players/ transfer windows etc etc

Oh well maybe we'll throw Whelan in next time as we shuffle the turds around.
Be truly f*cked if anyone comes in for McGinn

I would play JK left and El Ghazi right next even though Green was bright when he came on. I thought we were shading it in the first half till giving the first goal away. We seemed to be pressing higher and with more energy. Hull are a slightly above average championship side. A bit like us without Jack.
Agree with this - when is Jack back?

We were shipping plenty when he wasn't injured for a while - we had one of the worst defences then and still do now.

So much to sort out you'd think we'd be making progress all over the pitch by now instead of leaping to our old excuses of just needs his own players/ transfer windows etc etc

Axel played in the Forest game which was big I can't argue that. Since then, Leeds, Wigan & Swansea have put three past us which he didn't play in over the past few weeks. Axel has played in two games from what I can see where we've conceded 3 or more (Sheff Utd & Preston).

Of the 21 games he's played, we've kept 5 clean sheet.

I'm throwing stats about just to slightly prove he's better than Elphick & Chester, but actually I think what he adds is his ability to clean up behind the likes of Taylor & Hutton (even Chester) with his pace - which Elphick and Chester can't do due to a lack of pace - and also his ability as a footballer as when he does venture forward a bit he can sometimes find a pass.

You are right about SJM.....Quality.....always gives 100%.

Yeah funny how these stats keeping coming up. What , was there no one else that could have crossed a routine free kick in for Chester?. Don't think so.

This stats thing is utter horse shit. He did not play a meaningful pass that opened their defence all game. Tell me If I'm wrong with that. Neither did Barney.

People talk about Hourihane and his stats like we need that sort of player . Well I watched Derby the other night, Norwich last night and and neither had this Hourihane stats safety first sideways player. They had mobile , quick, pass and move forward playing midfielders. I bet Smith is desperate for one aswell to go with Mcginn.