Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm | Page 10 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm

SJM will be off to either a premiership side where he can further his career or to Celtic where he can put in 10% of the effort and win 55 trophies in two seasons.

First half was abysmal. NO excuse for professional players to be that bad.

I guess, points wise, the club can't write off getting to the play offs. If we were at that stage where they could though, I would ditch the players DS wants to clear out in the summer and bring forward some of the youngsters.

If they are worse than this lot, then ........ ouch.

Easier said than done though, we could obviously spiral down towards the relegation zone.

At least we showed some character 2nd half and fought back.

We have some terrible players just picking up their wages and coasting, thought they would be good enough but they aren't. It is what it is. A few have deserved a chance because they look good when they come on as subs (Bjarnason and Bollasie) but are very poor when they start.

Taylor, sadly, isn't the grade.

I guess I could go on and on, it's just now plain to see, no matter how good we thought they looked on paper, how well they are paid etc, they are simply not good enough to properly compete.

Just got home, what a load of garbage again. Without repeating what has been said already -
Green looked good when on.
McGinn had a great game .
The rest were rubbish.
Hull goal 1 - woeful defending and goalkeeper yet again at fault , the shot went through him .
Hull goal 2 - woeful defending, keeper no chance
Villa goal 1 - great delivery Hourihane
Villa goal 2 - Tammy does the only thing he can which is score. Bar scoring he offers very little as a team player. This may sound odd but I think he's part of the problem and not the solution

Said it before and I'll say it again. McGinn is the answer to our holding midfielder role that Whelan, Thor et al have been playing. Energetic, great in the tackle and can pass a ball well but not well enough to be a creative midfield player. Sack of Hourihane etc and bring another creative midfielder in to partner Jack.

Said it before and I'll say it again. McGinn is the answer to our holding midfielder role that Whelan, Thor et al have been playing. Energetic, great in the tackle and can pass a ball well but not well enough to be a creative midfield player. Sack of Hourihane etc and bring another creative midfielder in to partner Jack.

Spot on mate, I see him sitting in the holding role robbing the opposition then bursting forwards, obviously, Jack will start when fit, just need to find another midfielder as good as John or Jack to fill the 3rd role

After being at Wigan last week I didn't for one minute think we'd witness anything so inept this week! Unfortunately a reasonable first ten minutes the remainder of the first half was just as abysmal. No tempo, a lack of real desire from many and defending like a pub team. Second half was much more like it but why wait for 45 mins and no doubt a half time bollocking before putting a shift in. McGinn, if only we had a team in his mould, 100% effort, never hides, always trying to exert some influence on the game, bloody brilliant, love the bloke to bits already! Compare him to Bjarnason....sorry, just not good enough. At least Hourihane has some effect in the game albeit from set pieces but of course that alone isn't enough. The combination of him and Barney just doesn't work. Backwards, sideways, rarely forwards and a tackle or two would be useful now and then....Reading through the thread I see Smith is getting some stick from one or two suggesting he'll soon be on his way. I'll say it again, no more of this bloody merry go round, he's got to to be given time to get his own men in and fully stamp his mark on the squad. Yes we're all frustrated but ffs, talk of him 'bringing nothing to the party' is just embarrassing when he's been here three months.

Interesting Hogan not even on the bench today, hopefully he's going back to Brentford with sawyers coming here .

Interesting Hogan not even on the bench today, hopefully he's going back to Brentford with sawyers coming here .

It’s no exaggeration to say that DS will have a very short lived career managing his boyhood club if he keeps trying to resurrect Hogan’s career here.

Unfortunately SJM is compensating for not only one poor player around him, but two. We have 4-5 sub standard players per game on that pitch, you can't do it.

In DS I trust, and by trust at this moment in time I hope he's testing people out before the summer clear out.

I have absolutely no doubt he is. However some of the dross is on big money and will take some shifting. He appears to have lost patience with Hogan and he will not be the last by a long way. I like Albert but he needs to play on the left if he plays at all. I would not be surprised if he is on Smiths " hit list" though?

Listened to a soundbite of "He Who Walks on Water" interview that is on WM tomorrow (I think). He said that at 15 he arrived at Villa and they took the players to Barr Beacon and made them run up and down it all day and then did it again and again. Dean Smith should have this bunch doing that tomorrow morning at 7:00am.
If those lacking in technical ability can make up for it with energy and effort then we will at least see them trying. In this league you need to be closing down when the opposition have the ball and moving forward quickly when you have the ball. Being Fancy Dan's and strolling around is for the greed league and standing around waving arms is not going to get you anywhere - play to the whistle and close them down FFS.
Yes we miss Jack and his ball skills but teams like Hull and Wigan don't have ball players, but they do have very fit triers and if it works for them, it can work for us too.
Perhaps if we had more grafters, then Jack doesn't become the focus and he won't get kicked up in the air as often.
See you in Great Barr in the morning Deano???

First half was abysmal. NO excuse for professional players to be that bad.

I guess, points wise, the club can't write off getting to the play offs. If we were at that stage where they could though, I would ditch the players DS wants to clear out in the summer and bring forward some of the youngsters.

If they are worse than this lot, then ........ ouch.

Easier said than done though, we could obviously spiral down towards the relegation zone.

At least we showed some character 2nd half and fought back.

We have some terrible players just picking up their wages and coasting, thought they would be good enough but they aren't. It is what it is. A few have deserved a chance because they look good when they come on as subs (Bjarnason and Bollasie) but are very poor when they start.

Taylor, sadly, isn't the grade.

I guess I could go on and on, it's just now plain to see, no matter how good we thought they looked on paper, how well they are paid etc, they are simply not good enough to properly compete.
Hourihane another player that moves to Villa for the ££££. Average player that could maybe be ok as a squad player or coming off the bench.
hes dogshit , Westwood with a good pass now and again at best

I really don't know where to start and what to say.....

First, I will try and pick out the good bits

McGinn, Tammy were a credit to themselves today - their workrate and commitment to the cause was second gto none - I will also speak about Tammy in the bad bits

The bad - where do you start, that was one of the worst 45 minutes of football I can remember, and have we had some crap over the last few years. Bar the two above, the other 9 looked totally devoid of anything - skill, composure, confidence, hunger just nowt. Then 2nd half he pushe d Bennie further forward and we looked a team. Benny missed another sitter, we scored, it seemed to me Bennie then headed one off the line for them, it was only a matter of time before we got the winner - they just resorted to whack the ball out of play at the first opportunity.

So what does Smith do - takes bloody Bjarnsson off, and we totally lose momentum, another niaive decision of "stick all the forwards on" - after that sub, the game became a scrappy affair and they had as many chances, if not more, than we did.

I feel today you saw the exact issue at the Villa - it is not missing Tuanzabe, it is not missing Grealish - it is missing leaders - have a look at Hull's second goal. Have a look what happens afterwrads. All 11 players just stand there looking at the floor, eventually turning, and all walk back to the centre circle not even looking at each other, never mind an inquest.

As we reached the centre circle, it took a 20yr kid on loan from Chelsea to start shouting at the others.

Where the feck is the leadership ? - where is the responsibilty > - there is none.

In short, I suppose a 2-2 when you are 2-0 down is a blessing, but being blessed with getting a draw against Hull City at home, and being 13th in the Champiosnhip is not my idea of a successful side.

Utterly dreadful 45 mins
Good 25 mins
Dsjointed 20 mins

Motm - McGinn - again

SMith - worrying - yes I will give him time, but ONLY if I can see us build for the future (this season is gone) - Green, OHare, Davis and maybe one or two others deserve a chance - Bolassie and a few others have had theirs and failed.

Just got home, what a load of garbage again. Without repeating what has been said already -
Green looked good when on.
McGinn had a great game .
The rest were rubbish.
Hull goal 1 - woeful defending and goalkeeper yet again at fault , the shot went through him .
Hull goal 2 - woeful defending, keeper no chance
Villa goal 1 - great delivery Hourihane
Villa goal 2 - Tammy does the only thing he can which is score. Bar scoring he offers very little as a team player. This may sound odd but I think he's part of the problem and not the solution

16 goals with18 games still to play Silhill......he is by no means the finished article but without him this season where would we be? A lot lower than 13th me thinks! If he wasn't scoring your point might be more valid but don't think you can suggest a guy with so many goals to his name is a problem.....conceding 45 goals in 28 games is!