Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm

If Bree or Taylor or Elphick or Whelan or Bjanrnasson or Adomah or El Ghazi play then we will lose.

So we will lose.

Maybe on Saturday but in general Bolasie for me looks more keen, interested and dangerous more of the time.

El Ghazi as we have seen is capable of a moment of magic, but the rest of the time seems to be a complete passenger.

He was better than Bolasie last Saturday and on that basis (not ideal I know) I would play him .

I wonder how far away Super Jack is now , he was back running last week if I remember rightly.

A test. Can the lads get back to playing a consistent intense pressing game? With Hull the form team this isn't ideal. Hugely important we win it. Can't begin to guess how DS will approach it.

I think that the approach to getting back to winning ways has already been explored. DS and JT will have told them in no uncertain terms yesterday just how bad they were and no repeat will be tolerated.
Just play with tempo, purpose and passion and Hull City (or anyone for that matter) cannot live with us. Yes, we are missing Jack but sulking and using it as an excuse is not acceptable at all.
At least 3 goals, a clean sheet and a restatement of purpose is what is required
UTV
VTID
HEITS

I'm expecting a big reaction from the players and management, however I'm finding it difficult to second guess what team will turn up.
I think we will come out of the blocks fast, go a goal or 2 up , then after about 30 mins the pendulum will begin to swing, we will get leggy, drop deeper and deeper and unltimately this will be a tough game against a team on a great run and high on confidence.
Elphick should have some inside info / intel which could help how we set up.

Maybe on Saturday but in general Bolasie for me looks more keen, interested and dangerous more of the time.

El Ghazi as we have seen is capable of a moment of magic, but the rest of the time seems to be a complete passenger.
Problem with our on-loan wide players is that they are not smart/hard-working enough to play on both sides of the ball. They leave our full-backs exposed constantly. And none of our full-backs is good enough when faced with 1v1, 2v1 situations. In theory the centre-back will step out to provide cover as a central midfielder drops into the space vacated. However, that doesn't happen.
Snodgrass and Adomah were proper wide players last season because they worked back when needed. It may be a tactical/attacking thing from Smith, that he wants them staying high to win the ball back with pressing, but they don't do that very well either.... :arrghh::arrghh:
Scouting report on Villa: Bypass the wingers and create 2v1s against the fullbacks.

DS and JT will have told them in no uncertain terms yesterday just how bad they were and no repeat will be tolerated.
Therein lies the problem. It's one thing them saying they won't tolerate a repeat, but what's the consequence if they don't perform? Drop them for substandard players or youth players who aren't ready? Give them a bollocking? Modern players don't care. Deal with the bollocking, sit through a film session, then get in your mercedes and go home with your stupidly high paycheck. In the old days, a manager could bring in the team and have them run hills or wind-sprints for two hours - he had the power to do that. Now it's called bullying or abuse. When I played, I knew the consequences of lack-of-effort and I never wanted to go to training the day after a loss. These players couldn't care less.
Until there is accountability from within this team, we will be a soft touch.

I'm expecting a big reaction from the players and management, however I'm finding it difficult to second guess what team will turn up.
I think we will come out of the blocks fast, go a goal or 2 up , then after about 30 mins the pendulum will begin to swing, we will get leggy, drop deeper and deeper and unltimately this will be a tough game against a team on a great run and high on confidence.
Elphick should have some inside info / intel which could help how we set up.
After being unceremoniously substituted with no good reason last week, I'd expect Elphick will be giving :Fingers: and fake news to DS...

I'm not sure what I think any more a month ago I was looking forward to the run in now I don't know if the last 2 weeks is going to be the norm.
Without Jack, we are going to struggle unless we find two players to play alongside SJM.
If Taylor plays we will lose, a shocking player but the midfield is a real problem .
We do have a chance if we can get Abraham a few chances but I don't see how that will happen