Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 93 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I bet this has been here before - 1977 League Cup 2nd Replay - but I just needed to watch that great night. I wasn't there but watched the game with my dad and uncle on the TV that night.
Wonderful.

Brother went but I was deemed to be too young and had school the next morning apparently....as if that should have mattered!! So I had to settle for listening to Radio Birmingham as it was called in those days...what an atmosphere...the noise of the Villa fans watching that gave me goosebumps....absolutely brilliant! And that strike by Chris Nicholl when the Cup seemed to be slipping away...the days when the League Cup really mattered! Magic memories. Thanks for posting Gillette.

The shot of Brian Little must surely the scissor kick Bristol City away or maybe Bolton I know I was there think it was Bristol.

Ashton Gate 03Sept1977 - I was there and indeed this is a truly great picture of he who walked on water but got totally ignored by the establishment. Terry Weir - God I used to envy him. Brain Little - well he was just God.
1602795330163.png

Last edited:
Terry Weir was the photographer.
I was at all 3 games [bring back replays I say]. Wembley was a turgid affair and involved way too much drinking so probably just as well. Hillsborough - what can you say, the atmosphere, massive crowd of 'around' 55,000, so many Villa and the team [Budgie, Gidman, Nicholl, Phillips, Robson, Cowans, Mortimer, Deehan, Gray, Little, Carrodus]. What a collection of 'names' eh? The pitch was crap and it all kicked off in the last 10 mins of normal time. Extra time resolved nothing. I seem to remember some tannoy announcement about nobody knew what was going to happen now!!!
Then there was Old Trafford, a month later - [bring back second replays I say] - it's all been said and shown before but any excuse to relive that evening will do me.
When Chris Nichol equalised with his unforgettable long range thunderbolt with 10 minutes left, it was pandemonium, almost impossible to stay upright, the bloke next to me couldn't find his glasses, then in almost the next minute Sir Brian scored again [yes I did see it] and oh my God, pure ecstasy. They of course equalised at the death of normal time. Extra time and with the prospect of penalties looming [bring on third replays I say] - the mercurial Brian Little sneaked in to score the winner with almost no time left. That night has never left me and never will, it was simply unbelievable and left an intensely euphoric feeling which I still draw on to this day.
At the risk of repetition -

I bet this has been here before - 1977 League Cup 2nd Replay - but I just needed to watch that great night. I wasn't there but watched the game with my dad and uncle on the TV that night.
Wonderful.

I went to all three finals against Everton. The games got progressively better. Wembley was quite flat as an occasion but this night was jumping. They certainly didn't believe in settling it by pens in those days.

Thought I'd see if I could find highlights of my first trip to VP and they exist!

Not as vintage as some of you lot, but some cracking goals in this match! My memory did lie to me though, was convinced for years that Staunton scored directly from a corner.

Villa - QPR 94

You couldnt fail to become addicted after seeing that as your first game mate.
Loved that team, and my favourite all time manager Big Ron.

TH what great photos, boy do they take me back a few years!
For those old enough to remember the "knees up mother brown" song, did Barbara actually exist of was it just a name to fit the sound, I have always wondered?
I always wondered about Barbara as well, she must have been quite a girl.

I mainly used Stockland Green and Flights coaches. I used to love sharing stories with Glensider (Kevin) on here with some of the exploits we got up to!

I still find it difficult to think Kev is no longer with us but he'd want us to move on so I have.

Rest In Peace Kevin me old mate.
Never forgot when Flights changed the departure time after we had got off at Norwich, got back to the coach park just in time to see the bloody thing drive off.
Got home three o clock Sunday afternoon.

December 1977.
My mom cleaned a pub in Brum and the Landlord knew Leighton Phillips - he used to live with them. They had a Xmas party and my mom/dad were invited. A lot of Villa players went to the party after the game on Saturday. One of them (Alex Cropley?) was on crutches as he broke his leg that day.

My dad got Andy Gray's signature on a paper plate (which was soon to be worth 1.5M when he was sold). And he also got this programme signed by...Gordon Smith, Alex Cropley, John Gidman and Andy Gray.
View attachment 42753
As a matter of interest do you know what pub it was.

Brother went but I was deemed to be too young and had school the next morning apparently....as if that should have mattered!! So I had to settle for listening to Radio Birmingham as it was called in those days...what an atmosphere...the noise of the Villa fans watching that gave me goosebumps....absolutely brilliant! And that strike by Chris Nicholl when the Cup seemed to be slipping away...the days when the League Cup really mattered! Magic memories. Thanks for posting Gillette.

If I'm honest the 77 win sticks more than the Euro Cup.
What a team we had then.....