Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 92 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

TH what great photos, boy do they take me back a few years!
For those old enough to remember the "knees up mother brown" song, did Barbara actually exist of was it just a name to fit the sound, I have always wondered?

I did hear stories about "Barbara" that she, shall we say, entertained a certain few Holte Enders on the away day train specials but I never personally meet or saw her.

I was just 16 years old in 1970 so maybe that was a good thing but I did hope I'd bump into to her!

Just for those who haven't a clue what we are talking about here is the song we used to sing whilst jumping up and down which the coppers hated us doing because it caused a sort of surge and with people moving forward.

Then that would lead to songs about how we all hate coppers etc! ......Believe me, they used to put some right bastard coppers up the back of the Holte so no love was lost.

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown
Under the table, you must go
Ee-aye, Ee-aye, Ee-aye-oh
If I catch you bending
I'll saw your legs right off
Come on Barbara,
Come on Barbara, get your knickers off!

Oh my, what a rotten song
What a rotten song
What a rotten song
And what a rotten singer
Too-ooh-ooh

Last edited:
I did hear stories about "Barbara" that she, shall we say, entertained a certain few Holte Enders on the away day train specials but I never personally meet or saw her.

I was just 16 years old in 1970 so maybe that was a good thing but I did hope I'd bump into to her!

Ahhh...... I was wondering why I never heard anything about "Barbara"..... I rarely travelled by train. I used The Travellers Club.

Ahhh...... I was wondering why I never heard anything about "Barbara"..... I rarely travelled by train. I used The Travellers Club.

I mainly used Stockland Green and Flights coaches. I used to love sharing stories with Glensider (Kevin) on here with some of the exploits we got up to!

I still find it difficult to think Kev is no longer with us but he'd want us to move on so I have.

Rest In Peace Kevin me old mate.

Just for those who haven't a clue what we are talking about here is the song we used to sing whilst jumping up and down which the coppers hated us doing because it caused a sort of surge and with people moving forward.

Then that would lead to songs about how we all hate coppers etc! ......Believe me, they used to put some right bastard coppers up the back of the Holte so no love was lost.

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown
Under the table, you must go
Ee-aye, Ee-aye, Ee-aye-oh
If I catch you bending
I'll saw your legs right off
Come on Barbara,
Come on Barbara, get your knickers off!

What a rotten song
What a rotten song
And what a rotten singer
Too-ooh-ooh

Yes they did the whole Mother Brown thing on my first foray up there. Used to knee the person in front of you in the back of the leg which is why I said it wasn't for the faint hearted up there.

I mainly used Stockland Green and Flights coaches. I used to love sharing stories with Glensider (Kevin) on here with some of the exploits we got up to!

I still find it difficult to think Kev is no longer with us but he'd want us to move on so I have.

Rest In Peace Kevin me old mate.

Yes. I know others have passed on but Kevin left a huge chasm on VV to me.

December 1977.
My mom cleaned a pub in Brum and the Landlord knew Leighton Phillips - he used to live with them. They had a Xmas party and my mom/dad were invited. A lot of Villa players went to the party after the game on Saturday. One of them (Alex Cropley?) was on crutches as he broke his leg that day.

My dad got Andy Gray's signature on a paper plate (which was soon to be worth 1.5M when he was sold). And he also got this programme signed by...Gordon Smith, Alex Cropley, John Gidman and Andy Gray.
3.jpg

Last edited:
I bet this has been here before - 1977 League Cup 2nd Replay - but I just needed to watch that great night. I wasn't there but watched the game with my dad and uncle on the TV that night.
Wonderful.

Brilliant night. Went to all three games.
The Wembley game was bloody aweful, but that made up for it.
Funny the things you notice, the old Villa photographer running on at the end to congratulate Sir Brian.