Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 91 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I was there amongst the 'reported' 48,110. The noise was deafening, mesmerising, enchanting. The Trinity floorboards at their best. If you weren't there, then it is unimaginable. When George Curtis was preparing to take that freekick the incredible noise built up to a crescendo. When A.L Lochhead scored from it, the skies parted. Never to be forgotten. BBC did a documentary on that match, wish it was available ['Contact' I think]. Nine days later Pele came to town, a reported 54,000 attendance [yeah and the rest] - never mind no room to get your hands out of your pockets, my feet never touched the ground for ages in the monstrous queues in Trinity Rd trying to get in the Holte. I got in, despite the best efforts of the Police horses, many thousands didn't.
All been said before years ago but worth repeating.
Yes what a night that was. I was in the Holte End, my brother fainted and St Johns Ambulance had to sort him out.

I was 8 . Just a magical experience to be there. My Mom and Dad let me stay up to watch it again on MOTD as well.

I was 16 at the time and was at both the Bournemouth and Santos games standing to the left of the middle of the Holte, my spiritual home for more than half a century now. Agree with all, the noise and atmosphere of that Bournemouth game will be never repeated. It was an explosion of relief and belief in the resurrection of our great club after all the years of mismanagement, lack of ambition and under funding. To have been around from the mid60's till now has been such a privilege albeit a rollercoaster of events and emotions......long may it continue VTID

Yes, I was at Villa V Wrexham both home and away and of course the Villa Park game against Bournemouth in February 1972.

Standing on the Holte that day was unbelievable, but never in a million years did I imagine that 3 years later I would be moving to Bournemouth to live for the next 34 years where I would get married and have 2 children born at Poole hospital.

Talking of which............Up the Poole Pirates Speedway my second love in sport:wahey:

Yes, I was at Villa V Wrexham both home and away and of course the Villa Park game against Bournemouth in February 1972.

Standing on the Holte that day was unbelievable, but never in a million years did I imagine that 3 years later I would be moving to Bournemouth to live for the next 34 years where I would get married and have 2 children born at Poole hospital.

Talking of which............Up the Poole Pirates Speedway my second love in sport:wahey:
CHTID

Yep half a crown for boys and 6d for a Programme, I've got some programmes that were 6d so I think they doubled it to 5p as part of the decimalisation scam, saying all that Fish and chips were half a crown back then now they are £7
Apologies to those under 60 who probably have no idea what half a crown was

I remember as an 8-10 year old paying sixpence (2 &1/2p) to watch the reserves match. If you had no money you could get in for free at half time. 1964-66

I remember Villa v Northampton in the League Cup in 1970, it was October. I was outside the ground before kickoff but didn't quite have the funds to get in due to an unfortunate meeting at a certain railway station. I remember being outside The Holte in Witton Lane, somehow I got in. Another world ... and we won 3-0

This really is a trip down memory lane with memories of great friends and sometimes foes who dared to enter the sacred ground commonly known as the Holte End:utv::utv::utv:

View attachment 42549

I remember the first game I went to on my own I would have been about 14 and I think my Dad was ill or something but he told me not to stand at the back . Needless to say it was exactly where my cousin and I went . It wasn't for the faint hearted.