Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 94 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Ah the Bagot. Your Mom could have picked a smaller pub to clean. Not a boozer I was very familiar with.
The Red Lion in Erdington was one of my old stamping grounds.
Bit of a rough hole, but a crackin pub.

She actually cleaned the upstairs where the landlord lived rather than the pub itself.

If I'm honest the 77 win sticks more than the Euro Cup.
What a team we had then.....
The 76-77 team were by far the most exciting team in all my time, especially at home. If only a couple more away days had produced a win and we hadn't lost that one home game [to the noses as well] the Championship would have been ours. Great memories though.

I went to all three finals against Everton. The games got progressively better. Wembley was quite flat as an occasion but this night was jumping. They certainly didn't believe in settling it by pens in those days.

Yeah, so did I and my then girlfriend. I remember joining in the singing taking the piss out of Everton......

Pass the ball back pass the ball back pass the ball back Everton,
Pass the ball back pass the ball back pass the ball back Everton

To the tune of Clementine.

I love the F***ging Villa.

If only we'd had current technology from when I started in '67 [or of course even before]. Just imagine being able to relive all those days on your chosen device in high res. I relive them in my mind, thanks in no small part to this thread and indeed they are vivid memories.

But imagine being able to show subsequent generations what is was truly like say from the depths of the late 60's.

The transformation experienced of being in the top of the Holte when circa 12,000 to 14,000 was the normal attendance in autumn '68 to the monstrous crowd of say Boxing Day '68 vs Cardiff when >41,000 were there and 'Barry, Barry, Barry, Barry Hole - he's there, he's there, he's everywhere f**king where is Barry Hole' scored.

Then move on 4 weeks to the 29 Jan 1969 and the truly staggering attendance of [haha] just under 60,000 for the FA Cup 4'th round replay vs Southampton. Imagine posting footage of 10 young teenagers rammed into a car and being driven to the game, who knows how I/We got back. I remember the stairs down from the top of the Holte after the game - wow.

Imagine posting footage of the New St special trains, the away days in the old third division.

Imagine having HD footage of the scum that kicked my head in on several occasions - now there's a thought.

But we have moved on and now we have empty stadiums and the utter bollocks that is VAR. At least the evidence will be there to see for future generations