Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur FC | Page 22 | Vital Football

Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur FC

A bizarre game. We were woeful in possession and wasteful in front of goal. We are so weak down our spine now.

Hugo looks like he is on speed or something. So weak on corners and crosses these days.

Looks like Toby has lost his jumping skills. He looks a tad heavy for me. When you get older you are not as explosive so he needs to lean down a bit. Will help to jump higher. He had a shocker today.

People slagging off Sanchez are crazy, he was easily our best defender today.

Davies was rusty but you could see how important he will be in the future. He just senses danger and either deals with it himself or orders others to help out.

Aurier is dreadful. Can't stand him.

Dier is a fat bouncer. We need to sell him.

Winks back to being average.

Our front guys were dangerous and retarded at the same time. Just a weird combination of things.

I like the look of Bergwinj. He is carrying a bit of timber though. He was much faster last year.

A very important win. The crazy one, once again comes out on top.....

What did you think of Alli today?

First game in ages where the ref treated us fairly. However last 20 mins he seemed to lose that mood and invented several free kicks for them. Sanchez was our best player. Aurier started clumsily but did most things well. Give me a lucky general (Jose) any day. Lol Celso was a thoroughbred.

With a CL match coming and another PL match soon after, it's all about getting the 3 points whilst rotating.

Job done.

That said, when all our players are fully fit, it's clear we need a new starting RB and a DM as priorities. Also wondering why Sess didn't even make the bench.

With a CL match coming and another PL match soon after, it's all about getting the 3 points whilst rotating.

Job done.

That said, when all our players are fully fit, it's clear we need a new starting RB and a DM as priorities. Also wondering why Sess didn't even make the bench.
I don't expect to see Sees anywhere near the bench, certainly not for the next 2 games. 2 very important games coming up and I wouldn't want a shy trainee amongst the team, with both Berg and Fenandez ready to start and Davies fit, Verts on bench is the right call imo.

Dele must have been doing something right today as he found himself in so many goals scoring positions. That shows that his false number 9 instincts are still working well.

He's not on his game though.

Can you imagine with all the chances created today.... one day a team's gonna come cropper against us and everything hits the back of the net. Can we make that next weekend please!

Like someone said, Harry would've been drooling today, might even have been back in the golden boot race!

I hope Sonny is put through some penalty taking practice. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

Can you imagine with all the chances created today.... one day a team's gonna come cropper against us and everything hits the back of the net. Can we make that next weekend please!

Like someone said, Harry would've been drooling today, might even have been back in the golden boot race!

I hope Sonny is put through some penalty taking practice. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

I was actually surprised Dele missed them to be fair. Felt bad for him as if he nicks a goal or two he could be off and running again.

Leipzig could tear us apart on Wednesday, some seriously poor performances today.

Hugo, Toby, Aurier, Dier, Son, Dele all terrible. Over half the team not at it and we still managed a win though.

Bergwijn and Sanchez the only 2 to play well I thought. Bergwijn is going to be some player for us, what a signing.

Our lack of a proper CF is going to kill us, Son is not a small guy but is such a wimp, getting sick of every out ball coming straight back because he bottles every challenge that he is forced to make, mostly he doesn't even pretend to challenge.

Dele must have been doing something right today as he found himself in so many goals scoring positions. That shows that his false number 9 instincts are still working well.

He's not on his game though.

The only thing Alli did right was finding the space to run into, from then on his rubbish finishing came into play, like the other sub-standard elements of his game over the last 2.5 seasons. Will, we ever see the writing on the wall, he is a pony.

I thought Alli left everything on the pitch today and on another day would have had at least 3 goals....I also thought that we were much better in possession today than we have been for the last few weeks...even Dier was making himself available in more forward positions and being positive plus rightly slagging off Aurier for letting their players into the box during one attack that Dier finished up heading over the bar in the 6 yard area.

Yes our defending at corners in particular was shocking and at times there was a huge gap in MF...goodness knows where the MFs were, plus we had 23 shots with 10 on target but only 3 went in which speaks for itself...lots of opportunities created, few taken.

Having Aurier as the advanced attacking WB is just crazy in my view....he doesn’t have the ability to go past defenders and cross, most of his crosses are just punts to opposition defenders, and usually he has to stop and come inside before losing the ball. Plus he leaves gaps behind him which Toby has to cover, but he doesn’t have the pace anymore to do it.

We were lucky to win in the end but I don’t think we didn’t deserve it

The only thing Alli did right was finding the space to run into, from then on his rubbish finishing came into play, like the other sub-standard elements of his game over the last 2.5 seasons. Will, we ever see the writing on the wall, he is a pony.

The only thing he got right was walking off when subbed, another pathetic non contribution.

We need to be better at doing the basics, before we can start controlling games, being clinical etc. I do not see the improvement under Jose.

I actually agree with you on this one Rich. Our football has not improved one iota under JM.

Our possession has dropped about 15-20% under his stewardship, and all other stats have gone backwards. The concerning stat, given our low possession is our pass numbers, leaving us around 200 passes short per game compared to the Poch era, and the lower pass accuracy. This is resulting in giving the ball away whilst we also struggle with possession.