Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur FC | Page 24 | Vital Football

Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur FC

I think those stats are misleading given the sideways, backwards style of play under Poch.....possession was his watchword...I’m glad we’re not playing like that anymore.

Not advocating we have possession for the sake of it. Under Poch we did bugger all with all the possession we enjoyed.

Possession is critical if you have a plan. We seem to be working harder without possession.
Bottom line is I was drawn to Spurs over 40 years ago due to our wonderful flowing productive football. We have been known for our beautiful style. If you were a neutral looking to support a club, our style today would certainly not attract anyone.

But we seem to be winning... Which we most definitely wasn't doing under the happy clapper...

Ah, the old winning ugly.

I fell in love with Spurs in the 70's due to our beautiful football style. Not the results, not the silverware, but the attractive football from Hoddle, Perryman, Vila, Ardiles, Armstrong etc.

If we play ugly and graft results then I want silverware to make it all worthwhile.

Jose Mourinho and Tottenham set for Champions League place?
Heung-Min Son's late winner against Aston Villa made it three Premier League wins in a row for Tottenham. Adam Bate was at Villa Park to see it and reflects on the team's improving form...
Last Updated: 16/02/20 11:55pm
Heung-Min Son's second goal against Aston Villa was Tottenham's latest winner in over a decade of Premier League football but Jose Mourinho barely took the time to celebrate. Instead, his reaction – racing down the line to ensure defender Jan Vertonghen was ready to replace Steven Bergwijn for the closing seconds of the match - was typical Mourinho.

What is not typical Mourinho is the wide-open football that this Spurs side are playing under him. This 3-2 victory, an end-to-end affair full of entertainment at both ends, was the second in a row won by that scoreline and the fourth in total in his 19 games in charge. An atypical Mourinho score then, but this is an atypical situation for him as a manager.

The Portuguese has had to manage on the fly since his mid-November arrival but somehow it seems to be coming together. Not always convincingly, admittedly, but the Spurs supporters who were celebrating wildly at the end are enjoying the ride. This is now the first time in over a year that Tottenham have won three consecutive Premier League games.

Aston Villa were left bemoaning a VAR decision and a costly mistake by Bjorn Engels deep into stoppage time but Tottenham are entitled to feel the points were deserved. Villa goalkeeper Pepe Reina was arguably the man of the match. Spurs had more shots in this game - 23 - than they'd had in any Premier League away game over the past three seasons.
Mourinho certainly clocked that.
"It was a performance with a fantastic mentality, personality and desire to win," he said afterwards. "I think it is the match since I arrived when we created the most chances. We had so many chances to score and not just the chance that arrives occasionally but the chance that we build and that we really work for. Beautiful football."
Indeed, this was the most shots that Tottenham have had anywhere since facing the same opposition on the opening weekend of the season. They needed two late goals from Harry Kane to see off Villa in that one but the encouragement here came from the fact that Spurs looked so dangerous even without their star striker in the starting line-up.
Coping well without Kane
Son operated more centrally than he has of late and now has six goals in his last five appearances, while Lucas Moura was impressive in a slightly deeper role. The switch of position seemed to suit them both, although Son, in particular, was wasteful in front of goal and could have been left to rue his profligacy had the late chance not come his way.

Heung-Min Son's heatmap for Tottenham against Aston Villa

"The problem with Son and Lucas, especially these two guys, is that they have to play 90 minutes every game," explained Mourinho. "That is the problem with them. If they run out of fuel then we are in trouble. But their quality as players is fantastic and their attitude towards the team is absolutely incredible.

"I am so pleased for them that a team without Harry - the team is obviously finding difficulties - but in the middle of the difficulties we are finding a different way to play football and a different way to create opportunities and to score enough goals to put ourselves in a position fighting for a good position in the table."
Bergwijn, with four shots and three chances created for others at Villa Park, has undoubtedly added pace and purpose to the attack, while Dele Alli could well have scored too as he continues to find space in his favoured position just off the centre-forward. In the positions behind them, Mourinho, finally, seems to have options at his disposal as well.

Lo Celso's class from deep
He was able to turn to Giovani Lo Celso in search of the winner in the final half-an-hour having preferred Eric Dier to the Argentine in an attempt to provide greater protection against the obvious threat of Jack Grealish. The Villa captain found plenty of space in behind Serge Aurier but Lo Celso helped to tilt the game further in Tottenham's favour.
His corner delivery was threatening and might have brought the winner sooner had Lucas headed on target. His distribution was incisive too, one pass to Aurier cutting through Villa's defence and resulting in a Bergwijn shot that was blocked. A clever reverse pass with his right foot then set up Son only for the forward to be denied by the veteran Reina.
Davies strengthens defence
In defence, the return of Ben Davies at left-back helps. The Welshman endured a testing first half but having been out of action since Mourinho's very first game in charge, perhaps that was to be expected. Of more significance is the fact that his presence back in the team could allow his manager to revert to his initial plan for Tottenham's defence.

Jan Vertonghen, Japhet Tanganga and Ryan Sessegnon have all had to show "adaptation" - Mourinho's choice of word - to fill the void but with Danny Rose now gone, Tottenham's only natural left-back is fit once more. That will make a difference.
Tanganga, while solid, did not even attempt a cross in his three starts at left-back. Here, Davies provided Alli with a presentable opportunity inside the penalty box. Moreover, unlike Rose, he is able to tuck inside and make sense of the lopsided back four that Mourinho envisages.

All set for Champions League?
The Spurs boss spoke of having to "manage this chess game without pieces" following the FA Cup win over Southampton last time out but the pieces are now falling back into place. Just as well. The schedule is hectic with RB Leipzig the opponents on Wednesday night before what now looks to be a huge game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
Manchester City's European ban raises the possibility that fifth place will be enough to secure Champions League football at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium next season. And while Mourinho was refusing to get carried away - "if we are six or seven it doesn't matter" - it is clear that he is ready for the challenge. "We have a big fight," he added.
"Sheffield United, Wolves, Manchester United, Everton, Arsenal. Everybody looks to the table and says week after week that they can do it.

"And they can."
They all can. But belief is growing that Tottenham will.

I was buzzing today when the 3rd goal went in but reading through the last few pages of this thread is seriously depressing.

Alderweireld was far from his best today but take into consideration his wife gave birth this week and he travelled 8hrs yesterday and was seriously sleep deprived the last few days yet he still fought for that win (and that strike... hello)

My second point is that there are more than a few on here that think we should be beating most teams out the gate every week. Im sorry but the prem is getting stonger and stronger, apart from liverpool most games each week could be considered a flip of a coin. Sheffield Utd, Leicester and Wolves have been a breath of fresh air this season and long may it continue.

Ive being really impressed with the whole club since Jose came in, yes more evolution is needed but we are on our way and I really see a very sucessful period on the horizon.

Leics, Sheff U & Wolves outplayed us for long stretches of the games against them, we, by contrast, are an error-ridden team from back to front. The last few pages of this thread are the reality of how average we have become.

Fernandes was quality again
Pretty good but he showed his youthful inexperience when he got past a Villa defender after a struggle but, instead of running into empty space towards byline and the goal, he chose to whip in a real lomg disyance cross for near the outside line. Need more games to hopefully upgrade decision making.

With a CL match coming and another PL match soon after, it's all about getting the 3 points whilst rotating.

Job done.

That said, when all our players are fully fit, it's clear we need a new starting RB and a DM as priorities. Also wondering why Sess didn't even make the bench.
I m worries for Sess. He was given starts but hardly impressed or show us his 'pace'. Seen him just passed back instead of making a run. He needs to be confident and make those runs which his supposed pace.

Leics, Sheff U & Wolves outplayed us for long stretches of the games against them, we, by contrast, are an error-ridden team from back to front. The last few pages of this thread are the reality of how average we have become.

I suppose its the beautiful thing about the game we love. Everyone has a different opinion. Each as valid to the next.

I read all the posts on here daily, have done for 8 odd years now and in all that time i hardly post a thing.

We all see the game differently, I grew up in the 80's and started supporting Spurs because of the brand of football they played. 40 years on ive seen us win an FA cup and two League Cups. For me football and sport in general is about glory, its about winning.

We have won 3 in a row, unbeaten in 7, sit 5th in the table with a last 16 Champions League to look forward to on Wednesday.

I personally see the foundations being laid to a sucessful few years ahead and just wanted to post an alternative view to the 'average team we have become' opinions out there because in my view we are anything but average. COYS

I would say the speed we got the ball forward at times was top notch. We just wasted possession too much.

As we had so much pace with Son, Lucas and Bergwinj I thought we looked good going forward.

We are so weak through the middle now. Imo Gedson walks into our CM area. Miles ahead of Winks and Dier.

I am very worried about CB. I really do think we need a monster CB brought in. Unless we start playing Sanchez with Tang and see how that partnership could develop.

Cold light of day.
They could have been out of sight before we got going.
Once we got going our fast attacking play was nice to see.
Also the mix is better as I do not mind a long ball especially with the speed of our front three.
I prefer this style to the sidey tappy possession boring Poch (latter part of his tenure)
It was a superb game for the neutral.
It was painful at times for us spurs fans
Son works hard in a forward sense but he makes poor decisions when his team mates are better placed.
Moura works hard in a forward sense but he makes poor decisions when his team mates are better placed.
Ali gets into great positions but seems so slow to make his mind up so the opportunity is gone.
Alderwereild had to cover all the time for Aurier who is so so poor defensively and a real liability and so was dragged out of position to try to quell the threat of Grealish. No wonder Toby made some mistakes but what a strike on the turn!
Bwin looks to have great potential and I liked the frustration he showed when he thought he would score. He has vision and must rue the greed of his attacking colleagues.
I slagged son off in my posts whilst the match went on cos his greedy nature frustrated me, and the number of times I shouted NOW pass was in vane.
However he was our main threat but his shooting at times could be improved as he directed too many straight at Reindeer.
I am actually happy with how things are shaping up overall and Marmite is slowly but surely getting the Poch possession negative indoctrination out of players systems.
Dier eirther plays at the back or should leave he is no midfielder.
I ike winksey and when he gets Lo Celsoa and NDombele in the middle as well he will grow into our new Perryman
I like the variety we show going forward mixing build up with long ball. I think once Marmite beds in our new recruits and gets rid of Aurier and Dier we will start to see the seeds of a really good team.

Not this season maybe.....

Oh and Sanchez was solid at the back

A bizarre game. We were woeful in possession and wasteful in front of goal. We are so weak down our spine now.

Hugo looks like he is on speed or something. So weak on corners and crosses these days.

Looks like Toby has lost his jumping skills. He looks a tad heavy for me. When you get older you are not as explosive so he needs to lean down a bit. Will help to jump higher. He had a shocker today.

People slagging off Sanchez are crazy, he was easily our best defender today.

Davies was rusty but you could see how important he will be in the future. He just senses danger and either deals with it himself or orders others to help out.

Aurier is dreadful. Can't stand him.

Dier is a fat bouncer. We need to sell him.

Winks back to being average.

Our front guys were dangerous and retarded at the same time. Just a weird combination of things.

I like the look of Bergwinj. He is carrying a bit of timber though. He was much faster last year.

A very important win. The crazy one, once again comes out on top.....
Great assessment RD , particularly regarding Sanchez and Davies .
Some on here putting down Alli but I thought he put in a tremendous shift , but joined the other two in being wasteful in front of goal .
I really really do not understand Son . That man is an enigma ( or enema as Greavsie said) , how can anyone play like an amateur for ninety three minutes and a solid professional for one minute . What was all the “calm down“ signalling all about . ? There was only twenty seconds left ! He also did that prior to one of his corners ten minutes earlier . Something must have been said to him because there were times when he should have shot and he tried to find a pass and there were times when it was easier/ better to pass but he tried a shot, which in essence was a firm pass to their keeper . He just can’t get it right.
Talking of keepers , how is it we miss out on someone like Reina and had to endure months of Gazza !

Ah, the old winning ugly.

I fell in love with Spurs in the 70's due to our beautiful football style. Not the results, not the silverware, but the attractive football from Hoddle, Perryman, Vila, Ardiles, Armstrong etc.

If we play ugly and graft results then I want silverware to make it all worthwhile.
Not Chris Armstrong surely? 🤣🤣

Looks like EX must have been sent to find PJ.

I got back in time for the game! Didn't post after as I was a tad worse for wear...

Pleased to see Jose finally use Son as a no.9.

Dier is getting back to his best.

Toby can't jump anymore (going to keep saying this until everyone agrees why we shouldn't have resigned him lol!)

Grealish ran the game in the first half and will prove me right - he'll get that England call up this year and will shine. I can only pray we get him when Villa go down, although the agents talk is Manure are now in the box seat to get him now.

Lloris has to be replaced in the summer.

Winks is on the improvement curve again, but I'm disturbed that N'Dombele is still considered not to be fit enough to start, as that is the partnership along side LoCo I want to see as our midfield.

Great to see Davies back, even if he limited himself to almost purely defensive duties - he'll be better for getting that game under his belt.

Son, is still woeful in his final ball decision making - but I'm grateful he had a hateful of chances as the law of averages said he had to get one or two of them!

Moura still doesn#t know to cover back, but gave them a hell of a problem going forward.

Aurier....eeeekkk!
Sanchez needs a proper partner.

Bergwin - Solid, not spectacular, but will improve.

Alli, put in a good shift and made some great runs, but when he takes the ball in tight area's, he's struggling.

I suppose its the beautiful thing about the game we love. Everyone has a different opinion. Each as valid to the next.

I read all the posts on here daily, have done for 8 odd years now and in all that time i hardly post a thing.

We all see the game differently, I grew up in the 80's and started supporting Spurs because of the brand of football they played. 40 years on ive seen us win an FA cup and two League Cups. For me football and sport in general is about glory, its about winning.

We have won 3 in a row, unbeaten in 7, sit 5th in the table with a last 16 Champions League to look forward to on Wednesday.

I personally see the foundations being laid to a sucessful few years ahead and just wanted to post an alternative view to the 'average team we have become' opinions out there because in my view we are anything but average. COYS

Got to agree; given how Jose has had to knit two different styles and five different players together, all finding their feet, I'm happy with our progress - I didn't think we had a hope of Top 4 but I'm beginning to believe that somehow the Gods smile on Jose and he just might drag us over that line.

Get everyone firing again and we may well really surprise a few.

I m worries for Sess. He was given starts but hardly impressed or show us his 'pace'. Seen him just passed back instead of making a run. He needs to be confident and make those runs which his supposed pace.

I wouldn't panic or write him off yet; his injury was a bad one; we may still not yet seethe best of him until he's had a full pre-season, has had more tactical training and re-found his confidence, time is on his side but afraid (and we're the worse at it) Spurs fans may have to be patient to understand why we think he's such a great potential Ashley Cole clone....

I hope you post a bit more often, we have many differing views on players, managers and tactics but in the main we all get along and the more the merrier :thumbup: