Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur FC | Page 23 | Vital Football

Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur FC

Can you imagine with all the chances created today.... one day a team's gonna come cropper against us and everything hits the back of the net. Can we make that next weekend please!

Like someone said, Harry would've been drooling today, might even have been back in the golden boot race!

I hope Sonny is put through some penalty taking practice. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

That was one of the worst penalties I have ever seen. Stevie Wonder could see where that was going.

I actually agree with you on this one Rich. Our football has not improved one iota under JM.

Our possession has dropped about 15-20% under his stewardship, and all other stats have gone backwards. The concerning stat, given our low possession is our pass numbers, leaving us around 200 passes short per game compared to the Poch era, and the lower pass accuracy. This is resulting in giving the ball away whilst we also struggle with possession.
But we seem to be winning... Which we most definitely wasn't doing under the happy clapper...

Pros when he wanted to play for us.
Ericsen could pick a pass out and create goalscoring opportunities for sure, so yes he could make us tick and open up defences.
He could score from free kicks from outside of the box.

Cons when he wanted to play for us
He could not head the ball
He was a wimp in the tackle
His corner rarely beat their first man
His covering of the full back behind him left much to be desired.
Mostly never turned up for the big games

Pros whe he wanted out
Best sulker in the team
Best negative impact on the squad

Cons when he wanted out
All of the above.

If that made him the most talented player then I do not hold that view.

Jose - "Toby scored 3 goals today." LOL The OG, his awesome goal, and losing to his man on the corner kick.

I thought this was one of Toby's worst games for Spurs.

Both he and Hugo were pathetic for Villas first goal. Hugo should've commanded control by running toward the ball and making it his own.
This would've prevented Toby, who was facing our goal, from making that horrible contact with the ball.
I must admit, for a defender, his goal for Spurs was very well taken indeed, and many a striker could learn from his technique. I never knew he had it in him TBH.

His rubbish half arsed attempt to defend against the corner and prevent the scorer from doing just that, was horrible.

The thing is, we simply can't afford to have key players performing at such a low embarrassing level, whilst we, collectively, are not controlling possession, not scoring, have no true No. 9, and crap passing, with crap pass accuracy.

Early days, but I'm disappointed we have regressed in this area under Jose.

If the status quo in terms of our playing status under Poch, had remained, and Jose improved on the recruitment, as he's done, and we had purchased on red hot No. 9, cleaned up the place, etc etc, we'd be sitting a lot prettier.

TBH, there was not a lot that needed changing when Jose joined, apart from ridding the place of poison. and recruitment and being a better mentor to the players. I think he's tried to change too many aspects of our core, which were not broken in the first place. The result is terrible scrappy football. We make a hard job of everything we do.

Today in at least 5-6 decent chances we missed. Equally another 5-6 times either Son, Moura or Dele could and should have passed - but didn't. That could have given us another 2,3,4 goals potentially. Dier and Winks didn't work and don't work - hopefully we never see those 2 together again. We don't move enough, far too static, yet when we do move it opens the game and we look so much better. IMO these things are so easy to sort and I hope Jose will start to haul people off when they play for themselves....as Son, Dele & Moura so often do.

The thing is, we simply can't afford to have key players performing at such a low embarrassing level, whilst we, collectively, are not controlling possession, not scoring, have no true No. 9, and crap passing, with crap pass accuracy.

Early days, but I'm disappointed we have regressed in this area under Jose.
Just noting the above two interesting points...

Firstly, imo we've moved away from the backwards, sideways philosophy of Poch, possession for possession sake, wearing out the opposition, boring the fans to death. Poch's philosophy had been ingrained over 5 years amongst the CORE of our team. Not surprising the changes are taking a lot longer to deliver.

I ask myself, would we have created so many chances v Villa under Poch? The front two (whilst not best suited or tuned to the task) are seeing a lot more of the ball. The midfield is being tuned with different personnel and imo, there are some exciting prospects there.

My major concern is the defence. Unless Aurier can contribute and Tanga plays every games, we can hope for better support from the midfield. I think Jose recognises the issues there but it will require more than one TW to fix.

As for we have regressed?.... Not sure, unless I misunderstand the definition of the term. IMO, we have deviated from our philosophy of 5+ years, we are still in contention for top 4 and in 2 cups. I wouldn't call that regression. Poch left us in regression mode and the ship is being steered to safety....and hopefully beyond. I think there's a lot more to come from this group in this revised approach.

Last edited:
‘Really think Grealish would be an asset if we bought him.
I’m disappointed by our performances. I’d hoped that Jose would get us better play much quicker than this. Many teams are getting close to beating us. We’re better than this. Son looked tired today as well.

I actually agree with you on this one Rich. Our football has not improved one iota under JM.

Our possession has dropped about 15-20% under his stewardship, and all other stats have gone backwards. The concerning stat, given our low possession is our pass numbers, leaving us around 200 passes short per game compared to the Poch era, and the lower pass accuracy. This is resulting in giving the ball away whilst we also struggle with possession.
I think those stats are misleading given the sideways, backwards style of play under Poch.....possession was his watchword...I’m glad we’re not playing like that anymore.

Today in at least 5-6 decent chances we missed. Equally another 5-6 times either Son, Moura or Dele could and should have passed - but didn't. That could have given us another 2,3,4 goals potentially. Dier and Winks didn't work and don't work - hopefully we never see those 2 together again. We don't move enough, far too static, yet when we do move it opens the game and we look so much better. IMO these things are so easy to sort and I hope Jose will start to haul people off when they play for themselves....as Son, Dele & Moura so often do.

Exactly!. If we had been clinical and thrashed Villa, we'd be signing Jose's praises. He will have seen all those misses and I am sure (hope!) he'd be working hard to find the solution. I can't see a coach of Jose's pedigree will continue to allow it.

I actually thought we transitioned through the thirds today really well. We didn't revert to just lumping it and mostly passed and carried our way to scoring positions. Jose will be happy with that, if not annoyed with our finishing.

I think my big challenge though is not seeing us win a midfield battle for about 15 months now. The inability to turn defensively into a 5 man shield in front of a back four is worrying especially when Aurier can't be bothered to get back into his RB position. I had assumed that any 11 that Jose puts out would have that quality regardless of ability. That is what his managerial reputation is built on and yet we seem physically weak in there.

I'm now almost thinking that we should instate Tanganga as RB and get Gio, Gedson and Winks working as a three until we see signs of life from Ndombele. That means that one of the front four needs to move to the bench and that can't be Son as he's got 6 in 5.

Another classic example of a goalie standing on his head and single handedly saving his team with a true worldy. Reminded me a bit of Ole Timmy Krull....

Without Reina, this game's 8-0 and the Villians are a laughing stock.

One thing's fer sure, Spurs are fun to watch at the moment!

Another classic example of a goalie standing on his head and single handedly saving his team with a true worldy. Reminded me a bit of Ole Timmy Krull....

Without Reina, this game's 8-0 and the Villians are a laughing stock.

One thing's fer sure, Spurs are fun to watch at the moment!

Sorry mate, it was woeful finishing.

How many wonder saves did he make?

Straight at him or taking too many touches.

I was buzzing today when the 3rd goal went in but reading through the last few pages of this thread is seriously depressing.

Alderweireld was far from his best today but take into consideration his wife gave birth this week and he travelled 8hrs yesterday and was seriously sleep deprived the last few days yet he still fought for that win (and that strike... hello)

My second point is that there are more than a few on here that think we should be beating most teams out the gate every week. Im sorry but the prem is getting stonger and stronger, apart from liverpool most games each week could be considered a flip of a coin. Sheffield Utd, Leicester and Wolves have been a breath of fresh air this season and long may it continue.

Ive being really impressed with the whole club since Jose came in, yes more evolution is needed but we are on our way and I really see a very sucessful period on the horizon.

Just noting the above two interesting points...

Firstly, imo we've moved away from the backwards, sideways philosophy of Poch, possession for possession sake, wearing out the opposition, boring the fans to death. Poch's philosophy had been ingrained over 5 years amongst the CORE of our team. Not surprising the changes are taking a lot longer to deliver.

I ask myself, would we have created so many chances v Villa under Poch? The front two (whilst not best suited or tuned to the task) are seeing a lot more of the ball. The midfield is being tuned with different personnel and imo, there are some exciting prospects there.

My major concern is the defence. Unless Aurier can contribute and Tanga plays every games, we can hope for better support from the midfield. I think Jose recognises the issues there but it will require more than one TW to fix.

As for we have regressed?.... Not sure, unless I misunderstand the definition of the term. IMO, we have deviated from our philosophy of 5+ years, we are still in contention for top 4 and in 2 cups. I wouldn't call that regression. Poch left us in regression mode and the ship is being steered to safety....and hopefully beyond. I think there's a lot more to come from this group in this revised approach.

I was never a fan of Poch's tactics and I for one was in the "Poch out" group.

I'm not one for possession for possessions sake. it's what you do with that possession that counts. Our football, IMO has regressed under JM. If it was hard to watch under Poch, its even worse under Jose.

The good points is that we seem to be creating chances, albeit without anyone to put them away. Son has done OK of late, but we need a marksman to take advantage of our opportunities.

You are right about the defence though. It's been a mess for way too long, Soft goals are making Hugo look bad, but he needs a good back 4 infront of him and Dier is also not helping.