Aston Villa appoint Christian Purslow as their new CEO | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa appoint Christian Purslow as their new CEO

This guy has the perfect opportunity. Bring in who he wants with the owners blessing. He even has a stake in the club, even more a reason to have your own choice.

He is far too smooth and suave for my liking.

I wouldn't trut him as far as I could throw him.
Wow, he hasn't even sat down and organised his desk yet. Was this guy ever a ref Sirdennis?

I think the confidence, bordering on arrogance thing is required at this level of business. If he had been a bumbling fool on tv, I'm sure we would have called him out on that also - can't win can he?

Wow, he hasn't even sat down and organised his desk yet. Was this guy ever a ref Sirdennis?

I think the confidence, bordering on arrogance thing is required at this level of business. If he had been a bumbling fool on tv, I'm sure we would have called him out on that also - can't win can he?

I ahve always thought that "Merd" everytime I have heard or seen him on the telly or the radio I thought he was too smooth for my taste.

Don't get me wrong it doesn't detract from his ability to do the job , its just a comment on his manner more than anything.

I ahve always thought that "Merd" everytime I have heard or seen him on the telly or the radio I thought he was too smooth for my taste.

Don't get me wrong it doesn't detract from his ability to do the job , its just a comment on his manner more than anything.
High profile job Sirdennis, all media savy now. As I said, you don't get to that level by being a shrinking violet.

His appointment tells us a number of things about the new owners. The fact that it is their first major change in staff and the timing of it.

It tells us they are astute businessmen. Their purchase of the Villa is primarily a business investment to them and they are acting to secure as much of the commercial opportunities as they can quickly. Purslows expertise is off the pitch on corporate sponsorship deals, that’s what he did at Chelski to a remarkable degree in 3 years. I welcome his appointment in this regard as he is clearly capable and, with the right steering, can help solve FFP dilemmas and build a huge commercial empire worldwide. I suspect that’s his brief with us and it means the new owners want our club to be a world power in commercial terms in the medium term. That’s a good move.

The timing of this change as the first staff move tells us they have been working on this aspect of the club management since they bought us as these appointments and their accompanying negotiations are not normally concluded quickly. So they are building for the long term and building strongly.

His appointment is also interesting in a second respect; his Liverpool experience. He was given a singular brief in that role and it did not concern the commercial activities of the club. He was given the delicate and difficult-to-achieve task of restructuring the debt position of the club with the RBS bank. This eventually resulted in complex legal battles with Hicks and Gillette which he (alongside his other board members) won. There may be aspects of the current deal with Doctor Xia which mean this experience he has will be brought into play. I’m speculating here of course but the next few years may just need careful handling in terms of ownership stakes and this may have played a part in his selection. In which case I welcome his appointment for this reason as well. I want stability of ownership at the club especially with people who want to build us into a world power. Credibly, not on twitter …

It may also mean that having made this appointment their energies can be turned to other matters of staff appointments, assessing where the club is and where it needs to be. I said it a few weeks ago; Bruce has 10 games to secure his season and he’s 6 into that now.

Not really, he had no experience. He was a commercial manager (not even director) at Arsenal.

Fair enough, maybe I'm just thinking of some of the fanfare when he came in.

Hope this guy is a positive addition, but I fully expect every new appointment to go wrong these days.

Hollis did OK. Xia may not have turned out as we expected and hoped, but Hollis came in to do a job, rescue the club from the shambles it had descended into, and did it well. Apart from being an Arsenal fan he had no football experience.

Don't think Chairmen need to have football experience. They need to be astute enough to do what's needed, including having football experience to hand when necessary.

He has been very quiet since he joined us. I can't make my mind up if that is a good thing or not.

Good. The less we hear from owners and CEO’s the better. It’s been a soap opera over the past few years, even the media shy Randy was releasing too many statements.

Only time I want to hear from them are when we change manager.

Yea, we've been told there will be a FCG meeting sometime soonish but he's getting his feet under the desk first. So agree with danvilla... good thing