2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings | Page 26 | Vital Football

2020/21 Spurs Player Ratings

I've unashamedly taken these straight from the standard, as I could only agree with almost every word:

Here's how we rated the Spurs players...

Hugo Lloris 4
Making only his fifth FA Cup appearance, endured a torrid night. Guilty of a poor mistake for Calvert-Lewin's opening goal, sparking the madness, and gave Richarlison too much to aim at for the Toffees' fourth. Made a terrific save to deny Calvert-Lewin in the first half.

Matt Doherty 5
One of two players who was caught too deep for Bernard's (admittedly brilliant) winning goal. Failed to make an impressive in the final third and crossing was erratic.

Toby Alderweireld 4
Flat footed for Everton's first goal, nutmegged for their second and played his part in an abject defensive display that did little to suggest he is the answer to Spurs' problems at the back.

Davinson Sanchez 5
After scoring once in his first 137 appearances for the club, the Colombian bagged a surprise brace – but his defending was poor. He was hesitant for Everton's first two goals and stepped up disastrously for Richarlison's fourth.

Ben Davies 5
Caught up in the confusion for Everton's first goal and helped to play Bernard onside for their last. Tried to get forward but offered little in the final third.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg 4
Sloppy and uncharacteristic mistake to give the ball away in a dangerous position for Calvert-Lewin's equaliser at 1-1 and gave away the penalty, perhaps unfortunately.

Tanguy Ndombele 6
Bodied by Tom Davies early on and did not look fully himself before limping off before extra-time. Spurs definitely look more vibrant and creative with the ball while he is at the base of the midfield and they went off the boil, in an attacking sense, without him.

Erik Lamela 7
Another encouraging performance, capped with a well-taken goal to drag Spurs back into the game on the stroke of half-time. Had another cleared off the line before Kane's equaliser and made Sanchez's first goal with a corner.
Lucas Moura 7
Should have scored inside a minute but blazed over from inside the six-yard box. Played his part in Spurs' vibrant opening with plenty of direct runs.
Steven Bergwijn 7
Positive and lively, and tested Olsen. But desperately needs a goal to boost his confidence in the final third.
Heung-min Son 8
Forced Olsen into a fine first-half save, from which he probably should have scored, and made goals for Sanchez and Kane. His cross for Kane's goal was inch-perfect.
Substitutes
Harry Kane (Bergwijn 53') 7

Barely had a touch before arriving at the back post to meet Son's cross with a magnificent thumping header to force extra-time. Will look back on a chance he should have scored shortly before Everton's winner.
Dele Alli (Lucas 77') 5
Struggled to get into the game on his much-anticipated return and booked for diving.
Harry Winks (Ndombele 90') 4
Lost the ball in costly fashion for Everton's winning goal. Not the impact he would have wanted.
Moussa Sissoko (Doherty 99) 5
Set up a good chance for Kane in stoppage-time.
Carlos Vinicius (Lamela 98') 5

Last edited:
OK, here goes.....Everton FA Cup

Lloris 4.5 - We're so used to winning these game because of what Lloris gives us, it's hard when he doesn't

Doherty 5 - This guy is struggling in a Spurs shirt.
Sanchez 7 - Our best defender again, but still made a couple of errors
Toby 5 - I'm feeling the left side doesn't suit him. He doesn't look the same player.
Davies 5 - Another whose form is just not good enough at the moment

Hojbjerg 6 - such a Jekyll and Hyde performance. Programmed for 90 mins, struggled beyond.
Ndombele 7 - played well, but needs to love defending as much as he does attacking.

Moura 5.5 - more proof unfortnuately. More useful to the marketing team this week after his Instagram account
Lamela 8 - our best player on the night. Gave us purpose again.
Bergwijn 6 - played OK, but not well enough to convince him to put him on the right when Kane inevitably came on and Son moved to the left

Son 6 - better when he switched to the left and the cross of the season

Subs
Kane 7 - not quite his normal self but did OK
Dele 5.5 - few nice touches, but didn't look ready for as long as he got. Would be better off playing in he U23's right now
Sissoko 5.5 - a bit of energy and power, complete lack of finesse as always and plays like he's a better player than he really is. That often gets us into trouble
Vinicius 6 - did OK, but I'm not seeing a future Spurs player in this guy
Winks 4 - very poor from him

Jose 7.5 - the highest ranking I've given him for ages. He sent the guys out with a new way of playing. Just a shame he hasn't been embedding it for an entire campaign. We'd be in a different place by now.

My ratings v Everton.
Lloris 4, Doherty 5, Toby 5.5, Sanchez 6, Davies 5, Hojbjerg 4, Ndombele 5, Lamela 8, Bergwijn 5.5, Moura 5.5 , Son 7, Kane 6.5, Dele 5, Vinnie 4, Winks 3, Sissoko 5.

Jose 6

Ratings vs Everton

Lloris 4.5, Doherty 5, Alderweireld 6, Sanchez 7, Davies 6, Hojbjerg 7, Ndombele 6, Moura 6.5, Lamela 8, Bergwijn 5, Son 7
Subs Dele 4, Winks 3, Sissoko 5.5, Vinicius 4, Kane 6.5

I said in a recent post that although I'd like to see us sign a quality AM, our biggest needs are a GK, RB and left sided CB. This game simply re-enforced that view.
In recent games Lamela has looked that AM I referred to. Unfortunately we all know that that won't last.
Jose's team selection looked strange with Lamela, Moura and Bergwijn all starting, but it worked quite well. Nothing wrong with the timing of the subs either, but unfortunately three of the substitutes were rubbish.
Winks, Dele and Bale either need to be given extended game time to shake off some of the rust and show that they can perform, or be shipped out. None of them is anywhere near good enough on recent showings.
Whilst he was dangerous to the end, Sonny looked out on his feet at times. He and Hojbjerg need a rest.

v Everton

Lamela 7.5 - Another solid performance imo.

Son - 6.5 - Better performance. Always puts in a better shift when Kane on the pitch.

ND, Hoj - 6.0 - The usual solid pairing, but bother being over played. Disappointing to see Hoj make those mistakes.

Berg - 5.6 - Yet to influence a game, definitely better than Moura and likes to engage with others.

Toby, Sanchez, Davies - 5 - All contributed to the rear guard. Not assessing Sanchez on the goals he scored. About time he made his presence count at the other end.

Doherty - 4.5 - not sure what Jose sees in him. Don't believe it's a confidence thing at his age. It's not as if he's returning from an injury.

Moura - 4.4 - Made up numbers. Poor passing. Lot of running to no where.

Lloris - 4.4 - Another non-commanding performance from the vice-captain. Yet to see him marshalling backline.

Edit:
Jose - 4.5 - He did everything that we all wanted, but not his fault that these international defenders couldn't get their act together.

Kane 6.5 - I wished he'd not fall prey to desperation measures 'cos few shots he attempted with 3 guys surrounding him were embarrassing. He's better than that.

Winks - 3.5 - overrated. Never a better chance to impress than this open game.

Sissoko, 4.0
Vinnie - 4-0
I think 4 will be my lowest score in future. That's the minimum for being available, fit and being considered worthy of brought on to help the team.

The fact that Winks got 3.5, imo, he may as well had stayed at home.

Last edited:
v Man City

Lloris 5 - Uninspiring again. That's three poor matches in the last few weeks. Blip or trend?

Tanga 8.5 - Excellent all round against the toughest opponents we will face all season. Should be first choice for the rest of the season.

Sanchez 7.5 - 3rd goal aside, another assured performance. Good tackling and interceptions. With good coaching and a confidence boost, he could still be the real deal.

Dier 7 - It was generally a sound performance. A few passes went astray but defensively - particularly in the first half - he was secure.

Davies 5 - Given a torrid time by Foden and Sterling. Offered nothing going forward.

PEH 6 - Struggled all evening. Clumsy for the penalty (again) which changed the momentum of the game.

Ndombele 6 - A sound first half and competed well. He was the springboard for mounting our counter attacks. Pointless tactical switch at half time and with it our hopes of getting back into the game disappeared.

Lamela 4 - His passing, decision-making and vision of what was going on around him was poor all evening.

Moura 3 - Awful. A passenger out of possession, a liability in possession. I just don't know how he gets in our first eleven in a big game.

Son 5 - Toiled away but got nowhere. Another frustrating game for him.

Kane 6 - Kept going until the end but like Son very little happened for him.

Subs

Sissoko 4 - Pointless substitution. The opposite of what we needed in the context of the match. Asleep for City's second goal. Offered nothing else other than a few routine passes.

Dele 5.5 - Struggled to make an impact. But always makes himself available and at least tried to make things happen. He never hides unlike a player like Moura.

Bale 5.5 - Like Dele, he didn't really have much impact. One glorious dribble and shot gives us a glimpse of the talent that's still there.

Jose 4 - Positive team selection, Moura aside. Dreadful half time substitution. He simply raised the white flag and it became an exercise in damage limitation. And to compound it, having made the tactical switch he pulls off Ndombele 15 minutes later. It should have been Dele for Moura at half time and we were still in with a shout.

My ratings v City.

Lloris 3, Tanganga 7, Sanchez 5, Dier 6, Davies 3, Hojbjerg 4, Ndombele 5.5, Lamela 5, Moura 3, Son 4.5, Kane 6, Sissoko 4, Dele 3, Bale 5.
Jose 5

Ratings vs City

Lloris 3.5 Tanganga 7.5 Sanchez 7 Dier 6.5 Davies 4 Hojbjerg 4.5 Ndombele 5 Lamela 5 Moura 3.5 Son 4.5 Kane 5.5 Sissoko 4.5 Dele 3.5 Bale 6 Mourinho 4

If he's now fully fit, Tanganga showed that he's plenty good enough to be a regular starter in this team.
Sanchez in recent outings has indicated that he may still be worth the investment we made in him. Maybe he Tanganga and Rodon will prove to be decent CB options in time, but short term we remain heavily dependent on Dier & Alderweireld.
With Lamela failing to match his recent performance level, our AM reverted to being non existent.
Bale's jinking run past three defenders and decent effort on goal, was for me a highlight of an increasingly depressing season. Was this an indication of what could still be, if given game time.
Given the match situation, bringing on Sissoko at HT just about sums up Mourinho's management.

Here's mine against City

Lloris 5 - He needs a strong couple of weeks to get over these gremlins. Class is permanent right?

Tanganga 8 - our best player and needs to be first choice
Sanchez 7 - stick with him. He was nicely marked up for the Gundugan goal. Was the only player to react to Edersen's pass. The entire midfield was in a different county to the runner.
Dier 6 - mostly solid but can never play to his total potential on the left
Davies 5 - was tortured and had little football ability to pass his way out of it. Last season at Spurs?

Hojbjerg 6.5 - mostly OK, but clearly made one obvious error.
Ndombele 6.5 - was probably tired but I would have kept him on longer. The guy was taking a lot of pressure of the defence with his ability on the ball

Moura 3.5 - waste of a shirt, again
Lamela 4.5 - seriously struggled with decision making and passing. Very poor game
Son 5.5 - showed glimpses, but mostly reverted to type by going missing in these tough away games

Kane 6 - I hope he doesn't think that finally hitting the post means he can waste another 2 more of our seasons taking free-kicks. After all, it is a miss

Subs

Sissoko 4 - they just kept passing around him. He's not got the brain to figure out why
Bale 6 - showed glimpses of what is still there somewhere.
Dele 6.5 - always wanting the ball and mostly always retaining possession. It's not fair to expect the old Dele just to re-appear, but some good signs

Jose 4 - I din't expect him to win this one, but I didn't expect him to be so negative with the Sissoko sub. Jose just can't help himself. If he had any sense of adventure he would have made the Moura for Dele or Bale switch at half time and got the team all motivated for a winning second half. It was as negative a message he could have sent to his players by putting Sissoko on. It was like throwing in the towel. I can't wait for this parallel universe to end.

V Man City
Lloris 3, Tanganga 7, Sanchez 5, Dier 6, Davies 5, Hojbjerg 5, N’Dombele 5, Lamela 5.5, Moura 4.5, Son 4.5, Kane 4.5
Subs: Sissoko 4, Bale 5, Dele 5
Jose 4

Here's mine against City

Lloris 5 - He needs a strong couple of weeks to get over these gremlins. Class is permanent right?

Tanganga 8 - our best player and needs to be first choice
Sanchez 7 - stick with him. He was nicely marked up for the Gundugan goal. Was the only player to react to Edersen's pass. The entire midfield was in a different county to the runner.
Dier 6 - mostly solid but can never play to his total potential on the left
Davies 5 - was tortured and had little football ability to pass his way out of it. Last season at Spurs?

Hojbjerg 6.5 - mostly OK, but clearly made one obvious error.
Ndombele 6.5 - was probably tired but I would have kept him on longer. The guy was taking a lot of pressure of the defence with his ability on the ball

Moura 3.5 - waste of a shirt, again
Lamela 4.5 - seriously struggled with decision making and passing. Very poor game
Son 5.5 - showed glimpses, but mostly reverted to type by going missing in these tough away games

Kane 6 - I hope he doesn't think that finally hitting the post means he can waste another 2 more of our seasons taking free-kicks. After all, it is a miss

Subs

Sissoko 4 - they just kept passing around him. He's not got the brain to figure out why
Bale 6 - showed glimpses of what is still there somewhere.
Dele 6.5 - always wanting the ball and mostly always retaining possession. It's not fair to expect the old Dele just to re-appear, but some good signs

Jose 4 - I din't expect him to win this one, but I didn't expect him to be so negative with the Sissoko sub. Jose just can't help himself. If he had any sense of adventure he would have made the Moura for Dele or Bale switch at half time and got the team all motivated for a winning second half. It was as negative a message he could have sent to his players by putting Sissoko on. It was like throwing in the towel. I can't wait for this parallel universe to end.

It was suggested by the commentary team that Sissoko was brought on to enable Ndombele to get further up the pitch and relieve him of some defensive duty.

It was suggested by the commentary team that Sissoko was brought on to enable Ndombele to get further up the pitch and relieve him of some defensive duty.

What we needed was a player like the old Dele (or Eriksen) that would give him license to get forward knowing that an intelligent footballer would drop in. It's called working as a team which is a concept completely lost on that brain in Moura's head. He'd be up alongside Tanguy and along with Son we'd all count to 3 before either dropped in. Then Ndombele would get blamed.

Not that it was your opinion you were portraying, but I don't buy it. It was Jose reverting to type and being lazy (again) with his tactical thinking. He's a dinosaur.

It had almost entirely the exact oppositive effect. And I'm not just saying that after event, that almost exactly what I shared with 80 during the match, admittedly shortly thereafter I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore, which is why I can't really do any rating here for the players with a clear conscience.

It had almost entirely the exact oppositive effect. And I'm not just saying that after event, that almost exactly what I shared with 80 during the match, admittedly shortly thereafter I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore, which is why I can't really do any rating here for the players with a clear conscience.

I agree it didnt work and I dont know if it was Jose's thinking but I could see the logic in the suggestion.
Passion is a great thing Ex and you seem to have it in abundance, or is it anger ? Maybe get yourself a punch bag. I used to have one and it beat me every time. It was filled with compacted leather cuttings, it was like punching a brick wall and kept coming back for more !!

I agree it didnt work and I dont know if it was Jose's thinking but I could see the logic in the suggestion.
Passion is a great thing Ex and you seem to have it in abundance, or is it anger ? Maybe get yourself a punch bag. I used to have one and it beat me every time. It was filled with compacted leather cuttings, it was like punching a brick wall and kept coming back for more !!

I think I'm missing playing golf and boxing training, both calmed me, but it's been a while now, I work out everyday for just over an hour and do an hours+ hard walk everyday (knees blow up if I run too much now), I've been getting plenty of sex in at the weekends, which helps :-)

As for Jose's tactical decisions, if they worked I'd STFU up, but the vast majority are disastrous lately and perhaps I too am now getting infected with the conspiracy bug as a friend said to at the weekend he only puts Sissoko or as my friend calls him, Godoohno on to poke Levy that his bench isn't good enough!

I almost agreed !!

Anyway as I couldn't stomach watching the last 25 mins or so, being lazy I will defer to the standards - who increasingly I tend to be in tune with:

(That said, though they were very generous with Sossnoko)

Here's how we rated the Tottenham players at the Etihad...

Hugo Lloris 3
Another wretched afternoon for the Spurs captain, whose form has gone off a cliff this year. Rodri's penalty and Gundogan's toe-poke both went straight through him. Made a decent late save but serious questions about the Frenchman.

Japhet Tanganga 6
Not the game he would have wanted for his first Premier League start in nearly a year but produced an encouraging display in the circumstances, using his pace and strength well.

Davinson Sanchez 5
Made a terrific, goal-saving block to deny Gundogan in an encouraging first-half display before a horrorshow for the third goal. Resembled Bambi on ice as the midfielder wrapped up the win.

Eric Dier 6
Did OK and avoided a costly error of his own, which was notable after mistakes against Liverpool and Chelsea left his confidence low, according to Mourinho.

Ben Davies 4
Endured a torrid afternoon against Phil Foden and Joao Cancelo but particularly struggled when Raheem Sterling drifted to the right. The England winger roasted him.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg 6
Having started superbly, he perhaps deserved the benefit of the doubt for the penalty, which looked dubious on second viewing. Nonetheless, it was risky to go charging into Gundogan. Kept the ball well.

Tanguy Ndombele 5
Added the occasional spark, even if it was a risky pass on the edge of his box. Has looked jaded of late, though, and hooked early after playing 90 minutes vs Everton.

Erik Lamela 5
A typically chaotic and infuriating Lamela display. Made a nuisance of himself but frequently took too many touches in the third final and ended up missing the pass.
Lucas Moura 4
Unsurprisingly hooked at half-time after losing possession seven times - a joint high at that point with Son. Energetic but lacking finesse against quality opponents.

Heung-min Son 4
Has lost his edge in the last month or so and looks in need of a rest. Lost possession and repeatedly, and barely threatened City.
Harry Kane 6
Nearly gave Spurs the lead when he struck the bar with a free-kick at 0-0 - perhaps his best effort from a set-piece since scoring against Villa seven years ago - but unable to make any other notable impact on the game.

Substitutes
Moussa Sissoko (Lucas 45') 5
Spurs only seemed to get worse after his introduction and he failed to add anything in attack or defence, really.
Dele Alli (Ndombele 64') 5
His return to the fold is welcome but looks like a player who has played very little football in the last six months. Lots of rusty touches.
Gareth Bale (Lamela 74') 7
Offered a reminder of his quality with a brilliant shimmy to leave three City players in his wake before Ederson made the save. It was Spurs' best moment after Kane's free-kick.

Jose 4

Average player ratings against Everton in the FA cup across 6 media/web reports and 5 forum posters. Media in second column.

Lloris 4.30, 4.50
Doherty 4.90 5.16
Toby 5.10, 4.66
Sanchez 6, 6.08
Davies 5.20, 4.83
Hojbjerg 5.40, 4.33
Ndombele 6, 6
Lamela 7.70 , 7.08
Moura 5.80, 6.33
Bergwijn 5.80, 5.75
Son 6.90, 7.83
Kane 6.70, 6.83
Winks 3.50, 3.83
Sissoko 5, 5.08
Vinnie 4.60, 5
Dele 4.90 , 5

Jose 5.83.

Average player ratings against City across 10 media/web reports and 6 forum posters. Media in second column.

Lloris 3.75, 3.70
Tanganga 7.33, 5.65
Sanchez 6.08, 4.70
Dier 6.25, 5.40
Davies 4.50, 4.30
Hojbjerg 5.33, 4.80
Ndombele 5.50, 5.90
Moura 3.58, 4.10
Lamela 4.83, 4.70
Son 4.66, 4.90
Kane 5.66, 5.95
Sissoko 4.25, 4.95
Dele 4.75, 5.10
Bale 5.75, 5.90

Jose 4.16.

Quite significant disparity on Tanganga and Sanchez. Web/Media both giving much lower ratings.