20/21 Match thread - Newcastle United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL | Page 12 | Vital Football

20/21 Match thread - Newcastle United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Loss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aurier and Toby effectively downed tools by not turning up for training. Kane hitting the post and Japhet having one cleared off the line is hardly downing tools. The system Jose played created chances but the defence he was forced to pick is not good enough, its not a case of downing tools. Sanchez is consistently poor and Japhet is young. I would add Reggie ain't a great defender.
I watched a different game, one where once again we seemed to play as if we would and should win against a team that really wanted and tried to win. Sick to death of Jose and the players not taking full responsibility for lack of Intensity, for crap passing and movement, for lack of giving 100% ....100% of the time. Some players and Jose need to go asap.

Aurier and Toby effectively downed tools by not turning up for training. Kane hitting the post and Japhet having one cleared off the line is hardly downing tools. The system Jose played created chances but the defence he was forced to pick is not good enough, its not a case of downing tools. Sanchez is consistently poor and Japhet is young. I would add Reggie ain't a great defender.

Dav, Japh and Reg had bad games... I will openly admit that but they were up against it from the off. Very little shielding from CMs and too often both our wingbacks were too far forward, leaving our CBs to command a very large amount of space.

It's down to Jose to oil this machine but the same tactical errors have been there over and over. Yes, we should have scored a couple more but they could have scored a lot more. The Gayle chance early on forced a great Lloris save, Joelinton fluffed 3 clear cut chances and I remember another chance that forced a great Lloris' save again but not sure who it was. Almiron?

We should have lost. We were lucky not to. They cut through us too easily and we looked a mess from front to back.

Like most of u guys I'm disappointed but came away with a somewhat different summary.
Watching the replay sitting in front of my 17 inch monitor I couldn't help laughing at our aspirant clowns (under Jose) and applauding the commitment & audacity of a relegation threatened team.

Where on earth was PEH yesterday? He was completely MIA in the first half. Normally he's heavily involved in the play in some capacity but he didn't seem to make any impact until well into the second half. He certainly left the CBs unprotected.

All afternoon Newcastle hurt us with that long diagonal ball into the box (and there were some great deliveries to be fair). But we seemed to make no tactical adjustments to prevent it.

At this level, downing tools equates to just giving 10% less effort. Just go and watch Kane against City before Xmas and that is him at full throttle. Yesterday, he just floated around in 3rd gear and got involved when he chose to. That is downing tools in a disguised way. Of course, nobody will challenge Kane as he got 2 goals. How dare we, just like when he's standing over a free-kick.

You often watch games the second time. If you do, focus on Kane for a few minutes and then tell me whether you think he's leaving it all out there and playing the position properly. He had 48 touches playing number 10. In his equivalent game playing the same position, De Bruyne had 83 and didn't finish the game. Thiago for Liverpool had 98. That's what can happen when you're constantly working and moving in that vital position.

It is these little details where Jose is coming up short.

A report suggests that the club refutes Jose's accusation about Toby not training until Saturday. I checked the training gallery for April Ist and Toby is to be seen in a shot with Sonny. WTF ?

Was that video online of Fri or Sat training?

Sounds like Toby played Tuesday and was back in UK on Weds. Does he then have to self isolate for 48 hours, hence can only train Saturday.

The irony is that Rodon played well against Villa and deserved to keep his shirt anyway. He was then the pick of our defenders yesterday.

Perhaps the next combo to try is Toby (right) and Rodon (left).

A lot of valid points being raised coming out of this match, not unexpectedly none are particularly positive;
- It's difficult to be critical of Harry Kane, because even at half throttle he is our only real threat. Comments regarding his involvement and effort levels are valid though. He seems to be simply going through the motions, which still makes him better than most, but I get the impression that he's made up his mind that he is off in the summer, and is simply not prepared to bust a gut for ninety minutes chasing a lost cause, which I suspect he feels that Spurs under Mourinho are.
- Sonny's form is worrying, he's not scoring goals, and when he's not scoring goals his form and confidence dip. Unfortunately he's not scoring goals, because when at his best he's only interested in running at defences and scoring goals. Currently when he receives the ball his first instinct is to look up to see where Kane is. Mourinho should be urging him to play to his own strengths.
- I agree with comments that Reguilon is by no means a good defender. We'd be better off with Davies, a decent defender, playing at left back or LCB, with Reguilon playing ahead of him in a wide left attacking role.
- Tanganga is a better CB than he is a FB. Presumably he's playing RB because of our lack of options. Tanganga and Rodon in years to come could be our new Alderweireld and Vertonghen. but fans will need to be patient.
- Finally, and most obviously, things are not going to get better for as long as Mourinho is at the Club. He's dragging us backwards at an alarming rate.

Jose in his presser seemed to suggest our defensive options were limited due to the failure of Aurier and Toby to report for training on Thurs and Fri. They only trained on Saturday. They failed to get covid tests so as to allow training apparently.
This is undoubtedly a correct statement but yet again it is a deflection, a red herring, to take the focus away from him for such an awful result and horrendous defensive performance.

I didn’t like what I saw yesterday .
Kane having a wander .
Lamela , when he came on , having a wander ,
Bale , I saw him touch the ball when he took the free kick . Not sure where he went after that .
Moura , where abouts was he on the field .?
Son , fiery first three minutes , then settled down to watch .
Reggie suddenly lost two yards of pace, ....whatever that means , he was slow and out of position a lot .
Vinnie . Say no more .
Thank goodness we had two at the back that knew what was going on , and Ndom and Gio doing a bit .

We were lucky to get what we got .

If that is the best , one of the so called best managers in the world can conjure up , then Roy Keane should be looking over his shoulder in the pundits chair , because Jose will be in it soon . ..... hopefully

Whilst most will focus on our weak defending which is valid, our CM area is a major problem.

Hoji isn't a natural DM. He is at his best playing as a CM where he has the licence to get forward and break up play further up the pitch. From a standing position he doesn't have the acceleration, mobility or agility to play as a deep laying DM. He is better at defending high up and tracking back from a forward position.

Ndombele just doesn't work hard enough. Loads of talent on the ball but he is nowhere near the level required if we want to win trophies on a regular basis. The fact his fitness is still an issue nearly 2 years with being at the club shows he doesn't have the mentality to make it. I can see why at times Jose has played him as a 10. It filters out his weak fitness, desire and lack of defensive ability.

A Hoji/Ndombele combination is disjointed and nowhere near the level required.

Whilst most will focus on our weak defending which is valid, our CM area is a major problem.

Hoji isn't a natural DM. He is at his best playing as a CM where he has the licence to get forward and break up play further up the pitch. From a standing position he doesn't have the acceleration, mobility or agility to play as a deep laying DM. He is better at defending high up and tracking back from a forward position.

Ndombele just doesn't work hard enough. Loads of talent on the ball but he is nowhere near the level required if we want to win trophies on a regular basis. The fact his fitness is still an issue nearly 2 years with being at the club shows he doesn't have the mentality to make it. I can see why at times Jose has played him as a 10. It filters out his weak fitness, desire and lack of defensive ability.

A Hoji/Ndombele combination is disjointed and nowhere near the level required.
As has been said on here recently, our midfield options come nowhere close to the Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen and Dele line up in its heyday.
Ndombele and Lo Celso worry me the most. They probably have world class potential in them, but neither stamp their authority and influence on games with any regularity whatsoever.

Was that video online of Fri or Sat training?

Sounds like Toby played Tuesday and was back in UK on Weds. Does he then have to self isolate for 48 hours, hence can only train Saturday.

The irony is that Rodon played well against Villa and deserved to keep his shirt anyway. He was then the pick of our defenders yesterday.

Perhaps the next combo to try is Toby (right) and Rodon (left).

On the Spurs website Thursday training gallery, Toby is there but no shots of Aurier.

My thoughts on yesterdays game....
The players have had "we hold what we have" drummed into them, the tactic has proved that at only having a 1 goal lead is a huge risk and doubly so if the team has shown they are not suited to it.
Thus the old truism is still true...to keep doing the same thing time after time with the same outcome and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

After watching our esteemed leader's after match interview yesterday, if he hasn't lost the changing room yet he certainly will and deserves to....my reasoning...
When asked how the current Spurs team lose so many games/points from winning positions compared to his past teams who rarely did?....his answer was "same manager, different players", so the implication is - players fault.
But the reality is "different skill set of players, different game, same old tactics" thus managers fault.

Moaninasaurus get the fcuk out of my club.

Points dropped from winning positions 15, yes 15 bloody points, because of crap tactics that do not suit the squad/team/players we have, add 50% of that total we would be 3rd or a reasonably comfortable 4th.

I have said this before, and it is bloody obvious, the players dislike JM, his tactics, his game play, so they find themselves in a rock and a hard place situation....

1....Want JM out....down tools, go through the motions, thus media and their fans whinge, moan n groan about them, but happy days JM is fcuked off out of the club, and still no nice shiny trophy or CL next season.

2....Still want JM out....but take things into their own hands, finish in top 4, get CL for next season, beat MC in the Lge Cup final, yippee! a nice Shiny Trophy for them the fans and Spurs as a club, unhappy days JM is kept on.

For me that is some position the players find themselves in, either way they cannot win.

The same coach, different players comment may have meant....you can't compare his previous teams with this one, the players are not the same....probably inferior but he won't say that.
He does not seem to be happy with his defensive players and I'm not either. We have already been through and mostly agreed on here that our defense is not good enough anymore.

Having now waded through everybody's opinionated posts, blame him, blame them players wise etc, it is bloody obvious for me "THE CHANGING ROOM IS LOST"

I will say it again "MOANINASAURUS GET THE FCUK OUT OF MY CLUB" for our players and us die hard fans sake.

The same coach, different players comment may have meant....you can't compare his previous teams with this one, the players are not the same....probably inferior but he won't say that.
He does not seem to be happy with his defensive players and I'm not either. We have already been through and mostly agreed on here that our defense is not good enough anymore.
Sorry NIck you keep up with your excuses for Dickhead JM.

For Harry to score as many has he has done this season is nothing short of remarkable. I am the first to point out he is selfish but to get this many goals playing in this set up with Jose's negative tactics is remarkable. Yes he goes missing a lot in games but there is not one other top striker in the world asked to do the tracking back and defending he is.
As for today anyone watching the game knows that it sums Jose's style of play up completely. We never really started to play until they scored. When we were winning we sat back again which just put pressure on our very average defence. If anyone thinks jose is the way forward then I give up. We played an awful Newcastle team and we made them look decent. They played through our middle so easy but not as easy as down the wings. I love Japhet but he is a cb . Anyone watching today could see that. His positioning was as a cb he is a cb and I hope jose can see that now