20/21 Match thread - Newcastle United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL | Page 15 | Vital Football

20/21 Match thread - Newcastle United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Loss

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So how do you account for us having the fourth best defence in the league?

Because the success of a team's overall defense, is based upon the success of The Unit, and not dependent upon the individuals' successes. The irony, and maybe why it is the most difficult group to find true cohesion, is because The Unit's failures, are often caused by a single individual's error. That second sense that develops over time on the pitch is what compensates for that stark reality. And all too often we watch it and take it for granted.

Our guys play well together. Even better if they've got a solid gameplan.

I wasn't suggesting we hadn't declined in the last few years. We had the best defence in the league for two years running so against that benchmark of course we have declined.

What I was trying to do was put it in perspective with some objective evidence. It's nowhere as bad as has been suggested.

Yes, bad defending has cost us 15 points but that's been a consequence of trying to defend a one goal lead often with a significant amount of the game remaining. And nearly always against inferior teams. Other than Man City I would argue if any other team had adopted this strategy they too would have conceded a similar number of points. But of course our peers would instead have asserted their superiority and put the game to bed avoiding this scenario altogether.
To right there Gary, I said it on another thread continuous "parking the bus" "keeping what you have" esp a 1 goal margin, leads to catastrophy no matter how good your defence is, not saying ours is good, but this whole scenario, builds fear of making a mistake, thus more, panic, then add the chance of bad luck, freak gls, worldies etc.

Last edited:
Could not agree more.

If miracles are going to happen and we do win against City, my fear is that it will cement Jose's tenure at our Club for a bit longer, and this shit show will continue. On the other hand, that little piece of silverware may be enough for Kane to hang around for next season, but I doubt it.

City are the epitome of a Club with their shit together, and have been for some time. I envy their harmony, their respect for one another, and the ability for each player to play to their and each others strengths. They enjoy their football and I feel for their fans not being permitted to see this spectacle from the stands.

Apologies for coming over all sky blue and all. Not sure what happened there.:cautious:
Hod you have just said what I have been saying....win the Cup, JM stays, that will really please the players, so they are in between a "rock and a hard place".