Tottenham v Villa Match Thread - 1/1/23 - 2pm ko | Page 21 | Vital Football

Tottenham v Villa Match Thread - 1/1/23 - 2pm ko

Today's Sky ratings. Personally I think some are on the low side.

Aston Villa: Olsen (7), Young (7), Konsa (7), Mings (7), Digne (7), Douglas Luiz (8), Kamara (8), McGinn (8), Bailey (7), Buendia (8), Watkins (8).

Subs: Cash (6), Coutinho (6), Chambers (6), Ings (6), Bednarek (6).

Funny I thought that was Mings's best game in ages, he marked Kane and got stuck into him at the right time. He bossed it like a 6ft 5" CB should , none of this standing off and last ditch stuff this was front foot assault on Kane and co

the last away game for me was watford kast season, not great. was in a box for todays game with my daughter who works down in the land of fairies and got hospitality through her employer. We were the only villans and didnt expect to come away with all 3 points… so thanks very much villa!,, thought it was a great team job. Mings looked solid, kamara & luiz class. Great to see buendia get a goal from watkins chasing. Watching emery on the sidelines is always great, he never stops talking to the players and giving instructions, a real pro. Great start to 2023.

Wonderful performance , a gameplan was drawn up and executed to the letter . The players looked totally assured of what their roles were , Spurs had no answers really.

Just listened to most of 606 on the way back and not one mention of even our name despite the fact we were the only team to win today , all I heard were Spurs injury problems and Conte this and Conte that and then on to Chelsea.

Pathetic.

Not long back…..That’s what away days are all about and bloody hell after so many heartaches it doesn’t half feel good when everything slots into place like it did today. A perfect away day performance. Luiz and Kamara, different class, Olsen bless him didnt have much to do but what he did do he did very well, Ashley Young….inspirational, barking orders throughout. Also…and this doesn’t happen often thought the ref was very good today, didn’t cower to the demands of the Spurs fans or players and made sensible, fair decisions throughout! There’s a first! Think it’s 3 consecutive wins when he’s reffed our games so….Mr John Brookes you’re welcome back anytime! Seen some comments re Spurs bias on Sky and Five Live….just to say we had Talkshite on til we reached Beaconsfield services and they hardly mentioned Villa either…all very salty that Spurs were so shite! Same old bias. Great day…bring on the Dingles!

Last edited:
Not only complete bias on the radio. Just watched the 3 min highlights on youtube and the commentator .….Dear me. After each goal went in the very first comment was about spurs. Spurs go behind, spurs shoot themselves in the foot …blah …blah.

Its actually a disgrace.

Yep how dare Villa not follow the script

Wonderful performance , a gameplan was drawn up and executed to the letter . The players looked totally assured of what their roles were , Spurs had no answers really.

Just listened to most of 606 on the way back and not one mention of even our name despite the fact we were the only team to win today , all I heard were Spurs injury problems and Conte this and Conte that and then on to Chelsea.

Pathetic.
Twas ever thus.When we fought Ipswich in 80/81, The London Press, with no media darling club in the race, adopted the Tractor Boys as a "South East" club.
Not only complete bias on the radio. Just watched the 3 min highlights on youtube and the commentator .….Dear me. After each goal went in the very first comment was about spurs. Spurs go behind, spurs shoot themselves in the foot …blah …blah.

Its actually a disgrace.

Really can’t think of anyone in the team today that didn’t turn up at one stage during the match. It was such a team performance.

Some individual iffy performances first half ( Buendia and Bailey) but then ended up with them contributing second half.

Ashley Young is player of the season so far. What an inspired decision to sign him for a further season.

And kudos to Ollie today . Loads and loads of key dirty work he got through today. Essential part of the plan.

Last edited:
We have to accept that Conte and his team’s poor run is the main story. There’s nothing the media likes better than putting pressure on a manager and it’s usually one of ours. Let Unai build us slowly and quietly and undoubtedly the Villa ship will come in when we have proven our upward course.

We have to accept that Conte and his team’s poor run is the main story. There’s nothing the media likes better than putting pressure on a manager and it’s usually one of ours. Let Unai build us slowly and quietly and undoubtedly the Villa ship will come in when we have proven our upward course.

Yep the longer we fly under the radar the more we will outperform and the less pressure the players will have.

Edit: the yanks hilariously do better coverage now, they still have the sky 6 bias but they at least give other teams credit. Like today they said every single Villa player outclassed their opposite number today, and its so true.

Have to say Conte’s brand of football is pretty dull. It’s fine when it wins you matches and trophies which tbf he’s been pretty successful at doing over the years but if you don’t win games it can soon unravel pretty quickly. Even when we were two up they had 11 men back to defend a corner! Natives are already restless and his after match comments will have annoyed many. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s not there next season. Anyway….couldn’t give a stuff really, Unai is clearly far superior. :wahey: