The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs")

I think he is a shop keeper from Petersfield, he's been at it for years.

He runs a book shop in Petersfield and a very good book shop. Whilst at work in his bookshop he comes across as a decent bloke and someone you can have a constructive conversation with.
Where as the complete opposite when he follows pompey, just a few seasons ago he found it very amusing to urinate over the seats at St. Mary's.

means fuckall in the big scheme of things though lancs.

still nil points

True, Rob. Just commiserating.
We need a momentum change; perhaps the upcoming extended break might just lend itself to that wish. Add in some returnees and improved fitness and we could yet spring a surprise at Rotherham - who knows....

We`ve been here before, so don`t need to be throwing towels around just yet :sorcerer:

We need a momentum change; perhaps the upcoming extended break might just lend itself to that wish. Add in some returnees and improved fitness and we could yet spring a surprise at Rotherham - who knows....

We`ve been here before, so don`t need to be throwing towels around just yet :sorcerer:

throw in the towel - towel -throw in - Jackson - Mornington Crescent?

This is where Evans and Raynor earn their corn.

They have to convince the players that they are playing pretty well and not to feel sorry for themselves. Just add that none of them are to walk under ladders or get anywhere near black cats.

At the moment, I would settle for us having a chance of staying up on the final day, ideally with most players, particularly Oliver, back available.

Anybody outside of the club would probably say that every team has injuries and that we are just making excuses but if they got a glance at our bench they may think again.

Apparently, Cowley was bemoaning the lack of ONE player - Sean Raggett - from a much bigger squad.

I agree, and I’ve always firmly been in the “apologist” camp rather than bedwetter.

But so much is going against us, good performances and unlucky defeats still have the same final outcome. Someone said after Cheltenham that we don’t look a relegation side. That may be true, but unless the better performances yield some points we will be dropping.

Bollocks, I’m gonna have a drink, UTG

Gutted by that. Great commitment and work rate as usual and had some decent chances, Lloyd had a bit more time with his one in the second half imo and rushed it a bit. Akinde when one on one has to do better than that, really poor effort. Ogilivie was excellent and if some of our players have forgotten the art of gamesmanship then he certainly hasn't.

Not too disappointed with that tbh. Thought we were the better side in the 2nd half. Lost count the amount of time we found ourselves in good positions and blasted high over the bar. Our corners were woeful today, and we hardly won any flick ons from Jackson's throws. Nasty deflection for their winner, very unlucky to lose.
Saw enough today though to suggest we can get out of this mess, especially when players return.

I keep telling myself the same, performances on a whole or okay, but we dearly need our first teamers available.

But as I said earlier, with the exception of Big V and Dempsey that probably was our first team, wasn’t it?

But as I said earlier, with the exception of Big V and Dempsey that probably was our first team, wasn’t it?
It’s not far off, but players who are featuring are probably nowhere near match fit, for me Phillips was brilliant Tuesday night and I suspect would be in the team too along with tutonda and possibly McDonald. I guess there is no way of telling what our first team would look like as at no point in the season have been been able to select a settled side. For me the team is good enough providing we can get them back and keep them fit.

Also having no options on the bench prevents the manager from adopting different formations, basically the team selects itself and he has little wriggle room with formations, etc.

It’s not far off, but players who are featuring are probably nowhere near match fit, for me Phillips was brilliant Tuesday night and I suspect would be in the team too along with tutonda and possibly McDonald. I guess there is no way of telling what our first team would look like as at no point in the season have been been able to select a settled side. For me the team is good enough providing we can get them back and keep them fit.
Not sure a midfield of Phillips, Lloyd and Carayol is viable though. I’d have O’Keefe and Dempsey in there. McDonald I’ll give you. Still undecided about Tutonda tbh. Looked hopeless to start, then ok, then a bit ropey again, then injured......

Also having no options on the bench prevents the manager from adopting different formations, basically the team selects itself and he has little wriggle room with formations, etc.

This I do agree with

What could have been a uplifting day turned sour. I still enjoyed the game apart from the fact it was far too cold.Hanging on a you can't score is always a risk .For me Cheltenham were a better side than Portsmouth.While of course Portsmouth are a bigger name .So I was disappointed in the lack of ambition at times. At least we had more players available than expected.Lets hope we are through the worst. I do think at some point the players in midfield need to gamble more often not depend so much on Akinde. In honestly I felt he did fairly well today .However my MOM was Cumming I thought he was superb that tells a story.We need to be at least as good in the coming matches.

Last edited:
Evans is sounding very bitter in his post match comments saying Portsmouth celebrated like it was the "World Cup", not happy with their manager Cowley, didn't shake his hand at the end of the game and bemoaning Portsmouth's "big, big budget".