The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs") | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs")

Evans is sounding very bitter in his post match comments saying Portsmouth celebrated like it was the "World Cup", not happy with their manager Cowley, didn't shake his hand at the end of the game and bemoaning Portsmouth's "big, big budget".

Yep i was disappointed reading that. Very, very sour grapes. Had we scored in last minute I would have gone full on world Cup celebrations as well.

I'd be happy for Evans to move on in the next week. Time to plan for the future anyway

Yep i was disappointed reading that. Very, very sour grapes. Had we scored in last minute I would have gone full on world Cup celebrations as well.

I'd be happy for Evans to move on in the next week. Time to plan for the future anyway
I wonder if it is down to the players if they want Evans to stay enough and there is genuine feedback that they want Evans and Raynor to stay I think he will .If however the players simply feel a but sorry for themselves next week I think Evans may well ask Scally to agree something with Stevenage.

Worrying inability to score now. We know Akinde is goal shy but there’s others on the pitch who are all capable of scoring, but for whatever reason are not doing it. We battle well defensively, apart from 1 lapse at the end after a quickly taken throw in caught us out and that’s the point gone. Can’t keep hoping to get 0-0 scores though, need to find a way to score a goal and not hope to get penalties as the refs don’t seem to like giving them to us!

We were very unlucky not to get a point today, I hope the players remember that and don’t dwell on the result - not that it helps our league position of course.

I agree with other posters; goals are hard to come by at the moment.

When big V is back and fit and hope he’s firing on all cylinders. His confidence seemed to plummet after the missed penalty

Nearly ten thirty and I’ve calmed down now after a long series of fcuk, fcuk, fuck, fcuk !!!
I don’t take defeats like that well.
Never have and never will.
Anyway, after a nice dinner of Appledore Moules washed down with a rather decent Sancerre, I’m officially over it.
A nice break for the boys and we go at it again.

Evans is sounding very bitter in his post match comments saying Portsmouth celebrated like it was the "World Cup", not happy with their manager Cowley, didn't shake his hand at the end of the game and bemoaning Portsmouth's "big, big budget".

Thought the same Bromley, dont know why he comes out with all that as it just sounds like sour grapes to me.

What a sickener 😕
Would have been a nice little booster that before the week off if we’d held on or snuck the win.

Unfortunately (but it probably says more about me), my immediate thoughts were about other matters.

It was asked by someone else earlier, but no replies yet. What was the crowd like? Atmosphere wise.

I see it was given as 5,600. And the official Pompey following was 1,400.

That leaves 4.2k home fans. Is that about the norm? Did it look like a lot of s/t holders not there?

And what of any outside protest? I’ve only read one comment that said something like “30 at Cheltenham, less today”.

And, bizarre as it sounds, there was a move by some of our fans on the L1 forum to get Pompey fans behind their cause by booing on 26 mins to indicate 26 years of poor ownership or something. Did that get off the ground?

I think the Akinde incident was not a penalty. I have not seen any replay but i think Akinde had lost the ball and made sure he made contact with their keeper.

For those that can see a replay of this incident i'd like your views.

As for the game we wasted chances and one one occasion i counted the away keeper with the ball in his hands for 22 seconds.

The reffing was below the standard i would expect for a league one game. The ref was too soft and talked too much.

What a sickener 😕
Would have been a nice little booster that before the week off if we’d held on or snuck the win.

Unfortunately (but it probably says more about me), my immediate thoughts were about other matters.

It was asked by someone else earlier, but no replies yet. What was the crowd like? Atmosphere wise.

I see it was given as 5,600. And the official Pompey following was 1,400.

That leaves 4.2k home fans. Is that about the norm? Did it look like a lot of s/t holders not there?

And what of any outside protest? I’ve only read one comment that said something like “30 at Cheltenham, less today”.

And, bizarre as it sounds, there was a move by some of our fans on the L1 forum to get Pompey fans behind their cause by booing on 26 mins to indicate 26 years of poor ownership or something. Did that get off the ground?
The Pompey fan I spoke to at the station seemed confused about the Scally issue.I don't think Scally or any of our issues are thar well known around the league.I am a bit deaf so I have no idea weather anyone did anything on 26 minutes it certainly didn't impact with me.I would say the whole crowd was subdued or seemed it to me.

Strangely enough I was heartened by that performance. If we get Oliver back to even half his goalscoring ability I reckon we'll be ok. The most "football" I've seen us play for ages.

Not impressed with Portsmouth although that may also be because of our decent performance.

Didn't bat an eyelid when their winner went in. Just the sort of thing that happens when your luck is out. Learnt after the game that it was an og deflected off the excellent Tucker, so that says it all for me.

Heads up everyone and UTG's!!!

I think the Akinde incident was not a penalty. I have not seen any replay but i think Akinde had lost the ball and made sure he made contact with their keeper.

I’ve seen the replay a few times and looked stonewall to me and a red card for violent conduct - had an outfield played been so reckless and dangerous, I’ve no doubt it would have been a foul and straight red. I thought Akinde got there first, the keeper may well have got a touch on the ball, but his challenge was out of control with his shoulder and upper body dangerously clattering with akinde’s chest. I’d compare it to a challenge of an outfield player where the player goes in hard, gets the ball, but follows through with their studs dangerously and makes contact - think the term used by official is excess force.

I’ve seen the replay a few times and looked stonewall to me and a red card for violent conduct - had an outfield played been so reckless and dangerous, I’ve no doubt it would have been a foul and straight red. I thought Akinde got there first, the keeper may well have got a touch on the ball, but his challenge was out of control with his shoulder and upper body dangerously clattering with akinde’s chest. I’d compare it to a challenge of an outfield player where the player goes in hard, gets the ball, but follows through with their studs dangerously and makes contact - think the term used by official is excess force.

It was up on Twitter and in real motion it looks like an absolute mugging and a straight red to me.

It’s also on there slowed right down and you can see JA gets a touch on the ball, the keeper misses it completely and just takes Akinde out at the knees then clatters his upper body. So still a dead set pen and Red for me too.

I’m actually gob smacked the amount of fans saying keeper got the ball so no pen. As Steve says, he completely cleaned out Jon Akinde. Even if he got the ball (he didn’t) anywhere else on the pitch that’s a foul and yellow or red.

I'll have a go at answering your question on crowd/atmosphere OSK.

A crowd of 5600 felt right. If we take off 1400 Pompey that leaves about 4200. That didn't feel wrong, it was certainly larger than the cheltenham game. I always use the end blocks as my gauge and they had a few in them. It would be good for someone from the GRS to comment. That looked empty but I cant see under the roof to see how many are in the back few rows.

I read that the club gave tickets away to local teams. I hope that's true as maybe a few will ask to come again.

I find it hard to gauge the atmosphere. Without doubt Pompey made more noise on a consistent basis and I don't think we really had any periods of sustained pressure to build the atmosphere. Too many corners and throw ins came to literally nothing (at one point Jackson actually threw one out for a goal kick - you don't see that very often).

Others may have seen it differently. I've fallen out of love with the Gills and am only there as I have a ST. That mindset will cloud my view a bit so I am sure someone else will counter with what a brilliant performance, atmosphere and state that the club could do no more to make it the best day out possible in the dive that is Medway ;-)

As for the Akinde Penalty. I thought it was a clear pen. He was running away from goal but not sure that has any bearing on the outcome. Would it have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch ? That's the answer.

All in all bloody cold, the team battled well but who knows where the next goal is coming from. Worth remembering that without Cummings the game would have been over long before that penalty decision or the inevitable last minute goal.

Well that was my first game for nearly two years and also the first time I’ve seen my folks and brother in that time.

football wise I was expecting the worse but , first 5 mins aside and the last ten when we were knackered I thought we thoroughly dominated.

so good to be back. Normally a late sucker punch would be devastating but the heartening performance balanced that out.

Hearing 1500 Pompey fans singing we are fucking cold was quite funny too.

Only Seeing the league table come up on the tv at the cricketers brought me back down to earth a bit but even so I think we’ve easily got enough in us to stay up. UTG.

Red card 😄

A keeper is allowed.to go for the ball in the box with his hands. He obviously touched the ball at some stage (the ball went off for a throw). The question is when, and it's difficult to see from the footage I have seen.