The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs") | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs")

Didn't deserve to lose.
And on the second half performance a 1-0 win wouldn't have been out of the question.
While I quite like EFL on Quest....
....will they ever show highlights from a Gills' perspective ?
Apart from the Akinde "penalty" - which prompted negligible punditry - where were the other Gills' near-misses ?

Question.
Are Goal celebrations deemed "part of the game" re time ?
With 4 minutes added, I believe we were well into the 3rd minute.
From goal to kick-off was around 1m 20 seconds (maybe more)

The restart seemed very close to the 4 minute mark - with the final whistle blown around 20-25 seconds later.

I may be out with some of my timings - but if the above is about right, then that ref thought that a 1 minute long goal celebration - in added time - was perfectly OK.

(Whether we could have done anything in that missing minute is another matter....:cautious:)

I’ve seen the replay a few times and looked stonewall to me and a red card for violent conduct - had an outfield played been so reckless and dangerous, I’ve no doubt it would have been a foul and straight red. I thought Akinde got there first, the keeper may well have got a touch on the ball, but his challenge was out of control with his shoulder and upper body dangerously clattering with akinde’s chest. I’d compare it to a challenge of an outfield player where the player goes in hard, gets the ball, but follows through with their studs dangerously and makes contact - think the term used by official is excess force.
Love it. Straight after the incident I said to my son "I bet ST says it's a stonewall pen".

Thought goalie got the ball hence where it went off for a throw in. I was in GRS so couldn't tell tbh.

Assume ST and others are correct, having seen replays. Just teasing ST.
:-)

I'll have a go at answering your question on crowd/atmosphere OSK.

A crowd of 5600 felt right. If we take off 1400 Pompey that leaves about 4200. That didn't feel wrong, it was certainly larger than the cheltenham game. I always use the end blocks as my gauge and they had a few in them. It would be good for someone from the GRS to comment. That looked empty but I cant see under the roof to see how many are in the back few rows.

I read that the club gave tickets away to local teams. I hope that's true as maybe a few will ask to come again.

I find it hard to gauge the atmosphere. Without doubt Pompey made more noise on a consistent basis and I don't think we really had any periods of sustained pressure to build the atmosphere. Too many corners and throw ins came to literally nothing (at one point Jackson actually threw one out for a goal kick - you don't see that very often).

Others may have seen it differently. I've fallen out of love with the Gills and am only there as I have a ST. That mindset will cloud my view a bit so I am sure someone else will counter with what a brilliant performance, atmosphere and state that the club could do no more to make it the best day out possible in the dive that is Medway ;-)

As for the Akinde Penalty. I thought it was a clear pen. He was running away from goal but not sure that has any bearing on the outcome. Would it have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch ? That's the answer.

All in all bloody cold, the team battled well but who knows where the next goal is coming from. Worth remembering that without Cummings the game would have been over long before that penalty decision or the inevitable last minute goal.

The GRS was busier definitely…. There were 10 of my mates sitting next to me celebrating my half century …. And the row in front was busy with guys who aren’t normally there … contributing to a better atmosphere in the GRS than the normal quietness …

Red card 😄

A keeper is allowed.to go for the ball in the box with his hands. He obviously touched the ball at some stage (the ball went off for a throw). The question is when, and it's difficult to see from the footage I have seen.
I’ve just watched it twenty times on replay and it looks 100% a penalty.
Of course the ref doesn’t get that luxury.

That was a penalty kick, for sure, as for incident after the goal, the manager deserved his yellow Evans would have definitely got at least a yellow if he done it, also he Portsmouth manager turned his back to the pitch looking at the fans and gave some kind of hand movements. Also those two brothers would not have gone to Pompey unless they had big budget, the pompous pricks.

Last edited:
Red card 😄

A keeper is allowed.to go for the ball in the box with his hands. He obviously touched the ball at some stage (the ball went off for a throw). The question is when, and it's difficult to see from the footage I have seen.

Same applies to outfield players, as I said. If an outfield player went in, won the ball and followed through with his studs on a player that would also be a foul and a red card. That's my point. Of course the keeper got a touch, but it's questionable whether he got a touch before clattering Akinde and regardless, just like an outfield player, getting a touch on the ball doesn't give you carte blanche to dangerously clatter someone afterwards whether with studs, shoulder, knees or elbows...

Same applies to outfield players, as I said. If an outfield player went in, won the ball and followed through with his studs on a player that would also be a foul and a red card. That's my point. Of course the keeper got a touch, but it's questionable whether he got a touch before clattering Akinde and regardless, just like an outfield player, getting a touch on the ball doesn't give you carte blanche to dangerously clatter someone afterwards whether with studs, shoulder, knees or elbows...
Ok, I was probably watching a different incident.

Yellow card and penalty. No violent conduct, serious foul play or denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

The Pompey fan I spoke to at the station seemed confused about the Scally issue.I don't think Scally or any of our issues are thar well known around the league.I am a bit deaf so I have no idea weather anyone did anything on 26 minutes it certainly didn't impact with me.I would say the whole crowd was subdued or seemed it to me.
There were no protests outside of the ground or in, I think most around me in the R E were passionately getting behind the team, particularly in the 2nd half when we dominated but just couldn't score. Annoyingly Danny Lloyd who's a really exciting player and was buzzing, put two over the bar as well when one of them when clean though looked like a certain goal.
Someone said to me there's going to be a protest on 26 minutes, but there was nothing as usual. It seems to be some sort of scaremongering tactic by these 20 or 30 anti-Scally muppets.

I'll have a go at answering your question on crowd/atmosphere OSK.

A crowd of 5600 felt right. If we take off 1400 Pompey that leaves about 4200. That didn't feel wrong, it was certainly larger than the cheltenham game. I always use the end blocks as my gauge and they had a few in them. It would be good for someone from the GRS to comment. That looked empty but I cant see under the roof to see how many are in the back few rows.

I read that the club gave tickets away to local teams. I hope that's true as maybe a few will ask to come again.

I find it hard to gauge the atmosphere. Without doubt Pompey made more noise on a consistent basis and I don't think we really had any periods of sustained pressure to build the atmosphere. Too many corners and throw ins came to literally nothing (at one point Jackson actually threw one out for a goal kick - you don't see that very often).

Others may have seen it differently. I've fallen out of love with the Gills and am only there as I have a ST. That mindset will cloud my view a bit so I am sure someone else will counter with what a brilliant performance, atmosphere and state that the club could do no more to make it the best day out possible in the dive that is Medway ;-)

As for the Akinde Penalty. I thought it was a clear pen. He was running away from goal but not sure that has any bearing on the outcome. Would it have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch ? That's the answer.

All in all bloody cold, the team battled well but who knows where the next goal is coming from. Worth remembering that without Cummings the game would have been over long before that penalty decision or the inevitable last minute goal.
Please give it a rest Mark.

I know we are going nowhere at the moment but you really don't know what shit is unless you are over 40 years old.

As it happens I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of your analysis but were you with me in the 1585 crowd v Donny in 1972. Talk about miserable.

Last edited:
Please give it a rest Mark.

I know we are going nowhere at the moment but you really don't know what shit is unless you are over 40 years old.

As it happens I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of your analysis but were you with me in the 1585 crowd v Donny in 1982. Talk about miserable.

Nope 1984 was my first game

You are welcome to scroll past my posts without reading.

It's just so depressing Mark. You aren't a nutter which is why I read them and you have a decent, reasoned standpoint but please give the doom mongering a rest.

Fair point that I don't have to read it.

As I say don't read them. The message you quoted was in direct response to a question from another poster.

Either scroll past or hit the ignore and you won't even have to do that.

I see the state of the football club as I see it. You may see it differently and that's fine. You can pretend its all rosy if you wish.

Your point that things have been worse in the 90s may be true but I don't want to see us go back there.

As I say scroll past or hit ignore you have that choice.

Alternatively start some threads on different topics that you would like to discuss.

Last edited:
As I say don't read them. The message you quoted was in direct response to a question from another poster.

Either scroll past or hit the ignore and you won't even have to do that.

I see the state of the football club as I see it. You may see it differently and that's fine. You can pretend its all rosy if you wish.

Your point that things have been worse in the 90s may be true but I don't want to see us go back there.

As I say scroll past or hit ignore you have that choice.

I don't want you to stop Mark! You are putting up well reasoned arguments for your view! I like to hear both sides of an argument, and you put your side very well, and like you say, you are only replying to posts aimed at your viewpoint. I'd rather you answer the case than those of the SOB!

Last edited: