The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs") | Vital Football

The Official Portsmouth Match Thread (Sponsored by Connor Ogilvie "for all your "it's a sideways move" needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Where do we go from here? Despite an apparently improved performance and playing-style on Tuesday night against Cheltenham, the outcome was identical to our weekend defeat by the worst team in the league. More worrying than our increasingly poor form was the game being played out in front of an attendance more akin to that of a Tinpot Trophy match.

The fans seem to have given up, apathy reigns. The number in the ground has now seemingly dropped below the figure usually attributed as being the "absolute hardcore" of supporters, with numerous season-ticket holders absent and another load planning not to renew if online posts are to be believed. The SOB, for all their online rhetoric only managed to convince a pathetic total of about 30 people to join in with their "mass demonstration" (for comparison, that's comfortably less than 50% of the Cheltenham away following who faced a 7 hour round trip and had to pay for the privilege...). The online arguments have become cyclical and depressing and the SOB and non-SOB are now becoming increasingly polarised. It's very, very disheartening to witness.

As for the team, it's hard to criticise a squad ravaged by injury, lack of form, lack of experience and who are being forced into action, often out of position through absolute necessity. BFSE and his sidekick Raynor still remain at the club and continue to trot out the "we'll keep fighting" line, but what else can they realistically do in the current circumstances? Frankly, I am amazed they're still here given BFSE's comments after the Cup replay defeat to Cheltenham, kudos to them for continuing to try and rescue this farcical situation.

Tomorrow, we face Pompey who themselves are on a decent run, six unbeaten and having won their last three. Since 2000 we've met 17 times, Pompey leading by 7 wins to 5. The last time we beat them at Priestfield was Boxing Day 2018, a 2-0 win when they were flying high at the top of the table, what chance a repeat tomorrow? Slim I think.

Of course there's the usual "curse of the ex-player" to worry about with the returning Connor Ogilvie having become a fixture of the Portsmouth backline (doesn't seem such a "sideways" move now) alongside Mahlon Romeo who, since he was rashly released by us in 2015, has racked up 170+ league appearances for Millwall and Pompey. There is also the figure of former loanee John Marquis (only 3 career goals against us, feels like more) who must be relishing the opportunity to add to four goals he's scored so far this season.

Good luck and safe journeys to anyone attending tomorrow, I hope the weather is kind to you. As for the result, I've resigned myself to defeat already, it's easier to accept when the inevitable happens and anything other than a tonking will be a bonus. I just hope there are not fewer home fans than away fans, that would be a very sad marker of how far we've fallen.

COYG!

Where do we go from here? Despite an apparently improved performance and playing-style on Tuesday night against Cheltenham, the outcome was identical to our weekend defeat by the worst team in the league. More worrying than our increasingly poor form was the game being played out in front of an attendance more akin to that of a Tinpot Trophy match.

The fans seem to have given up, apathy reigns. The number in the ground has now seemingly dropped below the figure usually attributed as being the "absolute hardcore" of supporters, with numerous season-ticket holders absent and another load planning not to renew if online posts are to be believed. The SOB, for all their online rhetoric only managed to convince a pathetic total of about 30 people to join in with their "mass demonstration" (for comparison, that's comfortably less than 50% of the Cheltenham away following who faced a 7 hour round trip and had to pay for the privilege...). The online arguments have become cyclical and depressing and the SOB and non-SOB are now becoming increasingly polarised. It's very, very disheartening to witness.

As for the team, it's hard to criticise a squad ravaged by injury, lack of form, lack of experience and who are being forced into action, often out of position through absolute necessity. BFSE and his sidekick Raynor still remain at the club and continue to trot out the "we'll keep fighting" line, but what else can they realistically do in the current circumstances? Frankly, I am amazed they're still here given BFSE's comments after the Cup replay defeat to Cheltenham, kudos to them for continuing to try and rescue this farcical situation.

Tomorrow, we face Pompey who themselves are on a decent run, six unbeaten and having won their last three. Since 2000 we've met 17 times, Pompey leading by 7 wins to 5. The last time we beat them at Priestfield was Boxing Day 2018, a 2-0 win when they were flying high at the top of the table, what chance a repeat tomorrow? Slim I think.

Of course there's the usual "curse of the ex-player" to worry about with the returning Connor Ogilvie having become a fixture of the Portsmouth backline (doesn't seem such a "sideways" move now) alongside Mahlon Romeo who, since he was rashly released by us in 2015, has racked up 170+ league appearances for Millwall and Pompey. There is also the figure of former loanee John Marquis (only 3 career goals against us, feels like more) who must be relishing the opportunity to add to four goals he's scored so far this season.

Good luck and safe journeys to anyone attending tomorrow, I hope the weather is kind to you. As for the result, I've resigned myself to defeat already, it's easier to accept when the inevitable happens and anything other than a tonking will be a bonus. I just hope there are not fewer home fans than away fans, that would be a very sad marker of how far we've fallen.

COYG!
Well that cheered me up no end.
:-)

Just the sort of game we will win 1-0. Although if its not then I can see us getting a thumping by 3 or 4 goals.

Roll on April

On a brighter note perhaps we should build a squad with the longer term in mind.Having four or five teenagers who could make a impact in the league in a year or two makes me wonder how we can develop them.I take it the youngest can go out on youth loan or stay with us without additional towards our 24 players.Youth loans can be recalled during the season at any time.

Woods and Maghoma need to be recalled in January and sold/free to leave or used as squad players. Lintott is one I would like to see get more experience ready for a real shot at the first team next year. For that to happen we of course need more players back from injury. In order to send anyone at all out on loan we of course need more players available. But I feel the current crop of youngsters need experience to really help us.

See, I’m not a fan of putting our best young prospects out on loan, purely to take other clubs prospects and develop them.
Because a young player happens to be at a championship club, it doesn’t necessarily follow that he’d be more advanced than our players of the same age.
This division comes across the odd gem like Brennan Johnson at loan at Lincoln last season, but most of them are much of a muchness.
I’d always give our 18 year old priority over another club’s 18 year old unless he was exceptional.

So Cumming, Jackson ,Tucker ,McKenzie, O'Keefe,
Phillips, Adshead,Carayol, Lloyd?Akinde, Lintott ,Akehurst ,Chapman and Sithole .Should be available tomorrow. I was wondering if we could go with a back three and wing backs?

So Cumming, Jackson ,Tucker ,McKenzie, O'Keefe,
Phillips, Adshead,Carayol, Lloyd?Akinde, Lintott ,Akehurst ,Chapman and Sithole .Should be available tomorrow. I was wondering if we could go with a back three and wing backs?

Who would be the three? And the wing backs?

Is Jack Tucker the only recognised CB in that list?

Ive got a bad feeling about this game…

Just a guess Jackson O'Keefe Tucker McKenzie Akehurst or Lintott Jackson Tucker O'Keefe McKenzie or Lintott Jackson Tucker McKenzie Akehurst.
Massive responsibility for Tucker tomorrow.Akinde is also important at set pieces.

The other way could be to simply move McKenzie across .This will of course mean that Akehurst will have to start but would have the benefit of have three regular players of a normal four.Or O'Keefe back to centre back which of course could mean McKenzie continuing at left back.

Last edited:
John Akinde...boy does he owe us a performance.

That's the worst thing about him, we have on very rare occasions seen that he can be utterly unplayable, but this season he's barely offered a goal threat with a single goal in 16 appearances, that's a ratio that makes Gary Mulligan look like Ibrahimovic.

John Akinde...boy does he owe us a performance.

That's the worst thing about him, we have on very rare occasions seen that he can be utterly unplayable, but this season he's barely offered a goal threat with a single goal in 16 appearances, that's a ratio that makes Gary Mulligan look like Ibrahimovic.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Jon Akinde win us a game on the back of power and dominating the centre halves causing mayhem, and maybe a goal or 2 or setting them up.

It just doesn’t often look like he’s got that in him tho…

Come on Jon 👍

The other way could be to simply move McKenzie across .This will of course mean that Akehurst will have to start but would have the benefit of have three regular player of a normal four.Or O'Keefe back to centre back which of course could mean McKenzie continuing at left back.

All options I suppose Chris. Unfortunately none of them inspire confidence in me. We really didn’t need for both Ehmer and Bennett to be missing with no obvious, experienced replacement.

My opinion is that midfield is our strongest card (despite Dempsey absence).

So I’d be playing 4-2-3-1. 5 midfielders.

Pick the 2 best holding midfielders to protect a weakened back 4.

Then our 3 best attacking midfielders to assist JA. Definitely Carayol and Lloyd in that 3.

And if it ain’t working, switch back to a straight 4-4-2 and give Sithole a decent chance alongside Akinde for the last 20 or 30 mins.

I’d be brilliant at this managerial mullarky 👍

All options I suppose Chris. Unfortunately none of them inspire confidence in me. We really didn’t need for both Ehmer and Bennett to be missing with no obvious, experienced replacement.

My opinion is that midfield is our strongest card (despite Dempsey absence).

So I’d be playing 4-2-3-1. 5 midfielders.

Pick the 2 best holding midfielders to protect a weakened back 4.

Then our 3 best attacking midfielders to assist JA. Definitely Carayol and Lloyd in that 3.

And if it ain’t working, switch back to a straight 4-4-2 and give Sithole a decent chance alongside Akinde for the last 20 or 30 mins.

I’d be brilliant at this managerial mullarky 👍
Judging on Tuesday I would think Carayol will not last that long so I would suspect that he and Lloyd might have to share 90 minutes. Anymore would be a bonus in my book.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Jon Akinde win us a game on the back of power and dominating the centre halves causing mayhem, and maybe a goal or 2 or setting them up.

It just doesn’t often look like he’s got that in him tho…

Come on Jon 👍

Pompey have got defensive worries with Raggett and a couple of others out apparently. Akinde has to step up today.