Evans to Stevenage... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

I'd like to think this is just an instance of the great dance which has been played out between Chairmen and Managers since the dawn of time, but it sounds like both parties are ready for Mr. Evans to walk. If so, just keep it civilized, Gents. You've managed so far.

I'd like to add that I am available to run the show until the end of the season. I'm proficient at Zoom and Canvas, can handle breakouts, and am sure I could adjust to Microsoft Teams pretty quickly too. I'd need all kick offs after 6 pm GMT, however.

If Evans were to go now, I'd view it as quite a gutless/quitter move TBH, maybe even an admission of his failure this season.

"a chance to win"...?

Injuries aside, these players ARE a competitive squad (albeit lacking up top):

Cumming, Chapman
Jackson, Ehmer, Tucker, McKenzie, Bennett, Tutonda
Lloyd, MacDonald, Dempsey, Phillips, O'Keefe, Lee, Carayol, Adshead, Reeves
Oliver, Akinde

That some are injured right now is seemingly no-one's fault.

We've heard a lot of shoulder to shoulder/trenches/dig in/fight talk previously...

Now's the time to stand up & be counted, not to walk away.

I guess it depends on what SE has or hasn't been promised by PS (and we'll probably never know). Can't see him walking for the sake of it without him thinking its justified.

Clearly been a breakdown in the relationship, unsurprisingly.

Not surprised we're in this situation, just surprised it's taken this long tbh.

Give it a year and we will be mentioned in his usual PR rhetoric of "I've managed some wonderful clubs like Leeds & Peterborough, and worked for some chairmen who do a wonderful job like MacAnthony & Paul Scally with whom I had a wonderful, wonderful relationship"

I have often judged managers on what they have left behind. But I do feel some sympathy for Steve Evans because of pre season. There were mistakes sure but going into a season without a proper pre season would definitely have affected the squad fitness wise.It has been said many times by many different people how important pre season is.I have heard the interview clip a few times now and I am still not clear of exactly what is said such as his accent and my hearing.

Having watched the whole interview on iFollow, I'm somewhat reassured SE still has the stomach for the fight (no pun intended).

He's obviously disappointed to lose but the twitter-based snippet posted earlier in this thread is an inaccurate representation of the whole interview IMO.

Despondent, yes (understandable)
Deserting, not yet (hopefully!)

QPR will have another league 1 or 2 club lined up for January

Hopefully Stevenage... ;)

He seems seriously pissed off.
Now, who’s idea was it at the start of the season to run with a small but quality squad.
My recollection is that it was SE.
Who could have thought that we would have this level of injuries?
Certainly not me.
It’s unprecedented.
So he really has no option but to play who’s fit.
I sympathise but it’s of Steve Evan’s making.
He knew the playing budget before a ball was kicked.

I’m a big BFSE fan, but I cannot understand why he’d consider playing a goalkeeper in an outfield position when we have senior professionals out on loan. Maghoma and Woods could do a job.

I guess it depends on what SE has or hasn't been promised by PS (and we'll probably never know). Can't see him walking for the sake of it without him thinking its justified.

Clearly been a breakdown in the relationship, unsurprisingly.

Not surprised we're in this situation, just surprised it's taken this long tbh.
Nothing to do with promises.
The budget is set before the season.
If SE didn’t like it, then was the time to walk.
He told us ages ago that there was no more money available.
If we hadn’t had the injury problems, he’d have nothing to complain about.
I don’t see the injuries as Scally’s fault.

Having watched the whole interview on iFollow, I'm somewhat reassured SE still has the stomach for the fight (no pun intended).

He's obviously disappointed to lose but the twitter-based snippet posted earlier in this thread is an inaccurate representation of the whole interview IMO.

Despondent, yes (understandable)
Deserting, not yet (hopefully!)

Hopefully Stevenage... ;)
Sorry Fish but I think he’s off perhaps unless Scally can convince him that he’ll back him in the January window.
Injuries are the main problem now. Lack of proper preseason has contributed to that, plus volume of games with a small squad leading to players having to play more and therefore have more chance of getting injured.
Signing too many injury prone players also / although I think the budget is a factor in that, as these players will be on less money if they have a potted injury history.
I personally only think he’s lasted here this long as the first season was ended early due to Covid, and last season was very unusual with no crowds present at games, so 2 atypical seasons.
This is the most normal season so far since he’s been here, even though Covid messed up our preseason program.

Sorry Fish but I think he’s off perhaps unless Scally can convince him that he’ll back him in the January window.
Injuries are the main problem now. Lack of proper preseason has contributed to that, plus volume of games with a small squad leading to players having to play more and therefore have more chance of getting injured.
Signing too many injury prone players also / although I think the budget is a factor in that, as these players will be on less money if they have a potted injury history.
I personally only think he’s lasted here this long as the first season was ended early due to Covid, and last season was very unusual with no crowds present at games, so 2 atypical seasons.
This is the most normal season so far since he’s been here, even though Covid messed up our preseason program.
On players wages, we are 14th in the division.
The myth about Gills paying peanuts is just not true.

Nothing to do with promises.
The budget is set before the season.
If SE didn’t like it, then was the time to walk.
He told us ages ago that there was no more money available.
If we hadn’t had the injury problems, he’d have nothing to complain about.
I don’t see the injuries as Scally’s fault.

IMO this is more than just about the injuries. The two f them have been having digs for a few weeks now, PS in his Chairmans chats and SE via his pre after match interviews. Something has gone on in the last few weeks where the mood between the two has soured. Whether it's the Kelman debacle or what who knows, but the difference of opinion has widened recently IMO.

Wasn’t that average wages though. So because we have a small squad the high earners (Dempsey, Akinde etc) lift the average up. Other teams have more players earning lesser amounts perhaps.

The key factor is this is Evans squad he recruited the players. The squad isn't balanced and I don't believe SE has recruited wisely in his time with us. Too many loanees haven't shaped up neither have some of SEs former players that he signed.
Whilst he can't forsee injuries signing players prone to injury doesn't help.

On players wages, we are 14th in the division.
The myth about Gills paying peanuts is just not true.

What is they say about statistics? I think there is a lot of careful words used when scally wag talks about our budget. I think he describes it in a particular way which whilst true isn't the way Evans sees it.

Bottom line is Cheltenham signed players we couldn't afford to. Are we suggesting their budget is higher than 14th ?

The key factor is this is Evans squad he recruited the players. The squad isn't balanced and I don't believe SE has recruited wisely in his time with us. Too many loanees haven't shaped up neither have some of SEs former players that he signed.
Yes I agree to an extent. Evans will say he didn’t have the budget to sign better, Scally would disagree as he did in his last chat with that form he was holding about the budgets of all the clubs.

Give it a year and we will be mentioned in his usual PR rhetoric of "I've managed some wonderful clubs like Leeds & Peterborough, and worked for some chairmen who do a wonderful job like MacAnthony & Paul Scally with whom I had a wonderful, wonderful relationship"

He was praising us before he got the job. If he leaves (highly likely) it's a huge opportunity missed. Certain Gills fans hate to say it but Evans and his 'us against the world ' approach suits us down to the ground. His speech ahead of the Plymouth game after the terror attack showed huge class. Here's a clip of his 'usual rhetoric' summing us up perfectly before he got the job.

I’ve got not issue with loanees not working out. It’s a low risk investment because you can ship them out easily if they don’t work out. We’ve also had a few loans that have worked out very well like Phillips and Cumming this season.

But you are on the money with the balance of the squad.

I'd like to think this is just an instance of the great dance which has been played out between Chairmen and Managers since the dawn of time, but it sounds like both parties are ready for Mr. Evans to walk. If so, just keep it civilized, Gents. You've managed so far.

I'd like to add that I am available to run the show until the end of the season. I'm proficient at Zoom and Canvas, can handle breakouts, and am sure I could adjust to Microsoft Teams pretty quickly too. I'd need all kick offs after 6 pm GMT, however.

happy to be your assistant as I’m competent with teams, so we’d be able to cover all ground.