Evans to Stevenage... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

If Evans goes we are in a difficult position with few advantages and not much time. We can't afford to lose momentum on the playing side.. A popular figure like Smith would stand as much chance of picking up points as any other candidate we might realistically appoint quickly. As a fan I'd have chosen for Evans to stay until May but that is loking increasingly unlikely.

A cheeky thought, might Kelman return if his departure was due to issues with Raynor/Evans.

A cheeky thought, might Kelman return if his departure was due to issues with Raynor/Evans.

I'd imagine QPR will have another league 1 or 2 club lined up for January especially if he keeps scoring for the U23s (4 in two games I believe).

Smith to the end of the season makes sense. A trial run for scally.

I'd imagine QPR will have another league 1 or 2 club lined up for January especially if he keeps scoring for the U23s (4 in two games I believe).

Smith to the end of the season makes sense. A trial run for scally.

I was teasing regarding Kelman but technically he remains one of our loanees until January.

I don't recall seeing anyone argue that we should be going for Smith, just pointing out that he's been seen at our games and suggesting that Scally may be lining him up.
I’m not sure its all that amusing ?! Just pointing out managers that happen to be available and have had success of sorts just recently. Not ex player managers on their way down.
😀

His whole interview post-match last night is available to watch on iFollow. Makes several references to Scally and how he’s unhappy about comments made recently about how many players he has available, and how that reflects on him and Paul Raynor. There’s clearly issues between Chairman and manager, perhaps now is the time he’s decided to leave provided Scally reaches agreement with Stevenage that he can go.

With our current injury position, we're nothing other than relegation candidates regardless of who is the manager. There can be little hope of any team selection consistency in the near future, we're just sending out whoever can still stand from match to match.

We're averaging a point a game so far which is pretty much relegation form and most of those came before the injuries began to bite. If Evans wants to leave us at this juncture, I wouldn't be surprised or particularly disappointed to be honest. The thought of him signing and then partially discarding another load of players in January doesn't really appeal to me.

His whole interview post-match last night is available to watch on iFollow. Makes several references to Scally and how he’s unhappy about comments made recently about how many players he has available, and how that reflects on him and Paul Raynor. There’s clearly issues between Chairman and manager, perhaps now is the time he’s decided to leave provided Scally reaches agreement with Stevenage that he can go.
He seems seriously pissed off.
Now, who’s idea was it at the start of the season to run with a small but quality squad.
My recollection is that it was SE.
Who could have thought that we would have this level of injuries?
Certainly not me.
It’s unprecedented.
So he really has no option but to play who’s fit.
I sympathise but it’s of Steve Evan’s making.
He knew the playing budget before a ball was kicked.

He seems seriously pissed off.
Now, who’s idea was it at the start of the season to run with a small but quality squad.
My recollection is that it was SE.
Who could have thought that we would have this level of injuries?
Certainly not me.
It’s unprecedented.
So he really has no option but to play who’s fit.
I sympathise but it’s of Steve Evan’s making.
He knew the playing budget before a ball was kicked.

It was SE - he said quality over quantity

Blimey, that doesn’t sound good. - thanks for sharing that as I don’t get round to watching those interviews

If Evans were to go now, I'd view it as quite a gutless/quitter move TBH, maybe even an admission of his failure this season.

"a chance to win"...?

Injuries aside, these players ARE a competitive squad (albeit lacking up top):

Cumming, Chapman
Jackson, Ehmer, Tucker, McKenzie, Bennett, Tutonda
Lloyd, MacDonald, Dempsey, Phillips, O'Keefe, Lee, Carayol, Adshead, Reeves
Oliver, Akinde

That some are injured right now is seemingly no-one's fault.

We've heard a lot of shoulder to shoulder/trenches/dig in/fight talk previously...

Now's the time to stand up & be counted, not to walk away.

Why does he need motivating? He has his targets and presumably is reviewed against them. I never needed motivation in my job it was down to me!!

I think that's exactly the point he is making. I know people may read it as a dig at Scally (or someone else) for not motivating him but I don't think it is that .

He is clearly frustrated at having to play the kids though.

The simple fact that we can't compete with Cheltenham (no disrespect) in terms of players shows the state we are in.

If we go down this year I think next year will be a real struggle as well.

"a chance to win"...?

Injuries aside, these players ARE a competitive squad (albeit lacking up top):

Problem is the central recurring theme of this season is injuries so we can't say "injuries aside". On paper its a small but decent squad, its just been decimated by injuries.

Evans needs a job for next season, highly unlikely to be here so I wouldn't blame him for signing a 2-3 deal somewhere else. You couldn't blame him for securing his future.

Last edited: