Evans gets results | Page 5 | Vital Football

Evans gets results

I meant players on long term contracts not the manager. Give us the chance to develop, SELL and reinvest. That could be a sustainable model for a lower league team.

Ah, sorry Mark. Misunderstood.

That may work, but also stands the big chance of failure and ridicule. We haven’t had a lot of success with long term, young players going on to very successful careers and a nice fat transfer fee.

Bradley Dack and then daylight it seems.

I’m not sure what Peterborough do to persuade all their new signings to sign for 3 or 5 years. Most other clubs at our level don’t achieve that.

The Peterborough or Crewe models do seem quite decent. But TBF neither of those clubs have achieved much more than we have long term. Taken Boro many seasons of paying for and signing quality players to finally get up. And they just might come straight back down.

I think unless the whole structure of English football changes, the power will remain with players, and lower league clubs will purely be 1 or 2 year stepping stones for half decent players unless a huge wad is thrown at them. Only lesser players will be willing to sign for longer.

I meant players on long term contracts not the manager. Give us the chance to develop, SELL and reinvest. That could be a sustainable model for a lower league team.

Transfer fees are a thing of the past since COVID. The model doesn’t exist anymore. Even when it did exist, not many clubs could make it work; and those that did had to invest a fortune. In fact, I can only recall Peterborough making the model work.

Transfer fees are a thing of the past since COVID. The model doesn’t exist anymore. Even when it did exist, not many clubs could make it work; and those that did had to invest a fortune. In fact, I can only recall Peterborough making the model work.

Then I think clubs like us are on a path to administration. Hard to believe that we can survive on gates of 4,000 for an extended period of time.

Scally used to say we need £500K from player windfalls a year to break even. If that revenue stream has gone what replaces it ?

Then I think clubs like us are on a path to administration. Hard to believe that we can survive on gates of 4,000 for an extended period of time.

Scally used to say we need £500K from player windfalls a year to break even. If that revenue stream has gone what replaces it ?
Quite simply match the outgoings to incomings.
Only spend what we earn.
Operate as every other business in the country has to.
If that means relegation etc then so be it.
It may be a choice between a club in league two or lower or no club.
The same will apply to most football clubs.

Only spend what we earn.

Wait. What?

Isn’t Scally supposed to “invest” and spend millions we haven’t got on players and stuff? Isn’t that how it works any more….

Only spend what we earn.

Yep thats all true. Interesting to see the accounts for last season (must be significant loss) and this. Be a few years before we get to see them.

Really hard to see us staying in league one for long though

Yep thats all true. Interesting to see the accounts for last season (must be significant loss) and this. Be a few years before we get to see them.

Really hard to see us staying in league one for long though
Hopefully there will be four teams worse than us come next May.

Evans is an awful man if you think this guy is the future of football you deserve all you get. He has regard or respect for no one.he has tossed more money away than any other manager just watch his Merry go round tactics. Where is our Gillingham youth ??

Agree K; This was the point I was trying to make when pointing out the 'toxic' atmosphere around the club at present derives from SE(and PR) You can see this from the steady decline in 'crowds' and the greater 'toxic'responses on this forum.
Decline will continue until things change - ask yourself 'why would any irregular supporters or lapsed ST holders come back to Priestfield this season' with the SE/PR behaviour, poor atmosphere (partc for kids) poor football, no local hero players, and now poorer results.
I'll keep my ST going and look forward to attending all games again in Jan (if SE walks) or next August, hopefully with a home game with MK Dons
Till then I'll opt out of the Forum; keep the faith

Agree K; This was the point I was trying to make when pointing out the 'toxic' atmosphere around the club at present derives from SE(and PR) You can see this from the steady decline in 'crowds' and the greater 'toxic'responses on this forum.
Decline will continue until things change - ask yourself 'why would any irregular supporters or lapsed ST holders come back to Priestfield this season' with the SE/PR behaviour, poor atmosphere (partc for kids) poor football, no local hero players, and now poorer results.
I'll keep my ST going and look forward to attending all games again in Jan (if SE walks) or next August, hopefully with a home game with MK Dons
Till then I'll opt out of the Forum; keep the faith
I totally agree Bronchos I saw it when he came and I’m surprised he’s lasted so long. His style will always end in tears at some point. Ferguson may have been a very strong character and ruled with an iron fist but he had class and kept his players out of trouble and had a very solid back up team and playing staff. Evans keeps swopping and changing every window it’s a total merry go round. I won’t accept that he even came close to what JED did when he had us playing some great football when we were top of the league albeit for half a season - but boy some of that was good. Even big Steve gave us some great days out with the FA cup run and again the man had some class. Evans and Rayner will only be mid table they’ve made some good signing ms but some bad and wasted money which has been p.... down the drain. I haven’t been back and won’t watch this dross hoofball he’s playing - and there are many like me dwindling crowds. Scally has backed this guy IMO. Il be back when he gets sacked - and we get someone in who cares about the club and not just their wage packet

‘Evans and Raynor will only be mid table’
That’ll do for the vast majority of Gills fans.
Judging by there already being three official home league attendances of less than 4,000, it doesn't any more. And unofficially there were fewer than 3,000 yesterday.

I totally agree Bronchos I saw it when he came and I’m surprised he’s lasted so long. His style will always end in tears at some point. Ferguson may have been a very strong character and ruled with an iron fist but he had class and kept his players out of trouble and had a very solid back up team and playing staff. Evans keeps swopping and changing every window it’s a total merry go round. I won’t accept that he even came close to what JED did when he had us playing some great football when we were top of the league albeit for half a season - but boy some of that was good. Even big Steve gave us some great days out with the FA cup run and again the man had some class. Evans and Rayner will only be mid table they’ve made some good signing ms but some bad and wasted money which has been p.... down the drain. I haven’t been back and won’t watch this dross hoofball he’s playing - and there are many like me dwindling crowds. Scally has backed this guy IMO. Il be back when he gets sacked - and we get someone in who cares about the club and not just their wage packet
So you didn't watch when we were dross from 1988 to 1995 either then (assuming you're old enough to have gone).

Jeez where to start. Are you seriously comparing SE and Ferguson? They're working in separate universes.

We knew what we were getting when PS appointed SE, so if you were against his appointment why leave it till over two years in to walk away?

SE operating methods are no different to MA or TP, two of our most successful managers in PS time here. If you know anything about football management you'd know that all players need handling differently,some need a kick us the arse weekly some needed a constant arm round the shoulder. If you get it wrong it can end as Kelman appears to have. Players and managers telling each other to "fuck off" is common place.I f Kelman has gone there's more to this that just that single incident.

If you've worked as closely with players as you claim to have, you'd also know the a football club is not a normal working environment, the way players, managers talk to each other would not be tolerated in most other work places. I'll refer you again to MA and TP as two of the worst for it, but they brought relative success. JED may have got us playing some good football, but his training methods towards the end of his time here (he was here for a shorter period than SE) were fucking shocking, oh, and he signed JET!

Has SE made mistakes, got poor signings in, played hoofball and got things wrong, of course he has but name me a Gillingham manager that hasn't in the last 40 years.

I wasn't a fan of SE appointment but IMO I shudder to think where we'd be if he hadn't been here for the last couple of years given what's gone on in the world in that time and the mess the club appears to be in off the field and budget he's been working too. We only have I think (without checking) 17 contracted players.

I guess fairly soon we'll see where we go without SE but I fear when he leaves it will be south fairly rapidly.

Last edited:
Jeez where to start. Are you seriously comparing SE and Ferguson? They're working in separate universes.

We knew what we were getting when PS appointed SE, so if you were against his appointment why leave it till over two years in to walk away?

SE operating methods are no different to MA or TP, two of our most successful managers in PS time here. If you know anything about football management you'd know that all players need handling differently,some need a kick us the arse weekly some needed a constant arm round the shoulder. If you get it wrong it can end as Kelman appears to have. Players and managers telling each other to "fuck off" is common place.I f Kelman has gone there's more to this that just that single incident.

If you've worked as closely with players as you claim to have, you'd also know the a football club is not a normal working environment, the way players, managers talk to each other would not be tolerated in most other work places. I'll refer you again to MA and TP as two of the worst for it, but they brought relative success. JED may have got us playing some good football, but his training methods towards the end of his time here (he was here for a shorter period than SE) were fucking shocking, oh, and he signed JET!

Has SE made mistakes, got poor signings in, played hoofball and got things wrong, of course he has but name me a Gillingham manager that hasn't in the last 40 years.

I wasn't a fan of SE appointment but IMO I shudder to think where we'd be if he hadn't been here for the last couple of years given what's gone on in the world in that time and the mess the club appears to be in off the field and budget he's been working too. We only have I think (without checking) 17 contracted players.

I guess fairly soon we'll see where we go without SE but I fear when he leaves it will be south fairly rapidly.
Excellent, well reasoned and balanced post imo Captain.

But they weren’t always working in different universes - SE managed Leeds in the same manner as he has managed every other club - he did his Merry go round move players in and move players out in abundance he never actually coached players to Cellino kicked him and Rayner out after 7 months . Not all football club managers use the verbal language like evans does - he’s dreadful even amongst the home supporters around the dugouts - I’ve never heard anyone as bad as he.My point is - he’s old hat a dinosaur and the world is changing and football will have to follow suit like it or not. There won’t be room for the Alladyces warnocks etc Evans of the world - thank god - no decency no morals. I don’t want them associated with my club or any English professional club for that matter. Also referring to your comment re ‘all players need handling differently’Evans only knows one way ! Tbh you will never know what might have happened to the club if Evans had not been appointed - thats speculation all round. I wouldn’t wish the club or players any ills regardless who is in charge - but Evans or his type are not for me.

Did BFSE get the decision right on Garmston? Looking at Bradley’s Wikipedia page, it looks like he hasn’t played a great deal since he was released from Gillingham. Whether that is because of injury or capability is beside the point - clearly a shrewd decision by BFSE.

Similar can be said for Elliot List. Not done much in his career either - and we got a fee for him!

No doubt BFSE make mistakes but what I do like about him is that he quickly moves to correct those mistakes (what you refer to as a merry-go-round). Previous Gills managers would keep the dead wood on the books.

But they weren’t always working in different universes - SE managed Leeds in the same manner as he has managed every other club - he did his Merry go round move players in and move players out in abundance he never actually coached players to Cellino kicked him and Rayner out after 7 months . Not all football club managers use the verbal language like evans does - he’s dreadful even amongst the home supporters around the dugouts - I’ve never heard anyone as bad as he.My point is - he’s old hat a dinosaur and the world is changing and football will have to follow suit like it or not. There won’t be room for the Alladyces warnocks etc Evans of the world - thank god - no decency no morals. I don’t want them associated with my club or any English professional club for that matter. Also referring to your comment re ‘all players need handling differently’Evans only knows one way ! Tbh you will never know what might have happened to the club if Evans had not been appointed - thats speculation all round. I wouldn’t wish the club or players any ills regardless who is in charge - but Evans or his type are not for me.
Apart from perhaps the language, how did/do you feel about Pulis? His record in how he left us and his behaviour in various matters in football afterwards (especially at Palace) and his 'style' of football is as bad or worse imo. Just wondering.

I heard from a ref that Hess was a nightmare on the pitch and lovely off it. So far, Evans seems to be a 'mare during games but fine (at least in public to us fans) outside game time.

Fair enough the football aint pretty but give him Pep's budget and it might be nicer. Used to make me laugh when Furguson moaned about Wimbledon. I wonder what he would have done if resources were swapped.