Chairmans Chat... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Chairmans Chat...

If Scally and Evans aren’t happy at the negative Social Media reaction now, I dare them to sell two of our best players to Charlton and see what happens then - not only a team in the same division, which is a slap in the face anyway, but to a local rival who Scally himself has had issues with previously…

Depends if that money is used to strengthen the squad with signings but as OSK says time would be against us, unless the targets are all lined up and we just need the domino affect to make the signings happen.

I'm not sure we will sell them though - recent track record is to allow contracts to run down without to much angst from the club

Depends if that money is used to strengthen the squad with signings but as OSK says time would be against us, unless the targets are all lined up and we just need the domino affect to make the signings happen.

I'm not sure we will sell them though - recent track record is to allow contracts to run down without to much angst from the club

Dunno about “letting contracts run down”. Do you think we should sell Dempsey for the £200k just so he doesn’t walk for nothing?

I don’t mind us selling, but it needs to be a reasonable fee. It depends what PS or SE think is reasonable. AND, if we’d sell to Charlton.

I think it’s wrong to categorise what the club does as “letting contracts run down”. What we do know is that the club have made contract offers to players towards the end of their contracts. What I don’t understand is a logic that says a player won’t sign a new contract at the end of their existing contract but would sign an extension half way through. What possible reason would they have for doing that ?

Dunno about “letting contracts run down”. Do you think we should sell Dempsey for the £200k just so he doesn’t walk for nothing?

I don’t mind us selling, but it needs to be a reasonable fee. It depends what PS or SE think is reasonable. AND, if we’d sell to Charlton.

Depends on the level of add ons I think. 20% of future profit, another £100K after x appearances, etc. etc.

The other factor is what realistically are we aiming for this season. I believe playoffs are way beyond realistic expectations so then it becomes can we stay up without him ?

I'd like to think we'd get more than 200K for him.

Would you sell for 500K plus add ons ?

I think it’s wrong to categorise what the club does as “letting contracts run down”. What we do know is that the club have made contract offers to players towards the end of their contracts. What I don’t understand is a logic that says a player won’t sign a new contract at the end of their existing contract but would sign an extension half way through. What possible reason would they have for doing that ?

Increased wages and job security ?

If you want to tempt a player to sign an extension you have to do it before their heads have been turned by another club.

That's the gamble the club has to make. It's really difficult with limited resources

I'd like to think we'd get more than 200K for him.

Would you sell for 500K plus add ons ?

Probably. If the add ons were good, yes.

He’s a very good player Kyle Dempsey, but I think we are quite well served in mid-field. And if him going meant we could get a quality (I mean quality) striker in then I’d be ok with it.

But with a week(?) left in the transfer market, it would be tough to replace the m and we’d be a lot worse off.

2 days, I think, doesn't the window close on the 31st August?

That said, presumably we wouldn't be paying fees for anyone, only signing out of contract players. I may be wrong, but I think those players can be signed even when the window's closed.

Just trying to think of recent players who have signed contract extensions whilst at the club.

I think Jack Tucker did, and Max in his first spell.

Just as it's tough for clubs it is just as hard, if not harder, for the players. Mortgages, families, huge uncertainty. I wouldn't fancy it.

Just trying to think of recent players who have signed contract extensions whilst at the club.

I think Jack Tucker did, and Max in his first spell.

Just as it's tough for clubs it is just as hard, if not harder, for the players. Mortgages, families, huge uncertainty. I wouldn't fancy it.

It must be. And any “middling” type or older players would probably happily sign extensions. Like MacDonald (?) and O’Keefe have just done.

But when it comes to the better players who know they will have offers higher up the chain it becomes a no-brainer to let contracts run down. Then move on and all that transfer money goes into their (and their agents) pocket instead.

Some of these might be considered wrong or at least debatable.
We have a chairman for all his faults cares about the club.
We appear to be solvent at least for now.
We have some very useful (at very least) young players who at very least will strengthen the squad without damaging the bank balance too much.
On that note we appear to have a good youth set up given the numbers of useful players they are producing.

I would like to thank the chairman for his latest offering. I am not on Twitter. May I suggest that if Twitter does represent a major problem then the club considers withdrawing from it.Social media is a great asset if used positively but we appear to have a problem according to Mr Scally.
This is the only medium I write on about the Gills .For now given the attacks do appear to have gone too far .I will largely keep my council. I have never believed it would be in the clubs interest to drive the chairman away.As far as I am concerned he still has my support all be it with reservations.

I would like to thank the chairman for his latest offering. I am not on Twitter. May I suggest that if Twitter does represent a major problem then the club considers withdrawing from it.Social media is a great asset if used positively but we appear to have a problem according to Mr Scally.
This is the only medium I write on about the Gills .For now given the attacks do appear to have gone too far .I will largely keep my council. I have never believed it would be in the clubs interest to drive the chairman away.As far as I am concerned he still has my support all be it with reservations.

I dont do twitter either, but facebook is used by some to put over their nasty comments! It normally ends up with a squabble that you just sit back and wait for the next comment!

I dont do twitter either, but facebook is used by some to put over their nasty comments! It normally ends up with a squabble that you just sit back and wait for the next comment!

the Facebook fans forum is hilarious.

Over 3k subscribers, but the same 10 or 20 people keep posting the same drivel “Scally out”, “Evans out” and they are adamant that they are the majority of Gills fans.

Good one for sitting down with a box of popcorn 👍

the Facebook fans forum is hilarious.

Over 3k subscribers, but the same 10 or 20 people keep posting the same drivel “Scally out”, “Evans out” and they are adamant that they are the majority of Gills fans.

Good one for sitting down with a box of popcorn 👍

Over 3K subscribers - getting close to our attendances :-(

Over 3K subscribers - getting close to our attendances :-(

They did seriously put that forward as why they are so great!! Bigger than the club they reckon! More fans than Gills!

Forget the fact that GFC have about 55k subscribers and 4K attendance. They have 3.7k subscribers and about 50 posters (attendance).

You really couldn’t make up the shit on there, but they continuously do. I’m sure the main 2 or 3 protagonists see themselves as some kind of cult leaders.

But we were told by PS that the ship was ready to sail and is now in the best position it's been in for ages. That is clearly bullshit.

He simply cannot provide the finance that is required to take the club forward to match his own ambition.
Why is it his job to pay?