Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s

Potentially another game against Oxford with covod through the camp!

Covod aside, this is either the unluckiest or most injury prone lincoln team I can remember.

I really enjoyed that, should have been at least six ahead by the time they scored. Scully a real livewire, deserved the hat-trick. Nlundulu frustrating, but there is definitely a dangerous player in there - loved the way he kept dropping into No.10 territory to find the ball. And Bishop outstanding for 60 minutes - we really missed his control in the middle once he went off, a la Shrewsbury.

Hannibal looks a proper player despite being a narky little git - would like to see him on loan.

on paper good points but our ability to play our best team will be severely stretched. we might have zero strikers on Saturday!

This is the biggest problem rather than the quality of the players. I have no idea what has happened in the sports science department since Cowley left, but from the outside it looks a mess at the moment. We very rarely seem to have players out with broken bones, etc. It's usually muscular injuries (Walsh - quad, Scully - groin, Nlundulu - hamstring and so on). This needs to take priority over recruitment now for me.

I really enjoyed that, should have been at least six ahead by the time they scored. Scully a real livewire, deserved the hat-trick. Nlundulu frustrating, but there is definitely a dangerous player in there - loved the way he kept dropping into No.10 territory to find the ball. And Bishop outstanding for 60 minutes - we really missed his control in the middle once he went off, a la Shrewsbury.

Hannibal looks a proper player despite being a narky little git - would like to see him on loan.

is he injured if so get him on the coach to Oxford our injured ix has a bench to fill

We were involved in 61 games last season with a small squad, then a short break, bound to pick up these type injuries, they aren't getting any recovery time.

Last edited:
This is the biggest problem rather than the quality of the players. I have no idea what has happened in the sports science department since Cowley left, but from the outside it looks a mess at the moment. We very rarely seem to have players out with broken bones, etc. It's usually muscular injuries (Walsh - quad, Scully - groin, Nlundulu - hamstring and so on). This needs to take priority over recruitment now for me.

Cowley signed a certain pedigree of player different to Appleton, maybe that is the difference - or better technical players cost a lot more money and you have to accept a blemish in their record to sign them.

Some of the players such as Akinde, Bossie, Eardley never really recovered from the intensity. I would think Bostwick played numerous times when he should have been rested.

Cowley signed a certain pedigree of player different to Appleton, maybe that is the difference - or better technical players cost a lot more money and you have to accept a blemish in their record to sign them.

Some of the players such as Akinde, Bossie, Eardley never really recovered from the intensity. I would think Bostwick played numerous times when he should have been rested.

Perhaps - and we know this was the case with Habergham too. But one of the main purposes of the sports science team is to keep injuries to a minimum, and we haven't done that for a long time.

DC generally made the distinction between young players and those towards the end of their careers before 'asking' them to play.

It would be reasonable for MA to lean more towards caution given the average age of the squad and how his career ended.

As far as I can remember it’s the same people who worked with the Cowleys.

Some awful booing of taking the knee highlighted at Blackpool and Gillingham (surprise surprise) tonight. Was very positively received at Sincil Bank tonight before kick off.

That was a good £10 worth of entertainment. Bit strange to be sat in my seat surrounded by strangers, a good few dual supporters in.
Won’t repeat what’s already been said but I think N’Lundunu has something about him, very raw but a completely different type of player to Hopper. He’s not that much older than the opposition to be fair. Should have been out of sight before the last 20.
Blame me for the goal, I was just looking up the Man U players and read out McNeil the teenage goal machine and commented hadn’t noticed him when he promptly scored.
Finding it hard to think couldn’t find someone to go on the bench, Cann, Makoma are they injured as well? Wasn’t Tom Shaw available, Grant Brown?
Was thinking how poor their keeper was until he started making saves in the 2nd half, but noted he’s almost exactly the same age as Long.
Next Tuesday line up might be even more interesting, and would be a better test for Long

As I said before, not bothered by this competition. A bit disappointed to concede two late goals to a Man U team none of whom I have heard of despite having a strong XI on the pitch. Obviously naming only 3 subs doesn't help. Resilience is the big issue whether it is physical (player fitness) or game-management related (last 20 minutes of games).