Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s

That lovely day at Somerton Park….I had tried to forget that….hard to believe now but it did really happen. Young Imps probably think we are joking.

Indeed.

But genuinely don't know why Griffiths wasn't sent on !!
And being 7'6" he would surely have been a useful target man...

This game was, it seems, hoisted upon us quite last minute. We know that MA plans out 4,5,6 games ahead and will not want to change from that planning. He probably earmarked Jones for this game but he was sold on. He's taken a risk on a game which if we had lost most on here would have been pretty ambivalent about it. Job done tonight simple as that

Lots of positives out of that but the inability to defend a lead comfortably a worry, though as at Shrews it was a result of injury and circumstance.

The more we can play Bishop the better the season will be. Scully looks to be getting the consistency which has frustrated MA. Good game time for a few of the others, shout out for Longdon who reminded us there's a good player there, his challenge and cross for Scully's 3rd capped a fine performance.

I am not feeling massively optimistic about this season I think we are weaker then last year by a significant margin and to that the players seems to be very fragile.

Hope I am wrong tell me i am wrong.

Position for position:

Goalkeeper - worse on first impressions (I'll await the pitchforks)

Defence - same players with extra experience

Midfield - Same level? Bishop looks as good of a Grant replacement as we could have expected (if he stays fit). Sorensen judged to be better than Jones.

Wingers - Potential downgrade, although I'd argue Scully is more effective than Rogers despite Rogers being more talented. Adelakun not living up to Johnson's levels yet.

Strikers - Either the same or slight upgrade now that Nlundulu is here.

Overall, maybe a slight downgrade but I don't think we're miles away.

A good work out and minutes for the centre backs, Bishop and Fiorini.

You can see what N'Lundulu's game is about but he will need a fair bit of experience and match sharpness before he can become a consistent L1 player. We saw flashes of some good hold up play, but work rate/fitness and finishing to be worked on.

The last 25 minutes were a bit shambolic mainly due to squad fitness and injury issues, but overall a very enjoyable first hour with some excellent football played and confidence building to boot.

Fingers crossed on the injuries!

Position for position:

Goalkeeper - worse on first impressions (I'll await the pitchforks)

Defence - same players with extra experience

Midfield - Same level? Bishop looks as good of a Grant replacement as we could have expected (if he stays fit). Sorensen judged to be better than Jones.

Wingers - Potential downgrade, although I'd argue Scully is more effective than Rogers despite Rogers being more talented. Adelakun not living up to Johnson's levels yet.

Strikers - Either the same or slight upgrade now that Nlundulu is here.

Overall, maybe a slight downgrade but I don't think we're miles away.

on paper good points but our ability to play our best team will be severely stretched. we might have zero strikers on Saturday!

MA on Radio Lincs. currently - states we have 11 injured players plus whatever to come from tonight. Possible illness/Covid in the camp.

N'Lundulu, may have tweaked his hamstring again. Scully shrugging his injury off as a tight groin that he didn't want to risk.

The problem this year against last is we have had less of a pre season ? And more knocks injuries. Feel we lost 2 points v Wycombe and Bolton yet maybe and maybe 2 v Gillingham yet Fleetwood would be disappointed with losing . Not much in any game so far definately not outplayed. Signs are good yet to be fair the big money teams will make a mockery of the ffp system so will have more Depth etc. As for this game I'm sure Ma will get some positives for players who need match fitness just hope the two lads who went off are precautions

Not eleven injured. Bridcutt was rested and Jackson and Adelakun not risked due to lack of match practice. So Walsh, Maguire, Roughan, Draper, Colonel, edun!!!, hopper injured and melbourne may have covid. some of these are hopefully minor given we have Saturday to Tuesday again.

Not eleven injured. Bridcutt was rested and Jackson and Adelakun not risked due to lack of match practice. So Walsh, Maguire, Roughan, Draper, Colonel, edun!!!, hopper injured and melbourne may have covid. some of these are hopefully minor given we have Saturday to Tuesday again.

Side MA say that about Jackson and Adelukun? I'm not sure i follow the logic!