Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Manchester United U21s

Not sure WBA would be very pleased with their goalie playing up front.

Why ever not?
He's still a professional footballer.
And it might have been discovered that centre forward was a better position for him...
Doubtless when a few years younger he was told to go in goal simply because he was a beanpole. So he might never have had the chance to play in a different position that might suit him better. Who knows!

Perhaps - and we know this was the case with Habergham too. But one of the main purposes of the sports science team is to keep injuries to a minimum, and we haven't done that for a long time.
How do you know they haven't? It might be if we had the medical team from say Rotherham our players would average an extra game out each time they are injured, it might not be the case but I'm doubt there's anyone on this list (including Clive and Liam) in a position to really judge this. Given the chance of a player getting injured might just be a difference of a 10th of a second difference in their position whilst been tackled I think it's unfair to criticise the medical team.

Well I’ve just finished reading all 17 pages of comments on tonight’s match and you’d never have thought we managed a victory and played fairly convincingly by all accounts too.
That though doesn’t seem to satisfy the doom merchants, the moaners the groaners, the ones who know everything about injuries and how to avoid getting them but, still wonder why our first team goalkeeper wasn’t put on from the bench as an outfield replacement, those questioning the manager’s training methods, his team selections and reasons for only having three substitutes etc.
What is the matter with everybody you moan when we lose, now you moan when we win ffs give it a rest and support the team, do you honestly believe that this total negativity is helpful. I know it’s only about 30 people who love to sound off but, if it pisses me off, think what it does to manager, players, officials and more tolerant supporters.
I‘ve been a member of vitals for the past 4 years and undoubtedly the abuse, criticism and negativity is now at a new low. I‘ve tried in my short period of membership to always be constructive but, destructive seems to be the new norm. This will be my last post on here, for different reasons I sincerely hope the doom mongers will do the same. Up the Imps.

Oh give it a rest.

Said the same at half time; needed a goal to bounce in off his arse and he would have calmed down. Seemed to try too hard second half, and was not as effective.

Definitely needs fitness and a goal. My only concern, as expressed by others, was his lack of willingness to press when their defense had the ball, and to chase back. Hopefully that is fitness related. If not, MA just will not select him.

Not sure WBA would be very pleased with their goalie playing up front.
Absolutely, if MA had brought him on and then Griffiths picked up an injury playing in an unfamiliar role, the club's reputation for being a good place to develop young loan players would have been severely damaged.

How do you know they haven't? It might be if we had the medical team from say Rotherham our players would average an extra game out each time they are injured, it might not be the case but I'm doubt there's anyone on this list (including Clive and Liam) in a position to really judge this. Given the chance of a player getting injured might just be a difference of a 10th of a second difference in their position whilst been tackled I think it's unfair to criticise the medical team.

OK then, by that logic all the praise they received from many people (including myself) during the Cowley era is also unfair.

Definitely needs fitness and a goal. My only concern, as expressed by others, was his lack of willingness to press when their defense had the ball, and to chase back. Hopefully that is fitness related. If not, MA just will not select him.
Morton was the same. Hopper times his pressing and runs back, that requires fitness and experience which the younger loanees haven't had. Worth noting that 'second presser' is often McGrandles, again using his experience.

N'Lundulu's only had a game and a half, clearly short of match fitness. He's clearly got more pace and strength than Morton but needs time to build fitness. Finishing looked iffy but again fitness and confidence might be at the root of that.

OK then, by that logic all the praise they received from many people (including myself) during the Cowley era is also unfair.
No that doesn't follow, at that point the Cowleys were actively saying how good they were so praise from us was also justified. I've not seen MA or anyone from the playing side criticise them publically.

Nlundulu did some good things and then looked very rusty in others. Think he was trying really hard to impress, I was desperate for him to score because I reckon he would have been more settled and calmer after.
I agree, he looks a really interesting player to me. Came looking for the ball on lots of occasions and created a few opportunities for himself out of nothing. Execution was poor simply because he hasn't played any football for months, but I can see why MA has taken him.

As others have mentioned, it is quite right that he doesn't do any defending like Hopper does, and that could be a negative. He can be taught to do that, of course.

I agree, he looks a really interesting player to me. Came looking for the ball on lots of occasions and created a few opportunities for himself out of nothing. Execution was poor simply because he hasn't played any football for months, but I can see why MA has taken him.

As others have mentioned, it is quite right that he doesn't do any defending like Hopper does, and that could be a negative. He can be taught to do that, of course.
a couple of unknowns... was it a game for closing down the back four? maybe we were set up to let them pass around a bit at the back and then win the ball back in midfield?

judging whether he is not defending like hopper in one and a half games seems a bit premature.